To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Directed to Mac App Store when getting started in Safari

earthsaver
earthsaver
Community Member
edited April 2020 in Memberships

I was helping a client start using 1Password on her Mac. Using Safari to start a personal membership, the website kept redirecting her to the Mac App Store to download rather than to the sign-up page.

Notably, the App Store subscription pricing is different on each device. On the Mac version, it's $4/month for an individual. On the iPhone version, it's $9 for six months and $4/month after. Only the web offers $3/month.

In any case, we couldn't seem to get to the 1Password signup page until I sent her the direct link to visit in Safari. I noticed that in Chrome the 1Password personal trial link goes to the correct page while in Safari it goes to the App Store.

After finally setting up her new account, using 1Password from the Mac App Store, and enabling the Safari extension, 1Password refused to prompt to save the credentials for any of four websites we tried, not even one of which was a bank or medical site. I've directed my client to try deleting the app and redownloading from 1Password, hoping this might change things. Have you seen this? I wasn't able to garner any wisdom from your support pages about this issue.

P.S. I noticed that the current App Store version is 7.4.4 while the website delivers 7.4.3.

1Password Version: 7.4.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• Hi @earthsaver

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble your client experienced. Let's see if we can figure out what happened here...

P.S. I noticed that the current App Store version is 7.4.4 while the website delivers 7.4.3.

Correct. There was a bug that existed only in the App Store version of 1Password for Mac that required an update to resolve. As it did not affect the version from our website, that update was not pushed through that channel. The version numbers will again match after the next release.

In any case, we couldn't seem to get to the 1Password signup page until I sent her the direct link to visit in Safari.

The only way in which I'm aware of Safari directing people to the App Store with regard to 1Password is when using the Safari > Preferences > Extensions > Get More Extensions button. Is that possibly the path the client was taking? I generally do not recommend installing 1Password this way. Instead, I tend to direct people to our website. If 1Password has already been installed through the App Store then I'd recommend the following in order to switch:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Open and then quit 1Password completely — ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash, but DO NOT use a "cleaner" app to remove 1Password if you have one (MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, AppZapper, etc)
    4. Empty the Trash
    5. Restart your Mac
    6. Install 1Password from our website: Download for Mac
    7. Open 1Password
    8. Make sure the extension is shown and enabled in Safari under Preferences > Extensions (do not click "More Extensions")
    9. Verify that you're able to use the extension to fill logins

Let me know how it turns out. :)

Notably, the App Store subscription pricing is different on each device. On the Mac version, it's $4/month for an individual. On the iPhone version, it's $9 for six months and $4/month after. Only the web offers $3/month.

Correct. 3rd party sources may offer different pricing (and perhaps even different pricing models) than we do directly. Also, it is worth noting that the $2.99 USD + tax pricing available through our website is the price for annual invoicing (e.g. you'd be billed $35.88 + tax once per year). Monthly invoicing is available but is more expensive.

Our gift cards also offer an opportunity for discount, but can only be used when billed directly. Our $125 gift card is currently on sale for $99:

Digital Gift Cards | Give the Gift of Secure Passwords

Unlike most other promotions, this offer can be stacked, so you can get the discounted rate both from paying annually and by buying a $125 gift card for $99.

1Password refused to prompt to save the credentials for any of four websites we tried

This is often a result of a conflict with another password manager. Is Safari's built-in password manager enabled?

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser | 1Password

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• earthsaver
    earthsaver
    Community Member

Hi Ben. Thanks for your insight on this. We'll see if my client has any trouble with 1Password via your website and if she needs to disable Safari's password manager.

Meanwhile, can you troubleshoot the website issue I reported? If you go to the 1Password Personal & Family signup page using Safari, and click Try Free for 30 days for the personal edition, where do you go?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2020

@earthsaver

Thanks for that. I did just test as you said, and I am taken to the App Store when following that path... I'm not entirely sure why that would be, so I'll be happy to ask the question. I'm guessing that was an intentional decision though. It may be working as intended. We do obviously offer the app through the App Store, and so I suppose it isn't entirely unreasonable to direct some customers there, but considering it only seems to happen from Safari (and not e.g. Chrome or Firefox on Mac) it does seem inconsistent. :)

Ben

• earthsaver
    earthsaver
    Community Member

Agreed about inconsistency. For me it was a hassle because I couldn't direct my client through the expected setup procedure on the website at the expected price. Thanks for looking into it!

• Understood. You're welcome. :+1: :)

Ben

• @earthsaver

I heard back from the team on this and the decision was made to do this based on this change in Safari:

If you only use 1Password in Safari, it’s time to start also using an app

As other browsers do not have the same situation (yet), we haven't (yet) redirected them to the App Store. While we support Apple's decision to implement this privacy focused change the difficulty is that in signing up through Safari there is an increased risk of losing the Secret Key. As such we've decided that at least for now the best path is to direct Safari users to sign up within the app, and the App Store is an easy route through which to do that.

Folks can of course continue to sign up through a web browser if desired, but we'd recommend using Firefox or Chrome for that. This is actually how I prefer to direct people, as then the Emergency Kit is downloaded as part of the sign up process.

Ben

• earthsaver
    earthsaver
    Community Member

This is confusing to me, Ben. You might want to actually present that question to prospective customers as part of the signup process. Just because someone prefers to use Safari doesn't mean they don't plan to use 1Password with other apps (or browsers), too. Just ask.

I think it would be more direct to provide this wisdom during signup. That way, the Emergency Kit gets downloaded and you communicate the importance of using additional channels. In fact, if the specific risk is of losing the Secret Key and the Emergency Kit is the core method of retaining the Secret Key, then it makes little sense why you would take customers down a different signup path in the first place.

What do you think?

Thanks!

• Ben
  • Thanks for the feedback. I don't have further specific thoughts to share at this point, but I'll certainly bring up the topic for additional brainstorming. For the moment, it is working the way the team intended, so it is unlikely to change in the immediate future, but we can certainly talk about how to best move forward. It is very possible other browsers will follow Safari's lead, and so we'll want to figure out how to best handle the situation particularly if that becomes the case.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.