Never see QR Code when trying to setup OTP for Amazon

mcripster
mcripster
Community Member

I've tried a few times in the last several months to get OTP working with 1Password on my Mac.
https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/

I went to twofactorauth.org
https://twofactorauth.org/

Then searched for Amazon Retail and clicked on the blue book icon which took me to the Amazon Two Step Authentication page. I setup Two Step Authentication months ago and have been getting the OTP's sent to me via text or email. BUT when I learned that OTP could be integrated with 1Password somehow, I was interested
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201596330

BUT after going to the above page at Amazon and following the couple of links there, I never get to a page that displays a QR code that I can scan and save into my 1Password. This is pretty strange because the Two Factor documentation at Amazon is pretty straight forward and brief. So there must be a small detail that I am missing, that is not terribly obvious.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Carl

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:otp

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mcripster!

I setup Two Step Authentication months ago and have been getting the OTP's sent to me via text or email.

It sounds like you didn't choose the authenticator app option months ago when you activated 2FA for your Amazon account, if you are getting your codes sent via text.

Perhaps following these instructions from the Amazon documentation will help update your 2FA settings on the site to add an authenticator app to your sign in options.

• mcripster
    mcripster
    Community Member

Hi ag_ana,
    I went through the process again, then found a page with the option of selecting an Authenticator App. I was then able to get this working. Thanks for the tip!

• On behalf of ana you're very welcome. :)

Ben

• mcripster
    mcripster
    Community Member

Since I was on here last, the OTP on Amazon still doesn't work, at least not the way I expect it work.

I am a Mac user, with the latest version of OSX and all the latest updates from apple.

1) go to amazon.com
    2) Fill my email from 1password, hit enter
    3) Fill my password from 1password, hit enter
    4) Then an OTP is texted to my phone AND an OTP is copied to my clipboard from 1password. BUT those two OTP's are not the same, and the OTP copied to my clipboard is incorrect!

So I always have to fat finger the OTP texted to my phone, into the OTP field on the Amazon login page, which always works, but this can't be the way OTP was intended to work.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mcripster:

Can you make sure you remove the SMS authentication option from your Amazon account settings? It sounds like you have left that enabled.

• mcripster
    mcripster
    Community Member

Where in the world (I mean where in Amazon) can I disable my SMS authentication option?
    I tried My Account -> Login and Security and couldn't find it there.
    Thanks!

• @mcripster

You may need to disable 2FA on Amazon altogether and set up as new. Some sites will not allow you to change your setup without verifying you have a way into the account.

You would need to scan the QR code again etc. Make sure to set a backup option.

• mcripster
    mcripster
    Community Member

Hi ag_tommy and ag_ana,

Disabling, then re-enabling 2FA in my Amazon accounted seemed to do the trick.

I am now able to copy the OTP from 1Password into the amazon OTP field and now authentication works.

In fact, just clicking the AutoFill button in 1Password copies the OTP value into the OTP field in the Amazon page. Perfect, exactly the way it should work.

Thank you both for your help today!

• From the both of us to you, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.