Password generation with words consistency with platforms

Options

On the iOS app, the words password auto-generator uses a separator (default of a hyphen) but in the Chrome X extension, spaces are used with no other choice of a separator. Surely it should be consistent?

As a feature request, I'd like the Words password auto-generator to allow upper case characters and with random numbers at the start or end - but still with recognisable words - so something like 28-words-separator-Like-this-849

Love the product though!

1Password Version: 7.5.1
Extension Version: 1.18.1
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:feature request

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @moogthemoog!

1Password X allows you to choose the word separator that you prefer:

Is this option not appearing for you?

• moogthemoog
    moogthemoog
    Community Member
    Options

No, it's not showing... these are the only options shown (on the specific login entry).
    In addition, I can see no area on the general settings dealing with this.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@moogthemoog – Ah, you're looking at the 1Password web app! 1Password X is a browser extension. Do you have 1Password X installed? If not, you can install it in Chrome here. It'll end up being much more efficient to use 1Password X (or one of the 1Password desktop apps) to create your items and generate your passwords. Let me know if you have any trouble. I'll be here for you!

• moogthemoog
    moogthemoog
    Community Member
    Options

OK I'm a little confused; the link you sent doesn't work [https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-x-]
    When I click from your website for 1Password X on [https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/], the Chrome link takes me to [https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-x-–-password-ma/aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa]

but this final link is to add the Chrome Extension, which is already installed, and in which the original issue exists (i.e. no option to add in hyphens in password auto-generation)

I don't have any version of 1Password installed on my PC.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2020
    Options

@moogthemoog – I'm so sorry about that! My link must not have pasted correctly when creating a hyperlink. I'm glad you ended up finding the link on our website regardless.

Now that I know you've got 1Password X installed, here are the instructions to access the password generator in 1Password X (and add hyphens to a generated password):

1. Click the 1Password X icon in your browser toolbar.
    2. Click the big + button.
    3. Click Password Generator at the top of the list.

From there, you can change the type to "memorable password" and choose from the different separator options (see screenshot below). You'll then be able to copy or autofill the generated password.

• moogthemoog
    moogthemoog
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, that is a lot better - I'm glad it has the option to capitalize - but please may I make a feature request to give the option of including numbers as well.

However, most times that I look for the auto-generation of passwords is when I'm editing an existing login, and I don't have similar options to the method you showed me, I just get what's shown below.

I think I'm most frustrated by the inconsistency - because I know it's possible in the iOS app, or the Password Generation method you advised previously, then my expectation is that I should be able to use this method (with the same options) when I'm editing a password in an existing or new login.

Kind regards
    Jon

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@moogthemoog – You have the option to use numbers as separators. I understand your feature request, but I wanted to make sure you were aware of that option as well. I'll go ahead and pass your feedback along in regards to bringing consistency to the password generator across all 1Password apps (including the web app). Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. :)

ref: dev/b5/b5#6994
    ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#8

This discussion has been closed.