https://my.1password.com/ stopped syncing with 1Password for Windows versiond 7.4.763

I just noticed a couple of days ago that https://my.1password.com/ stopped syncing with 1Password for Windows version 7.4.763.

New items I save via the web don't get sent to the Windows desktop app, and new items I save in the desktop app don't get sent to https://my.1password.com.

I'm not sure when this started, but no more than a few days ago. No idea how to force them to sync, can't find instructions.

Please help.

1Password Version: Windows version 7.4.763
Extension Version: 1Password X version 1.18.0
OS Version: Windows 10 Home version 1909
Sync Type: where do I find sync type?
Referrer: forum-search:stopped syncing windows web desktop

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Millard,

Sorry to hear that you are having these sync issues! Do you see any Sync errors in 1Password 7 for Windows?

Also, if you share a diagnostics report from 1Password 7 on your PC, it will be really helpful. Use this guide to generate such report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Thank you! :+1:

Stay safe,
    Greg

• Millard
    Millard
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

Hi @Greg, thanks for your response. I haven't seen anything about sync errors. Strangely, for an distributed app that shares data across platforms, I can't find a trace or reference to syncing at all, not anywhere in the app. No settings, no status, nowhere to manually sync on demand, nothing. Very weird. It's like the software expects me to assume it's functioning, always, with no contingencies for potential glitches.

I'm happy to generate the report if necessary but first could you tell me if I'm missing something somewhere? Is there supposed to be somewhere I can manually sync and/or check on the state of syncing (last time synced, etc.) ?

• If you choose Accounts in your Windows desktop app, @Millard, then hover over your account name, it will show a last synced date/time. If it's not syncing at all, there are two tells – one is a little crossed out cloud icon in your app toolbar when there is no connectivity at all. Another is an "Offline Changes" section in your sidebar that will show any changes you've made in your Windows app that have failed to sync to the server.

• Millard
    Millard
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

@bundtkate thank you. Wow, I'd never have found that tiny greyed out type at the bottom of a panel I'd have to know to look for without you! 😁

So it hasn't synced in over a week.

And yes, I do have one offline change as you can see.

On the flip side, there are an unknown number of changes on the web app side that the desktop app is clueless of. I use 1Password OFTEN. Probably a good dozen at least.

No way to manually sync?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2020

Hi @Millard,

Thank you for the detailed reply with screenshots! :+1:

Usually, 1Password 7 for Windows syncs when you lock and unlock the app. However, please try to do the following now:

1) Open and unlock 1Password 7.

2) Click "Offline changes" in the sidebar and find that item in question in your vault.

3) Re-edit that item on 1Password.com in the browser (not in the app), save it, and check if the issue remains.

Let us know. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• Millard
    Millard
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

@Greg maybe I misunderstand, but it sounds like you just instructed me to 'sync' by manually entering the same information in both places. Of course, then, the item will reside in the app and online. How does that fix the problem that it doesn't exist in both places because it synced automatically? Or what am I misunderstanding?

• He's not asking you to make any actual changes to the item on the web, @Millard, just to edit and save. While we've not tacked down quite why 7.4 specifically seems to be bringing these to light, one issue we've seen a fair bit of recently is old unresolved sync conflicts suddenly cropping up. Editing the item and saving it on the web kicks conflict resolution back into gear and can fix up those specific offline changes if that so happens to be the issue. Given you're seeing your app not having synced at all for a week, I'm a bit disinclined to think that's the trouble, but depending on how the stars aligned it is possible that's the trouble as I'm not sure how that timer in the Accounts menu might update if the sync fails. I'd give it a go and see if it helps. If not, probably best we get a diagnostics report:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com and include a link to this thread for context should someone other than Greg or myself happen to be the first to see your message.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  For bonus points, post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :+1:

Thanks!

• Millard
    Millard
    Community Member

@bundtkate well then it makes no sense. There is nothing on the web, NO ITEM there, which I thought would be clear from what I said so far.

New item in the desktop app. No item on the web. No 'sync conflict'.

No sync, period.

Not a single sync in over a week. New items created on either platform do not sync to the other platform.

I'm not sure what that isn't clear. I literally cannot do what Greg said because there's nothing there to do it to.

OK, diagnostic report coming up shortly...

• Millard
    Millard
    Community Member

@Greg and @bundtkate...

Well, it's clear now that for whatever reason my 1Password desktop app is hosed. I followed the instructions for generating the diagnostic report, and absolutely nothing happens. Tried it twice, nothing. No prompt to save any file anywhere.

At this point I want to uninstall and reinstall the Windows app. Any reason I shouldn't?

And if I do, any special considerations, or is it just a simple uninstall/reinstall like anything else?

• Millard
    Millard
    Community Member

PS. Guys thanks for your help and responsiveness. I've been slow responding because I'm used to far longer turnaround times from CS elsewhere. I appreciate your attentiveness! 😊

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Millard,

Thank you for the clarification! In this case, please try to do the following instead:

1) Close 1Password 7 if it is running by right-clicking on the 1Password icon in the notification area to select "Exit".
    2) Open Windows File Explorer and enter the following in the address bar: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password
    3) Copy your data folder there and name a copy "backup-data".

After that:

4) Sign in to your account on 1Password.com in your browser.
    5) Click your name in the top right, select Get the Apps, and then click the blue button under step two that says "Already have the app? Add your account directly." Allow this link to open 1Password for Windows.
    6) That will open 1Password 7 and fill all of your credentials there. Enter your Master Password, click Sign In.

Signing in to your account again might force 1Password 7 to sync these offline changes. If you have any questions about the steps above, let us know. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• Millard
    Millard
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

@Greg thanks man, that was easy to follow. But it just keeps getting weirder...

Check it out.

Pretty sure I'd better reinstall the Windows app.

Again, any special considerations, steps, backups, etc? If the problem is a corruption in a "data" folder file, I don't want to propagate it forward.

I tried to attach the log file here but no matter what I do I get:

"File format is not allowed."

I tried the .log file and tried renaming the extension to .txt. No joy.

Please give me an email address so I can send the log file to you.

• I wouldn't reinstall the app just yet, @Millard. Mostly because you do have offline changes and, while uninstalling doesn't normally impact data (it persists through an uninstall) and I can't fathom why it would, I genuinely don't know what's wrong right now without looking at the logs and I'd rather be a bit paranoid and not rely on any assumptions about normal operations, given your struggles. On a similar note, make sure you keep that data-backup folder. We may need it.

Also, I apologize about the misunderstanding regarding the nature of the non-syncing items. Kind of in the same vein as your being used to slower support, I'm generally used to folks being fairly non-specific about problems so I tend to assume a broader definition of "new".

Finally, logs. Definitely don't upload them here ever. The forum is public and these can contain things you'd probably not want to broadcast to the whole internet. If you could zip up as many as you can reasonably attach from your logs folder (feel free to zip the whole folder if you can) and send 'em over to support+windows@1password.com that would be great. Same drill as with the diagnostics – put a link to this thread in the body of the email in case it's someone other than Greg or I that comes across your email first and if you are able to drop that support ID number here, that'll help us make sure we get to it quickly as we tend to bounce between email and the forum so might see it here before there. :+1:

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2020

Hi @Millard,

We found your logs on our side and get back to you via email soon. Thanks!

++
    Greg

ref: MJU-78319-638

This discussion has been closed.