To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I can’t log in

Baabmartin
Baabmartin
Community Member

I signed up for a family plan this morning on an IOS device. I didn’t know about the secret key and now I cannot log in via the app or via the web. It tells me if I need help finding the secret key log in. But to log in I need the secret key. Help.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Baabmartin! Welcome to the forum!

Did you sign up within the 1Password app, or within the browser on your iOS device?

• Baabmartin
    Baabmartin
    Community Member

With the app.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Baabmartin:

Thank you for the confirmation. In this case, you should be able to retrieve the Secret Key directly within the app you used to sign up: open the 1Password app on your iOS device > Settings > 1Password Accounts > Select your account from the list > tap on the Secret Key field to reveal it.

• Baabmartin
    Baabmartin
    Community Member

Thank you, but I must have really done something wrong. When I open the app I get the 1st attached screen, if I select iCloud, I get the 2nd screen. And if I select 1Password.com, I get the 3rd screen. I never really get “into” the app.

• Baabmartin
    Baabmartin
    Community Member

Thank you, but I must have really done something wrong. When I open the app I get the 1st attached screen, if I select iCloud, I get the 2nd screen. And if I select 1Password.com, I get the 3rd screen. I never really get “into” the app.
    Oops I am not allowed to attach files. So I’ll describe the 3 screens. The 1st says welcome to 1Password and Are you using 1Password and a list of 1Password.com, iCloud, Dropbox and something else. I click on iCloud and it takes me to a screen that says no vaults were found. If I click on 1Password.com it takes me to a screen that says add account with entry fields for sign in address, email address, secret key, master password. I know my master password and obviously my email, but the sign in address and secret key I don’t have.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Baabmartin:

You can attach screenshots to your forum reply by clicking on the image icon:

I click on iCloud and it takes me to a screen that says no vaults were found.

This is normal: if you signed up for an account on 1Password.com, you don't need to use iCloud, so no vaults will be there. The correct option to choose on that screen is indeed 1Password.com.

I know my master password and obviously my email, but the sign in address and secret key I don’t have.

Your sign in address is typically https://my.1password.com. If you do not have access to your Secret Key, I think the best thing to do in your case since the account is brand new is to delete it and create a new one, so you can save your new account credentials.

After you have deleted your account, you can sign up for a new one. If possible, I recommend doing this from a computer, so you can download the Emergency Kit, the document with all your account credentials, including your Secret Key :)

• Baabmartin
    Baabmartin
    Community Member

Thanks. I’ll give that a try.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good :+1: Let us know how it goes :)

• Baabmartin
    Baabmartin
    Community Member

Thanks. That fixed the problem. I am now able to enter passwords. I have a few quick questions though,
    1) is there anyway to bulk download website login data from Apple’s password manager or do I have to do them 1 at a time?
    2) I am in process of adding my wife to 1Password on her PC. I added her email, confirmed it on her PC and now it is asking for a master password. Should I enter mine or should I have her make up her own?
    Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Baabmartin:

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear that :)

1) is there anyway to bulk download website login data from Apple’s password manager or do I have to do them 1 at a time?

Do you mean Apple Keychain?

2) I am in process of adding my wife to 1Password on her PC. I added her email, confirmed it on her PC and now it is asking for a master password. Should I enter mine or should I have her make up her own?

She should make up her own, since these would be two different accounts, one for you and one for her. This is the password that will be used to unlock your respective 1Password apps, so they should be different.

• Baabmartin
    Baabmartin
    Community Member

Thank you. 1st Question - I am not sure what’s in the keychain and whats in Safari autofill.
    Thanks for the answer to question 2.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Baabmartin:

I suggest taking a look at the converter suite that one of our forum members created. It also has support to import Keychain data, so it should help you if you have data stored there :)

• Baabmartin
    Baabmartin
    Community Member

Thanks

• On behalf of Ana you're very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.