How to use Markdown syntax

Options

I use Windows 10, and 1Password on my PC and 1Password X on my new Edge. In a blog post on Tags, a link to Markdown Syntax was provided. It seems like a good way to highlight words within a Secure Note so I tried it. When I added the syntax, like star star test star star, all I could see was what I input. The blog post said it works in 1Password X and two other versions, but not 1Password App.

What am I doing wrong?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:how to use markdown

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @break80! Thanks for getting in touch. Here's what I'm seeing when I created a Secure Note with **test**:

If you're seeing something different, would you mind sending me a screenshot? Please be sure not to include any personal information – this is a public forum.

• break80
    break80
    Community Member
    Options

Here is what I see...!

• break80
    break80
    Community Member
    Options

Now I can see the highlighted item in the notes.

In the attached I can now see both the text2 in the editor with the stars and in the search from the browser without the stars but is highlighted. So I needed to observe it in the search AFTER I created it. My mistake...I never expected that so never even looked in the search.

It looks like the Markdown stuff only works for 1Password X.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@break80 – Thanks for getting back to me. I'm wondering what blog post you originally saw that sparked this question. You mentioned a blog post explaining markdown was available in 1Password X. Did it also mention other 1Password apps? If you want to link me the blog post you're referring to, I can comb through it just to make sure we're on the same page.

• break80
    break80
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @kaitlyn,

Sorry, the blog didn't specifically say available in 1Password. I simply assumed in your ecosystem of 1Password programs it would be available in all versions. I was wrong.

The original blog was from 1Password. I could probably find it again with great difficulty but not necessary.

Question about posting....In new posts, there is a subtle request to type in information related the my computer, versions, etc. I did it once and it took me a whole to gather what was requested. I am not used to looking for such things.
    It was time consuming. Is there an easy way to gather that info with a click or two? I would love to insert it but by the time I find what you are asking for I forgot all of what I want to ask. Maybe Agilebits bright programmers could provide a simple utility program that gathers what you need and automatically places it at the start or end of the posting ... we users could then run it when we submit questions. Make sense?

Break80

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I understand. I just wanted to make sure we didn't have any incorrect info out there. Thanks for clarifying that for me, and don't worry about going through the trouble of finding the blog post again. We're striving towards complete consistency between all of the 1Password clients, and it's definitely something to look forward to in the future. :)

Supplying the version numbers for us can be extremely helpful if you're experiencing an issue that we need to try and reproduce. It helps with more than just that, honestly, but I understand it takes a few extra minutes. Generally, we ask for the same info anyways, so it's more convenient to ask for it in your original post to avoid a few extra back and forth comments (which can span over a few days at times).

Our bright programmers have created a diagnostics report tool, but it's something that can only be sent via email. When it comes to the forum, we have to rely on the user for that sort of information. If you'd ever prefer to reach out to us via email, you're more than welcome to. You can email support@1password.com to get in touch with us, and depending on your issue, we may ask you to generate a diagnostics report which would automatically include what we ask for in forum posts.

As far as an easy way to get said information, a large majority (if not all) Mac apps have the option to see the version number by clicking the app name in the top left corner of your menu bar, then click About [insert app name here]. For example, in the 1Password for Mac desktop app, you can click 1Password 7 in the menu bar, then click About 1Password to see the version number. The same goes for your operating system, only you'll click the Apple logo in the top left of your menu bar, then select About This Mac. I hope that helps! If you have any other questions, let me know.

This discussion has been closed.