Bought a subscription today, sent wife an invite, filled it out but password won't work

cn614cp
cn614cp
Community Member

Purchased a subscription today. Set up 1Password on a mac mini and macbook pro. Sent my wife an invitation, she filled it out and logged in online and printed out emergency kit. The 1 Password app on her macbook pro running High Sierra (fully updated) won't allow her to login. Since we can't log into 1Password we obviously can't delete or trash the app and reload it.
We have 1Passwork 7 app on the machine but can't open or delete it. We just downloaded 1Password 7 today, so it should be the current version.
We are stuck.

1Password Version: unknown
Extension Version: Unknown
OS Version: High Sierra 10.13.6
Sync Type: Unknown
Referrer: forum-search:quitting 1 Password 7 on a Mac

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cn614cp! Welcome to the forum!

The 1 Password app on her macbook pro running High Sierra (fully updated) won't allow her to login.

What happens exactly when she tries to login? Does she see an error message?

Since we can't log into 1Password we obviously can't delete or trash the app and reload it.

You can certainly trash the app and install it again even if you are not able to login inside it. What you do in your operating system, including removing and reinstalling apps, has nothing to do with what is happening inside the app itself. Having said this, I don't think this is something that would be resolved by uninstalling the app, so I don't think it's something we have to try yet.

• cn614cp
    cn614cp
    Community Member

Thank you very much! When she tries to log in her 1Password is not correct as it the 1Password screen blinks red and "vibrates" indicating the password is incorrect. We created the password and it works to log into 1Password on line.
    We have tried to trash the app but we can't as every time we trash it or try to remove it with Clean my Mac (a last resort), the app says "The item 1Password7.app can't be moved to the trash because it is open."
    Nothing we do closes the app.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2020

@cn614cp:

We have tried to trash the app but we can't as every time we trash it or try to remove it with Clean my Mac (a last resort), the app says "The item 1Password7.app can't be moved to the trash because it is open."
    Nothing we do closes the app.

From what you are writing, it sounds like 1Password mini is still running in your menu bar. Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and see if you are able to drag the app to the Trash this time?

• cn614cp
    cn614cp
    Community Member

Thank you again! Unfortunately there is no icon for 1Password in the upper right menu bar. Is it possible it may be running elsewhere? If so any guidance to where that may be would be quite helpful.

• cn614cp
    cn614cp
    Community Member

I was able to locate a program called activity monitor and was able to stop 1Password then delete the app. Unfortunately that did not solve the problem. She is running High Sierra 10.13.6 and is updated.
    I reloaded the app from 1Password logged in as my wife. Everything seems normal but her master password will not open the 1Password app on her computer. We are using the exact same password we log into 1Password on the web. After two tries we hit a hint of black cat for some reason.
    I don't know why such a simple thing such as this is not working. It is probably on her computer but I am out of ideas again.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@cn614cp:

It sounds like your wife created an old vault on this machine some time ago, which she forgot since then. At this point, I suggest resetting the 1Password app, and then adding the Families account afterwards. If she is able to use those credentials in the browser already, she will be able to add her account to the app after resetting it, since the old vault will have been removed.

• cn614cp
    cn614cp
    Community Member

Well YOU did a great job and thank YOU very much. It now works! I did what was suggested in the order suggested but it still failed. I then did it again but this time after resetting the 1Password app, I uninstalled the app with Clean My Mac X. Uninstalling it did not work from the Clean My Mac X suggestion once I deleted the app. I had to open Clean My Mac X and run the uninstall. Once it was complete, I logged back in (as my wife) and 1Password. 1 Password did not present a popup to ask me to install the app. There was a area on the 1Password page to download the app which I did. Once done I logged in with my eyes closed and what do you know, it WORKED!
    Thank you again for being there and guiding me to a successful outcome!

• @cn614cp

On behalf of ag_ana, you're welcome. Let us know if you have additional questions.

This discussion has been closed.