When does master password change when syncing 1Password.opvaults between Macs?

Options
leisurehound
leisurehound
Community Member

I use WLAN synching between a mac and several iOS devices, but because I also have 2 other macs and I won't use cloud synching for my vault., I simply ensure each mac is synching to a local file and then I SFTP the the opvault directory/files to the 'master' mac and then back down to the other 2 macs. This works mostly well, but its seems unclear under what circumstances the master password of one mac gets the master password of the other? Is there a direction that makes this deterministic or is it just random and the only suitable workaround is to ensure all devices have the same master password? I'm currently seeing that the master password of one mac silently inherits the master password of the other. Is there a way to control this? Or better yet, allow WLAN sync between Macs and just eliminate the hoops to sync macs without using the cloud?

Tim

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @leisurehound

Without a 1Password.com account it is a bit uncertain. We had previously outlined in a blog post how it is designed to work, but apparently that didn't survive the migration to our newer blogging platform a few years back; sorry. The long and short of it though was that unfortunately there isn't a reliable way to determine if a Master Password change on one device will impact other devices syncing with the same standalone vault.

Or better yet, allow WLAN sync between Macs and just eliminate the hoops to sync macs without using the cloud?

Decidedly not. 1Password.com is the way forward. All of our development effort is currently focused there, and will likely remain for the foreseeable future. We will not be adding WLAN Sync anywhere it doesn't already exist. I'd love to get you on a more modern and stable setup. We'd be happy to help you upgrade. A couple things to note:

1. 1Password.com vaults can be accessed through our native apps and 1Password X extension even when offline
    2. Our security model was built from the ground up such that the security of your data is not determined by the sync method you choose. We have a guide outlining how the security for 1Password.com was designed, including a detailed white paper, here: About the 1Password security model

If you'd like to discuss further please reach out to us by email at support@1password.com. Thanks!

Ben

• pieroenricogilardi
    pieroenricogilardi
    Community Member
    Options

i will try

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good @pieroenricogilardi, thank you :+1:

This discussion has been closed.