Prevent 1Password 7 from launching in startup

kdeemer
kdeemer
Community Member

I am using 1Password X. How can I prevent 1Password 7 from launching on startup? (Mac OSX 10.14.6)

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 11.16.2
OS Version: OXS 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:prevent 1Password 7 from launching ion startup

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kdeemer!

When 1Password for Mac is open, you can right-click on its icon in the dock > select Options and then disable Open at Login if it is currently enabled :)

• kdeemer
    kdeemer
    Community Member

Thanks. I had already done that but 1Password continues to load at startup.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2019

@kdeemer:

Is 1Password 7 listed under Login items in your Mac's System Preferences panel?

• kdeemer
    kdeemer
    Community Member

No, it isn’t.

• @kdeemer

What are you seeing from 1Password when your mac starts up? If you're just seeing the menu bar icon, and want to prevent that, you can either uncheck 1Password > Preferences > General > Show 1Password in the menu bar, or uncheck 1Password > Preferences > Browsers > Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running.

Ben

• kdeemer
    kdeemer
    Community Member

In Activity Monitor, I have
    1Password 7
    1Password Extension Helper
    1PasswordNativeMessageHost

• Okay, but are you actually getting a window from 1Password when you log into your Mac? If not the instructions I posted above should help.

Ben

• kdeemer
    kdeemer
    Community Member

I do not get any window on login, but 1Pasword Extension helper still loads.

• @kdeemer

Please confirm you've unchecked 1Password > Preferences > Browsers > Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running.

Ben

• kdeemer
    kdeemer
    Community Member

Confirmed

• Do you have any web browsers launching on startup, and if so do you have the 1Password extension installed in those browsers?

Ben

• kdeemer
    kdeemer
    Community Member

I have 1PasswordX installed in Firefox, but it does not launch at startup

• @kdeemer

That's really odd. I'm not seeing that behavior here. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/108193/prevent-1password-7-from-launching-in-startup#latest
    • Your forum username: kdeemer

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Hopefully the report will give us some clue as to why this is happening on your system but not on mine.

Ben

• AllUserNamesInUse
    AllUserNamesInUse
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

I've just noticed a similar problem. I am a license holder so I am not current with updates since 7.3.2. I have recently noticed 1PW7 at boot even though no browser is running. The program appears for just a second in the menu bar, then disappears. It is not running after boot completes. No browsers are set to load at startup. I am just guessing but, based on having NOT seen (noticed?) this in the past, it may have something to do with a recent OS update (running 10.15.4). Regarding the "uncheck helper" recommendation, that option says "required with Safari" in my version. I'm less concerned with something "not working" than I am curious about the behavior. After all the Zoom mini-server panic, I think Mac users in general are leery of stuff running without knowing what is going on. Thanks in advance for your comments!

• Hi @AllUserNamesInUse

My apologies but I'm not entirely clear on what your question for us is here. Could you please let me know what question you'd like answered?

Ben

• AllUserNamesInUse
    AllUserNamesInUse
    Community Member

Why does it launch and then quit? Is there a way to prevent 1PW from launching?

• @AllUserNamesInUse

Please let me know what you have set for these settings:

1. 1Password > Preferences > General > Show 1Password in the menu bar
    2. 1Password > Preferences > Browsers > Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running

Ben

• AllUserNamesInUse
    AllUserNamesInUse
    Community Member

1) unchecked
    2) checked (must be checked to use the helper in Safari, which I do)

• Thanks @AllUserNamesInUse. That's what I suspected. What is happening is the helper is launching (as set in pref #2), and then once the preferences are fully loaded the icon for it is being hidden (as set in pref #1). It is working as you've set it, just ideally we wouldn't have that delay where the icon is shown briefly when you've selected the option to not have it shown.

Ben

• AllUserNamesInUse
    AllUserNamesInUse
    Community Member

Thanks! I think I get it now. The browser extension is that menu bar thingy that disappears once it is running, and it is not visible in the app switcher or Mission Control. Once I log in via the extension, I have access to items, but not to the controls in the "real" app. For those controls, I have to either log in to the real app or, if I have already logged in with the extension, then the app no longer needs a PW when selected. The icon appears in the app switcher and the window in Mission Control only when the real app is running, regardless of where I enter the PW. Am I close?

• @AllUserNamesInUse

We're getting a bit off topic here, but: yes, you're pretty close. :) So what you're calling the browser extension is 1Password mini (also referred to as the "Extension Helper"), which is a component of what we generally refer to as the "main app." The browser extension is actually a separately packaged bit, except when talking about Safari. The browser extension for Safari is bundled inside the main app as well, but is still technically a separate component from mini. So, there are three components, all of which are bundled inside 1Password for Mac, interacting:

• The main app's main window (this is what you may see in Mission Control)
    • 1Password mini
    • The browser extension (the Safari App Extension or SAE)

The browser extension doesn't actually hold on to any data. Every time it needs data it talks to 1Password mini. This is why you have to have mini running in order for the browser extensions to work. The main window and mini are just separate interfaces to the same application.

Make sense?

Ben

• AllUserNamesInUse
    AllUserNamesInUse
    Community Member

Yep. Thanks for the always amazing tech support - even off topic 😉

• You're very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.