How do I close and delete 1password7 from my mac laptop?

Louise7
Louise7
Community Member

I have 1password6 on my Mac, and it works fine. Somehow I ended up with both 6 and 7 on my apple laptop, and I'd like to delete 7. Can you help?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I close and delete 1password7 from my mac laptop?

Comments

• Hi @Louise7

You should be able to drag 1Password 7 to the trash, restart the Mac, and then empty the trash. That said, As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you opt to use to an earlier version that is your prerogative, but it isn't something we can recommend. That said, licenses never expire, and so you can continue using any version you've licensed for as long as it works for you. Using version 6 should be considered a temporary measure. As things continue to evolve around the now retired v6 it will be less and less practical to continue using it. For example, Safari 13 uses an all new extension framework, and as such will not work with v6.

Ben

• Magnet6x6
    Magnet6x6
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

I have the same issue & I too wish to remove v7, however when I attempt to remove it I receive the error message
    "The item “1Password 7.app” can’t be moved to the Bin because it’s open."

As far as I can tell it isn't open and it doesn't show in the "Force Quit" menu.
    I'm using OS X 10.15.3 & planning to revert to 1Password 6.8.9

Any ideas on how I should proceed?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Magnet6x6:

1Password mini is probably still running in your menu bar. Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and see if you can move 1Password 7 now?

• Magnet6x6
    Magnet6x6
    Community Member

Hi ag_na

Thanks for the suggestion, I gave it multiple tries, including closing Safari, unfortunately it didn't work
    The new message is "The item “1Password 7.app” can’t be moved to the Bin because some of its extensions are in use"

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Magnet6x6:

Would you be able to post a screenshot of this second message? The fact that you received a different message now than the one you originally mentioned shows that something changed, which is good :+1:

• Magnet6x6
    Magnet6x6
    Community Member

• Hey @Magnet6x6, could you try quitting Safari and 1Password completely again and then just double check that you're still having the issue with uninstalling 1Password? If you are, open Activity Monitor from the /Applications/Utilities, then in the top-right search box type 1Password. If there are any 1Password applications listed, select each one and click the cross icon in the top-left corner:
    cross icon

For now, on each one choose Quit rather than Force Quit.

After that, try uninstalling 1Password 7 again. Let us know how you get on. :smile:

• Magnet6x6
    Magnet6x6
    Community Member

Hi Mathew

Thank you, I've successfully uninstalled v7.
    Unfortunately now V6.8.9 won't open. Its stuck on the unlock screen

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Magnet6x6:

May I ask if you can try rebooting once? After all these changes and multiple 1Password apps installed at the same time, perhaps starting fresh will help.

• Magnet6x6
    Magnet6x6
    Community Member

Hi ag_ana

rebooting has had no affect

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Magnet6x6:

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• Magnet6x6
    Magnet6x6
    Community Member

Is support+forum entered as one word?

• Yes, you'd enter it exactly as shown above: support+forum@agilebits.com. Thanks!

Ben

• Magnet6x6
    Magnet6x6
    Community Member

Many thanks

while waiting I sent it to support & received "[#ZQD-55762-512]". HTH

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2020

Thanks @Magnet6x6. It appears my colleague Corey has already been in touch and is awaiting your reply via email. Thanks!

Ben

ref: ZQD-55762-512

This discussion has been closed.