Unable to login with Master Password (nothing has changed and I have emergency kit)

Options
Duckflipper
Duckflipper
Community Member

Hi Support,

I am having a really stressful time with 1 Password. I am trying to setup 1 Password on a brand new Mac. I cannot login either online or through the 1 Password App (fresh install). I have my 'Emergency Kit' and have used these details (copy/paste) to gain access to no avail. My Master Password has not changed – ever. I have found similar complaints on the Forum from this year but am unable to see how or if this can be solved. Please help, this is driving me crazy - thank you.

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: 7.4.3
OS Version: OSX 10.15.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Duckflipper! Welcome to the forum!

What is the exact error message that you are seeing when you try to login to your 1Password account on this new Mac?

• Duckflipper
    Duckflipper
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Error message as follows: 'We were unable to verify your credentials.
    Please make sure your username, password, and Secret Key are correct.'

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Duckflipper:

Thank you for the additional information. Are you able to use this same Master Password to unlock 1Password on your other devices? And if you do, can you please check whether you have a vault named Primary on these other devices?

• Duckflipper
    Duckflipper
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I have only ever used 1Password on one device (my old Mac).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Duckflipper:

Thank you for the confirmation. And on this old Mac, can you please check whether you have a vault named Primary inside the 1Password app?

• Duckflipper
    Duckflipper
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Unfortunately I can only read files from my old Mac (connecting in target mode) as the video card is dead. I can see the application in the apps folder and can view the package contents but cannot see any vaults.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Duckflipper:

I understand. I think you chose a different password for your 1Password app on your old Mac than the one you chose for your 1Password.com online account. For your privacy and security, your Master Password is not stored anywhere, only you know it. This means that it is not possible to recover it unless you are a member of a Families or Business accounts. If you have an Individual account or a standalone license, I recommend reading this article to try and recover your Master Password.

If, on the other hand, you are part of a Families or Business account, you can ask another Admin to recover your account for you.

If you still cannot recover your Master Password, we can certainly delete your account so you can create a new one with a new Master Password you know.

• Duckflipper
    Duckflipper
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ,

I don't understand. I have my Emergency kit and I have my master password. For what reason would I chose a different password to login in line – seriously! Your product is called 1 Password... so it should be 2 Passwords no? I have my master password, I have the Emergency Kit what on earth is going on here?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Duckflipper:

If you were previously storing your data in a local Primary vault, before migrating to 1Password.com, you could have chosen a different password (local vaults can have a separate password from your 1Password account, since they are stored in a different place - such as iCloud or Dropbox). This is why I was asking you to confirm if you indeed had such a vault on your old Mac. Unfortunately, since you said that the video is broken, you cannot confirm that, so I can only guess that this is why you see this difference.

Please follow the instructions I shared in my previous post to recover access, either via another admin if you are part of a Families or Business account, or through the password suggestions.

• Duckflipper
    Duckflipper
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "so I can only guess that this is why you see this difference" Can you please explain?

• Duckflipper
    Duckflipper
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, not wishing to waste any more time it would appear that we are at the end of the road here and there is clearly no way to recover my data. I have been a user of 1Password for over 7 years and and am very disappointed that I can no longer feel confident in your product. On that basis I have deleted my account and regrettably will not be using 1Password in the future.

• Ben
    Options

Ana was saying we can only speculate here but our best guess is that you did indeed choose a different Master Password for your 1Password.com account (which is the password you'd need for https://my.1password.com/ as well as to add 1Password to your new Mac) than the one you set for your Primary vault (which is the one you would've bee using to unlock 1Password for Mac on the old Mac). Perhaps the reason for that would be that 1Password.com requires a password of at least 10 characters, whereas Primary vault passwords can be shorter?

In any event, the only recourse would be to follow the guidance in Ana's post above. Please let us know how it turns out.

Ben

• Duckflipper
    Duckflipper
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

Thank you for clarifying. To be honest, I really liked the old setup, I don't think 1Password.com is for me and I will be looking at simpler alternatives. Can you pease clarify, as I have now deleted my account my payments will cease. Your support mentions the end of the billing cycle (I subscribed through 1Password.com) and cannot see when that is as I obviously unable to login. Thank you.

• Ben
    Options

@Duckflipper

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out. If you've deleted your account then you wouldn't be billed further. If you ever change your mind we'll be happy to help.

Ben

• Duckflipper
    Duckflipper
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Ben.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Ben, you are very welcome :+1:

This discussion has been closed.