Expiry date field for membership category

Options

Dear team,

I found some issues with the expiry date field when creating an entry for membership category entry.
There is a default expiry date field of format mm/yyyy for this category.

1. If I change this field to date type (dd.mm.yyyy), the app doesn't detect expired/soon-to-expire entries
  2. If I create a custom field for expiry date with the format mm/yyyy, the app don't recognize this field for considering expiry conditions
  3. If I revert the expiry date field type from date format (dd.mm.yyyy) to month (mm/yyyy) [reversing pt.1], the expiry conditions are not recognized as well

To summarize, I think we have a problem with this expiry date field which doesn't behave correctly if I either change the data type or create a custom field to met the expiry conditions.

Note: The expiry conditions are recognized by a small tower icon attached to the entry's icon.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Thanks in advance for your support.
Harish

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• This is currently working as intended, @harish_ravikumar. We technically don't have an expiry date field under the hood. We have mm/yyyy fields and dd/mm/yyyy fields, both of which are simple "date" fields because they could be used to store a litany of info. Issue date, expiry date, birthday, date of purchase ... and that's just off the top of my head. The expiry dates are, of course, relevant to Watchtower. It cares about these so it can let you know when something is expiring. But, not every date field is intended to contain an expiry date and since there is no expiry date specific field, Watchtower has no way to know whether date fields you add are intended to be that or not.

So, how does 1Password tell which of these fields are relevant and which aren't? In short, it often doesn't know, but for items we know need an expiry date, we designate fields in the default template as expiry dates. These are special and only exist as part of the templates. Watchtower monitors these fields and these fields only to warn you when something is expiring while avoiding telling you that you are expiring soon if your birthday is coming up. As soon as you change the field's type, though, it becomes a custom field instead and Watchtower will ignore it because it no longer knows whether or not this is, genuinely, still an expiration date field. Once you've made that sort of change, the only way to get Watchtower to start monitoring that field again is to restore the item from item history to a time before you altered that field in any way.

• harish_ravikumar
    harish_ravikumar
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate Thanks for your clarification. Have a good day!

Regards,
    Harish

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of bundtkate, you are welcome @harish_ravikumar!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.