"Signout" seems to be used in different contexts?

rkdietz
rkdietz
Community Member
edited April 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Posting in Windows; but really a question based upon usage.

New potential user question.

In a web browser; I select an option to "sign out" and I am signed out. come back again later and my secret key is known. Sounds right.

In the windows app however, if I go to the accounts/sign out option; I do get signed out; but when I come back; it is if I'm on a fresh start; having again to enter my secret key as though this installation was never used before.

IOS appears to be the same as Windows; I don't have a Mac to check there.

So in IOS; the way to "lock" is to either close the app or set the time for lock?
Same for Windows app I guess; though the only default "lock" option seems to be when the machine is locked.

Thanks,

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10; 1803
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:windows app signout

Comments

• That's an interesting point, @rkdietz. The concept of "signing out" of 1Password is honestly a bit weird and I think lock might be the better term for what you're doing when selecting "sign out" in the web app. From a 1Password perspective, "sign out" generally means "purge all of the data you've got in the app and require a fresh authorization next time you use it". This is what your iOS and Windows apps are doing when you choose to sign out. When you lock them, whether you do so by specifically telling the app to lock (there's an option to that in settings on iOS and a lock icon on the title bar near the top right on Windows) or have it triggered by your settings, then your apps are behaving the same way the web app does when you choose to sign out there.

Generally, you seem to have a handle on things, but I do see some definitely value in more consistency between web and apps here. And as for locking generally, I covered the manual options above, but you can learn more about auto lock settings here, if you'd like. And, of course, if you have additional questions we'll be here to help. :+1:

• rkdietz
    rkdietz
    Community Member

Thank you for your confirmation.

This begs the question then: In the web version; how does one "sign out"; meaning purge all the data and start fresh for the specific browser?

• If you head to https://start.1password.com, @rkdietz, you'll see a list of accounts you've signed into in that browser. Click "Edit list", then click the ⛔ symbol by the account you want to remove. That will delete it from your browser.

With that said, I would strongly encourage you to keep your account info saved anywhere you've signed in on devices you control and trust. This data is only stored locally (yep, even in your browser), so it's a nice safety net in case you so happen to lose access to one or more of your apps. I've saved many a customer from potential data loss by asking them to visit that URL and finding their Secret Key is still locally cached. Heck, it has even helped me regain access to a test account I thought I'd lost to a Windows reinstall. Turned out, I'd signed into that account in my browser on my Mac so I was able to recover it. Perhaps not so miraculous as recovering actual data, but just goes to show it can happen to any of us and there's value in having a backup plan, even if you don't think you'll need it. :chuffed:

• rkdietz
    rkdietz
    Community Member

Got it thanks!

• No prob, @rkdietz! Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and if you have any other questions as you're getting to know 1Password, we'll be here for ya. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.