Why can’t I create a new field without creating a new section?

Options
securityfreak
securityfreak
Community Member
edited April 2020 in Mac

I don’t get the point of sections. Why can’t I just create a new field, like for a phone number or an email address, without having to create a “section“? The design of 1Password is roughly similar to the design of Apple‘s Contacts app. Both have lots of default fields as well as the ability to add other fields. But the Contacts app doesn’t have anything called a “section.” It’s just a bunch of fields one after the other. Which I like.

For example, if I want to add a phone number to a login item in 1Password, perhaps because it’s the recovery phone number, I have to create a phone number “section” first, below which there will be a separate “phone number“ field where the number is listed. That’s awfully busy and redundant.

If other people want to create sections, that’s great, but why not give people the ability to just add a field without having to use sections?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @securityfreak!

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to to share this feedback! We appreciate every idea that could make 1Password even better.

I can see how this could be useful to you, so while I cannot make any promises, I can tell you that I have shared your feedback internally :)

Once again, thank you and have a wonderful day!

• sandy_suppleweed
    sandy_suppleweed
    Community Member
    Options

@securityfreak: I agree with your request in principle, but I think this is already possible. Just use the first custom section of the item but leave the section title blank. It will appear like this:

You can add as much stuff as you like to this headerless section, and it works for any type of item, login or not.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the suggestion @sandy_suppleweed! :+1:

• securityfreak
    securityfreak
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the tip. Still a bit messy. Would love just the simple ability to add a field without needing to mess around with sections. Seems like a no-brainer from a product design standpoint. Added complexity like sections is a nice-to-have but shouldn’t be a requirement.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for chiming in on this too @securityfreak :+1:

This discussion has been closed.