Number of characters possible in password generator (feature request)

Options
Flower
Flower
Community Member
edited May 2020 in iOS

Why do you have a bad password generator in the iOS application? See what a good password generator on your website! On the website, you can set the password length to 100 characters, in the application a maximum of 64 characters. Yes, you might say that it is too much, but why not use longer passwords. Especially on the website you have already done it! Further. Why should I manually specify the number of digits and characters in the password in the application? Do it the same way as on the website, so that I can simply use checkboxes. It would also be nice to increase the maximum password length to 128 characters. And by the way, the extension for Google Chrome and the application for macOS also have a bad password generators. Thank you!

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Flower

Thanks for taking the time to write in with this request. This becomes a bit of a challenge for a few reasons:

1. Many services are incapable of accepting exceptionally long passwords. In some cases attempting to use one can even cause problems with the service. Of course, those services would ideally fix these issues, but progress on that front has been slow.
    2. It becomes a race to the bottom - if we increase to 100 then people will ask for 200. If we increase to 200 people will ask for 400. ;)

A high entropy 64 character password is unlikely to be brute forced with computing power either of us will see in our lifetime, and if technology ever appears to be getting anywhere near to the point where that might be feasible we can certainly adjust at that time.

That isn't to say we're rejecting this request. It certainly makes sense that we should be consistent. I'll pass the feedback along to the development team for further consideration. :+1: Thanks.

Ben

• Flower
    Flower
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @Ben!

Yes, I agree that 64 characters is enough. But it seems to be a good idea to use simple checkboxes, instead of manually specifying the count of digits and symbols in password generator.

• Ben
    Options

Agreed! I know this has been on the radar for our team for a while... it is just a matter of putting in the work to make it consistent. I believe we're heading in the direction of what you see in the web app.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.