Move from Dropbox to iCloud

Hi,

1Password 4 user with Apple and Windows use, everything is fine.

Wanting to drop my Dropbox subscription and use iCloud, can easily enough achieve this by following the instructions.

Ive copied my entire Dropbox structure including /apps/1password to my iCloud drive using the Windows iCloud drive function/app,

Changed the sync service in my iPhone without any issues, but how can I select the new location in 1Password windows version?
Do I just point it to the 1password folder now?

Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.6.11.91
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox want iCloud

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Hi there @bleh24 :)
    iCloud syncing is only available for Apple devices. Windows applications have no current way of accessing iCloud so it is impossible to sync that way. If you want to sync between Apple devices and non-Apple devices your main two options are dropbox or a 1Password.com subscription account.

Sorry if that is not the answer you are looking for, but Apple does not provide other platforms with the means to access iCloud for purposes like syncing.

-Corey

• bleh24
    bleh24
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

Thanks @Corey_C

Yeah was just trying to confirm if I can just point the Windows client to the iCloud drive in Windows Explorer.

So I dont understand why dropbox is any different to iCloud drive, when running the iCloud drive tool/extension

Feels weird to pay for a subscription when I spent a decent amount on licences for everything.

Thanks!

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

No problem @bleh24 :)

Yeah was just trying to confirm if I can just point the Windows client to the iCloud drive in Windows Explorer.
    So I dont understand why dropbox is any different to iCloud drive, when running the iCloud drive tool/extension

No, you can't. As for why? I don't know, ask Apple. It's their rules. iCloud syncing doesn't exactly just use iCloud Drive. I don't know the technicals, but Apple restricts the functionality to Apple devices.

Feels weird to pay for a subscription when I spent a decent amount on licences for everything.

Understandable and subscriptions are not required. They provide some benefits such as seamless syncing and access to all versions of 1Password, including all updates, on all platforms. But if you prefer to go the license route, you can continue to do that.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hello @bleh24,

Thank you for reaching out and using 1Password!

Corey is right here, Sync via iCloud is available only on Apple devices and you won't be able to use it to sync your data in 1Password 4 for Windows. There are two separate iCloud services that Apple provides, the iCloud Drive, which is what you see in macOS's Finder and what's available on Windows, the second is CloudKit. CloudKit is what we use in 1Password on macOS and iOS to store your 1Password data in your iCloud's private database only accessible to 1Password and you. We don't know when it may be possible to get CloudKit support in 1Password for Windows, there's no implementation available yet on Windows.

If you prefer local vaults in 1Password and want to drop your Dropbox subscription, you can downgrade your Dropbox account to Dropbox Basic, which is free and includes 2 GB of space. I think it will be enough to sync your 1Password data. :)

Please let me know if it helps. Thanks!

@Corey_C: Thank you for helping out! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• bleh24
    bleh24
    Community Member

Thanks all! @Greg @Corey_C

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@bleh24: You are very welcome! :+1: Feel free to contact us anytime, we are always ready to help.

Cheers,
    Greg

• kOoLiNuS
    kOoLiNuS
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

This page should be updated since it's been a while that iCloud Drive is available on Windows too…

With 1password 6 (on macOS now) I just had to select iCloud as my new preferred Cloud service in the Sync section of the app, it asked me to leave (or not) the keychain to Dropbox before making a copy of into iCloud Drive

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kOoLiNuS:

Thank you for the update! This is certainly possible in 1Password 6 on macOS: however, this is a discussion about 1Password for Windows, and only 1Password for Mac supports iCloud sync.

• kOoLiNuS
    kOoLiNuS
    Community Member

Thanks! So I'll have to roll back onto something different …
    I thought that 1password 4 for Windows (which I have at work) should be able to reade the iCloud Drive folder :-/

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kOoLiNuS:

I am afraid not. If you need to sync your data on multiple platforms you have the option of using Dropbox, or 1Password.com, which is optimized for 1Password data.

• kOoLiNuS
    kOoLiNuS
    Community Member

I am evaluating the update to the new 1password, but I have a pool of different (and old) operating systems. Thanks for the further explanation…

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kOoLiNuS:

You are welcome! You might find this page on system requirements useful if you are using several platforms, with different operating system versions:

System requirements for 1Password

So unless some devices are very old, you should be able to upgrade and use 1Password.com even on devices that are not using the very latest version of the operating system :)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@kOoLiNuS:

There are two separate iCloud services that Apple provides, the iCloud Drive, which is what you see in macOS's Finder and what's available on Windows, the second is CloudKit. CloudKit is what we use in 1Password on macOS and iOS to store your 1Password data in your iCloud's private database only accessible to 1Password and you. There is no CloudKit implementation on Windows.

If you want to use 1Password on different platforms, then 1Password membership account is the way to go. :) Let us know if you have any specific questions, we are always ready to help.

Cheers,
    Greg

• kOoLiNuS
    kOoLiNuS
    Community Member

Ciao Greg!
    I've asket to the support via the form on the 1password website if my old 1password 4 for Windows and 1password6 for older Macs will read the 1password.com stored passwords.
    Still waiting for the answer :-/

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kOoLiNuS:

Did you receive a ticket number after you sent your message to us?

In the meantime, you can find the answer to your questions in the system requirements page I shared with you above: in order to use 1Password.com accounts you need 1Password for Mac version 6.6. or later, and 1Password for Windows version 7 or later.

• kOoLiNuS
    kOoLiNuS
    Community Member

Thanks! I did not understand your reply above. I'll double check that page.
    I had a reply via BitBot with a regular ticket number …

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kOoLiNuS:

If you want to share your ticket number here, we can connect it to this conversation, so the person who will reply to your email can see what we have been discussing here too.

This discussion has been closed.