My wife isn't showing up in our family plan...she seems to be on her own

jschussler
jschussler
Community Member

I don't recall how I set all this up, but net: I have a family plan, for which my wife should be a member. But she shows up as having her own separate account, so now when I try to share a vault with her, it doesn't show up.

How do I get my wife's account integrated into my family plan?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS Sierra
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @jschussler

I'm sorry to hear about the confusion. The first thing to do would be to invite her to create an account within your 1Password Families membership. Instructions for that can be found here:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

She should then add this new account to her 1Password for Mac app alongside her existing account (i.e. don't remove the existing account, yet). Once both accounts are added she can move data from the old to the new:

Move and copy items

Once complete I'd recommend:

1. Verify that she has an Emergency Kit for and can sign into each account at https://my.1password.com - and is clear which is which
    2. Verify that all items she wants to keep are visible in her account that is part of the family membership using the web interface
    3. Cancel the subscription for the extraneous account: Manage your 1Password subscription
    4. (Optional) Delete the extraneous account and discard the Emergency Kit for it: How to delete your 1Password account
    5. Add the new account to any devices that don't already have it.

If she follows step 4 then the account should be removed from all of her devices automatically the next time she unlocks 1Password.

That should do it, but if either of you have any questions about any of that please let me know. :)

Ben

• jschussler
    jschussler
    Community Member

She has been added to my family account, and I've shared a vault with her. 1Password claims she has read/write privs to that vault. And yet it doesn't show up in her 1Password app. Note that her 1Password app has her logged in as the same email...these aren't different accounts.

Is there a private email I can send you our account info to so you can investigate directly?

• @jschussler

Have you added her 1Password account to the Application? You can add multiple accounts to the Application. They can even be the same email address with one exception. It sounds as if the application was already setup with the first attempt at adding her to the family and you now need to add her new family account to the application.

You can always send us an email using support@1password.com if you so choose.

• jschussler
    jschussler
    Community Member

If I try to add an additional account and set up manually (since I can't scan on her laptop), it wants a sign-in address, email address, secret key, and master password. I know what her email address and master password are, and can get her secret key on the web site. But it's unclear what her sign in address would be for the family account. Or even if the secret key is the same for the family account...

• @jschussier

The sign in address would be my.1password.com Each account would have a separate Secret Key, that is setup generated during creation. The Master Password is set as well, along with her email address.

If you haven't done so, you would send an invite to her from the Family Account, once she receives it, she will accept the invite and that will walk her through creation of her account. https://support.1password.com/family-sharing/#invite-your-family

• If she doesn't know her credentials for the account within your 1Password Families membership then you can put it through account recovery for her:

Recover accounts for family or team members | 1Password

I hope that helps!

Ben

• jschussler
    jschussler
    Community Member

Yep, that helped, all fixed now. Thanks.

• Glad to hear it. Thanks for the update @jschussler.

Ben

• EDJackson
    EDJackson
    Community Member

On a similar note, my wife can log into the website using her own credentials, be she cannot log into the app or the Chrome extension on her computer using her credentials. We installed the app after completing her invite, setting up with her unique credentials, emergency code, etc. However, it still requires my master password for the app (without MFA required on my computer, mind you) for app and Chrome. Baffled. Any suggestions?

• @EDJackson

Was your account logged into the 1Password installation, and then you added her's? If so, 1Password will unlock with the 1st account attached to the installation. I see you said, after completing the invite but wanted to double-check.

If you open 1Password, Preferences > Accounts... How many accounts are listed there?

• EDJackson
    EDJackson
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

It is only showing 1 account in the app on her computer, the family account.

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2020

@EDJackson

my wife can log into the website using her own credentials

Please ensure you have a copy of her Emergency Kit. It can be printed out from within her account using https://my.1password.com To get the Emergency Kit. https://support.1password.com/emergency-kit/

If she has no standalone vaults outside of the membership, you would be clear to reset the installation on the Mac. https://support.1password.com/starting-over/ You will need the Emergency Kit to set up the Mac again.

• EDJackson
    EDJackson
    Community Member

I saved that when we created. I will try reinstalling on Windows 10 system. Thank you for your assistance.

• ag_tommy
    edited April 2020

@EDJackson

Sorry, Mac guy here. Use your particular device. ;)

Please let us know how it goes.

This discussion has been closed.