Chrome login box overlaps 1Password login box on bankofamerica.com

Chrome login prompt overlaps 1Password selection blocking first entry in account list.
How about identify the Chrome autofill box and paint next to it or move it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @ptr727! Thanks for posting about this behavior. Unfortunately, we're not able to detect Chrome's autofill prompts nor can we render on top of them. In general, we recommend that folks turn off their browser's built-in password manager in order to avoid situations like this.

• ptr727
    ptr727
    Community Member

Yeah, problem is Chrome passwords works everywhere I use Chrome, 1Password only works where there is a plugin, e.g. iOS, iPad, no 1Password in Chrome, not useful.

So, either play nice with Chrome prompts when in Chrome, or build a password sync for Google passwords, or I just use Chrome passwords.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yeah, problem is Chrome passwords works everywhere I use Chrome, 1Password only works where there is a plugin, e.g. iOS, iPad, no 1Password in Chrome, not useful.

@ptr727: Can you elaborate? As far as I can tell, we've got filling options on all platforms now with our native apps. For example, you can use the 1Password extension for iOS to fill in Chrome (and most other browsers) on iOS devices. Have you tried that? Also both the self-contained extension 1Password X as well as our desktop app extensions on Windows and macOS work with Chrome. And filling on Android too. So there are a lot of options. What are you using?

So, either play nice with Chrome prompts when in Chrome, or build a password sync for Google passwords, or I just use Chrome passwords.

No can do. We're just using Chrome's official extension APIs, and we don't have any control over Chrome itself, so we can't move it out of the way or anything if it's blocking our stuff. Sorry! And we just can't condone using browser "autofill" given then known privacy and security risks involved anyway. But I'm interested to hear more about devices where you're having trouble using 1Password. :)

• ptr727
    ptr727
    Community Member

I have the 1Password Extension for iOS installed, I do not use Safari, and unlike the Chrome desktop extension, iOS fill requires manual steps to use on iOS Chrome, where iOS Chrome just works by itself.

"No can do", you are painting the password fill UI, you can paint it wherever you want, I'm just asking that you paint it where I can see it, even on top of Chrome if must be.

"Sorry!", can't condone using Chrome's autofill, your opinion aside, I have many years worth of passwords in Chrome, magnitudes more than in 1Password, so it is my choice to use more than one password filler, as a paying customer I'd like you to play nice with Chrome, and not tell me to not use its autofill because you don't trust it.

• Thanks for clarifying how you're using Chrome on iOS, @ptr727. Chrome's password manager has the advantage of being built-in to the browser, which allows it to provide extra convenience on mobile platforms.

We'd love to work better with Chrome in these situations, but the fact is, we can't. Chrome's API doesn't provide the functionality to check whether Chrome's password prompts are present or are conflicting with 1Password X in any way. Since Chrome's password manager is built-in, it has the added benfit of displaying on top of all other elements, including 1Password X despite our best attempts. We could also choose to paint the inline menu elsewhere, but there are no obvious alternative locations that match the convenience of painting directly under the field.

It's entirely your decision on whether you want to use 1Password alongside Chrome's password manager, but this is one of the reasons why we discourage using both simultaneously. We are considering adding an option to specifically prevent 1Password X from displaying on certain websites, though, which might be a good alternative for you.

• leoncarl
    leoncarl
    Community Member

Why can't you (1Password) provide an option in your extension to render/paint ABOVE the field? Or even better, provide <^>v arrows around the 1Password logo in a password field that allows the user to select which direction the overlay is rendered. That would allow both to co-exist and give the user the flexibility. This would also allow users with any existing passwords in Chrome a way to migrate them to 1Password.
    1) Select your existing info from Chrome's manager (pop down)
    2) Save this "new" info to a 1Password vault
    3) User can now remove the password from Chrome's manager if they wish.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback, @leoncarl. I'll pass it along for you.

ref: dev/core/core#718

• ryanearlroberts
    ryanearlroberts
    Community Member

When I click an entry box to login, I am encountering dual prompts from Google Passwords and 1Password. Unfortunately, Google Passwords layers atop 1Password obstructing use of 1Password X and making it very difficult to use.

How do you recommend I proceed?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ryanearlroberts! Thanks for jumping in. Dalton's first comment still stands. Here it is again:

Unfortunately, we're not able to detect Chrome's autofill prompts nor can we render on top of them. In general, we recommend that folks turn off their browser's built-in password manager in order to avoid situations like this.

If you've already disabled Google's password manager, you'll want to delete any data you currently have stored there as well (after you save that data in 1Password, of course). You can find their guide on how to delete old data here.

This discussion has been closed.