What is going on with the upgrade options, ANYONE ELSE THINKING THIS?

morsecodeboxmorsecodebox Junior Member
edited April 24 in Purchasing

Hello, I am flabbergasted at the way your company has acted. I understand you might need a different business model but you have crippled my 1 password 6 to force me to upgrade. When I look at the upgrade options it's nearly impossible to work out how to get a standalone license. Why are you guys being so clandestine about this? I have been with you since the start and must have recommended 100s of people to you. In one unthinking moment, you have destroyed the respect I, and it would seem many others, had for you. It's clear to everyone that you have gone about this in the wrong way, just look at the reviews on the app store. You were once the king of the hill, well-respected award-winning, now not many people are going to buy if they read the reviews. Just so you know I have become increasingly angry about not being able to use 1password with all my browsers. It's forced me to use chrome and keychain and where you helped me keep everything together and safe previously you now have caused chaos. Did you guys even think about this plan?

**How much is it to upgrade to a stand-alone license from v6? **

Also, a reviewer pointed out that he got charged more because we are in the UK,

**exactly how much will it be to upgrade to a subscription or stand-alone in £s. ** (Pound sterling please). He was shown one price and when he downloaded and went to upgrade to subscription is was considerably more than it should have been in £s. Not good enough to just blame the exchange rate or tax.

I can not tell you how hacked off (deleted stronger word) I am, mainly because I recommenced so many people and they have started moaning at me now because over the past 8 months or so they have run into the same problems I have. I have tried to ignore the issue for myself while apologising, but can't anymore.

If I can find a way to migrate quickly to a comparable software, I'm gone. Which is sad.

**Please in the meantime tell me the actual cost to for a single and family subscription in the UK, and the upgrade cost of single licenses. **

I can not believe the damage you have done to your reputation, looking at the forums people are furious. Seriously, did you ever hold a planning meeting or run this by focus groups? Very bad. IS ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS ISSUE/THOUGHTS?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member
    edited April 24

Hi @morsecodebox! Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback! I see that you have also emailed us the same message, so I will let you continue the conversation over there, but I am also going to reply to your questions here too in case it's useful to someone else reading this in the future :)

**How much is it to upgrade to a stand-alone license from v6? **

A standalone license for 1Password 7 is currently $64.99. You can see the price for a standalone license right after installing 1Password 7, directly inside the app, before you proceed with the purchase.

Also, a reviewer pointed out that he got charged more because we are in the UK,

We only charge in USD, so the final price in the UK depends on the current currency rate, so the final price will depend on the exchange rate applied by your bank. However, if you prefer to sign up with an Apple subscription via Apple and pay directly in GBP to avoid conversion rates, the price will be chosen by Apple depending on your region. In this case, you can see pricing information directly in GBP in the App Store app listing page.

**Please in the meantime tell me the actual cost to for a single and family subscription in the UK, and the upgrade cost of single licenses. **

You can find all pricing information here. As said, our prices are only in USD if you decide to subscribe directly through us, so if your payment card is in GBP, the ultimate price will depend on the exchange rate, and the VAT charged by your country. Since VAT is different in every country, we cannot show the VAT rate for your country in advance, but only after you have entered your payment information. But this is the VAT rate that you already know, so you don't need to proceed in the checkout process just to know what VAT rate will be applied. For example, since VAT in the UK is 20%, you know that you need to add 20% to what the pricing page shows you, even before you enter your payment information.

But as I wrote at the beginning of this post, I will let you continue this conversation via email, and I wanted to thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts, and for being so passionate about 1Password! We really appreciate every feedback that can help us improve :)

ref: MWL-54934-386

• [quote]You can see the price for a standalone license right after installing 1Password 7, directly inside the app, before you proceed with the purchase.[/quote]

This is simply not good enough. Basically we need to download the new version, uninstall the old version, and upgrade just to be able to see the price. This is a slap in the face to your loyal users. What company that is proud of their product actively tries to hide the price? I just spent about 15 minutes trying to figure out the upgrade price. I have been exploring some other password manager options, but came back to see your pricing only to become agitated by the fact that you don't publish it. The whole situation has been so frustrating that I feel I need to go to an open source option to make sure I never have to deal with this again.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

We're no longer advertising licenses, and so they are admittedly a bit hidden, as is pricing for them. We're not actively trying to sell licenses. We have continued to make them available for those who know that is what they want. If you feel an open source solution would better meet your needs then by all means... I hope you find one that works well for you. If you change your mind and would like to give membership a try we'll be happy to help.

Ben

• ag_anaag_ana

Team Member

@morsecodebox:

Sorry for the frustration! Our colleague Intan replied to your email 5 days ago, but I see that you have not replied to that email yet though. I suggest you continue the conversation over there if you have more questions. I would just like to ask you to choose one support channel and stick with it instead of posting in multiple places, so it makes it easier for us to help you, by having all the information in one place.

Thank you for your collaboration!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file