Wrong Keyboard input in password field

Options
1Password_Q
1Password_Q
Community Member

When entering in all three fields the same text, the in input in the field is different.
Titel Input - Test$$ -> Field display = Test$$
Benutzername Input - Test$$ -> Field display = Test$$
Password Input - Test$$ —> Field Input = Test\

1Password is the only Password where I have seen this behavior. Any ideas how this can be solved?

Lastest iOS Version
Lastest 1Password APP

1Password Version: 4.7.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 13.4.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @1Password_Q! Welcome to the forum!

I have just created a test item on my iOS device following your instructions, and I could not reproduce this behavior with the password field. What keyboard layout are you currently using? We will be happy to test that in case it has something to do with what you are seeing.

1Password Version: 4.7.4

Can you also please clarify what you are referring to here?

• 1Password_Q
    1Password_Q
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana I use Swiss German with a Logitech keyboard. Works with other Apps without any problems.

• 1Password_Q
    1Password_Q
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana: Just checked with the lastest update (1password v7.5 on iOS). The problem still exists.

• tohebo
    tohebo
    Community Member
    Options

I‘ve had the same problem since the last update of 1Password!

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

1Password by default disallows the use of 3rd party keyboards. This can be overridden for non-password fields in 1Password > Settings > Advanced by enabling the "Allow Custom Keyboards" option. Password fields only allow the default keyboard though, this is an iOS feature not a 1Password one. As such we cannot offer an override for it.

That said, I'm wondering if this is the issue at all, since you mentioned other apps do not exhibit this problem. Can you please confirm that typing into password fields doesn't force you to the default iOS keyboard (QWERTY)? What if you disconnect the hardware keyboard and use the on-screen keyboard instead?

My understanding is that all standard password fields in 3rd party apps on iOS use QWERTY.

Please let me know.

Ben

• tohebo
    tohebo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Sorry but i don‘t use a third party keybord. Only the softkey from my ipad. On passwordfield the layout changes from german QWERTZ to englisch QWERTY.

• 1Password_Q
    1Password_Q
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben it works with with the onscreen keyboard. Nevertheless, I do not understand why the exernal keyboard entry only fails in password field (as shown in print screen).

The recommended setting „allow custom keyboards“ does not change the false character in the password field.

The used keyboard is QUERTZ.

I tested the behavior in the password field in combination with the external keyboard in:

• apple password manager
    • SecureSafe (swiss password manager)
    • Stongbox password safe APP
    • 1password in Safari browser

All of these password managers and your website did not change the characters in the password field.

So, what is your proof that the character change in the 1password app is an Apple feature?

• Ben
    Options

On passwordfield the layout changes from german QWERTZ to englisch QWERTY.

Correct, that is my understanding as well:
    "My understanding is that all standard password fields in 3rd party apps on iOS use QWERTY."

I don't believe that is something we have influence over. Are you finding other apps are using QWERTZ in their password fields?

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2020
    Options

@1Password_Q

My apologies but I'm being told the switch to QWERTY in password fields is not something we can address on our end. I will double check with development, but that was the latest update that was written on this issue.

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#2296

This discussion has been closed.