1password7 vs 1passwordX

Options

I apparently purchased 1password7 and installed it on my mac awhile back. But then didn't have time to set it up. Now I'm setting it up, and I see I have 1passwordX 1.18.1 in my Chrome browser. I also have 1password extension 4.7.5.90 in my Chrome browser. I also had plans to use 1password when I'm on my work PC which is a Windows 10 machine.

But I do not understand the difference between 1password7 vs 1password extension vs 1passwordX?

1passwordX seems to work nice - I think that's what I'm using. But when I change passwords on sites, why does that change not get pushed to my 1password7 software, which I am comparing against what is happening in 1passwordX? When I make a change to a site password in 1passwordX, it disappears as an entry in 1password7? Yet 1password7 has some nice tools to find duplicate passwords etc, that 1passwordX doesn't seem to have.

So this integration or lack if it, makes no sense. Why wouldn't you explain all this to your customers in a way they will understand?

How do I get updates done in 1passwordX, which I'm reading makes an update directly to my 1password account, pushed down to my 1password7 software running on my Mac?

I'm looking for "sync" settings as referenced in different places - I assume somehow I need to set that up. But it must already be synced somehow, or why would my entries be getting deleted in 1password7 as I update them in 1passwordX?

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OSX 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @darrennj! Great questions and welcome to 1Password! There are many differences between the 1Password 7, the 1Password extension (companion extension), and 1Password X. To start:

• 1Password 7 is the version our desktop apps are currently on - both Mac and Windows.

• The 1Password extension is the original browser extension — It is reliant upon the main app as well as a means for communication with it. You can use it to help you save and fill items across the internet.

• 1Password X is a full featured 1Password extension for Chrome (Chromium based browsers) and Firefox that can be used independently of the main 1Password app (but runs smoothly alongside it), and access to it comes with our 1Password.com accounts. It has a bunch of awesome features that the 1Password browser extension doesn't have yet, like your logins will be available directly within the web-page you are viewing. 1Password X will also receive new updates to saving and filling logic before the other apps.

You can get to know each of them a little better with the following guides:

1Password Support | Get to know 1Password for Windows
    1Password Support | Get to know 1Password X
    1Password Support | Learn about the 1Password companion extension

Have you been paying for 1Password but not using it? How long ago did you sign up or buy a license?

• darrennj
    darrennj
    Community Member
    Options

Ceceilia,

Thanks for the reply. I think I purchased 1password in March.

What still is a puzzle for me...

When I change passwords on sites with 1PasswordX, why does that change not get pushed to my 1password7 software, which I am comparing against what is happening in 1passwordX? When I make a change to a site password in 1passwordX, it disappears as an entry in 1password7? Yet 1password7 has some nice tools to find duplicate passwords etc, that 1passwordX doesn't seem to have.

How do I get updates done in 1passwordX, which I'm reading makes an update directly to my 1password account, pushed down to my 1password7 software running on my Mac?

I'm looking for "sync" settings as referenced in different places - I assume somehow I need to set that up. But it must already be synced somehow, or why would my entries be getting deleted in 1password7 as I update them in 1passwordX?

• darrennj
    darrennj
    Community Member
    Options

Just to clarify, I bought a family license.

• 🤦‍♀️I'm so sorry @darrennj — By the time I'd finished describing the differences between the apps, I'd forgotten about the sync issue and neglected to go back and re-read your initial message. Please forgive me! :)

There are a few things that can cause item sync issues ranging from network errors to sign in errors, or perhaps a different account added to each app. You mentioned purchasing a license; 1Password X does require a membership (account) to use, and in order for your data in that account’s vaults to sync to another app, that account needs to be signed in to in both apps.

I’m thinking the best way to solve this is going to be via email. Would you be willing to send us a diagnostics report to support+extension@1password.com from the email address you used to buy your license (or sign up for your account), from the device you’re running into issues on? That way we can get a better look at what might be going on.

| 1Password Support - How to send a 1Password diagnostics report |

Please provide a link to this conversation and feel free to mention my name so I can hop in and help you out there.

This discussion has been closed.