Family Plan account on one computer

Elowe228
Elowe228
Community Member

I have a family plan account, wife and I have a shared computer. I installed the 1 password and the google extension. Want to find an easier way for me to logout and my wife to login to her account. As of now when you logout if it doesn't give you a hard time. Normally it will lock and there is no way to enter the username, only a password. When you actually get it to logout the user has to enter the shared key on the emergency kit and log back in. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong but my wife and I should be able to select a user on the account or even others that have access. Please help with any information on what we are doing incorrectly

1Password Version: 7.4.763
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: win 10
Sync Type: unsure
Referrer: forum-search:using a sub accont on a computer

Comments

• Hi @Elowe228

To use separate 1Password accounts that are part of the same membership on the same computer you'd need to use the operating system's built-in user account functionality, e.g.:

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Elowe228
    Elowe228
    Community Member

Ben

Thank you are you saying I would need to create another login on the computer? There is no way for two users to use the same login and be able to switch accounts?

• Correct. The 1Password apps themselves don't have multi-person support / switching. They support multiple accounts for one person, but not separate accounts for multiple people, at least not within the same user account in the OS.

Ben

• Elowe228
    Elowe228
    Community Member

Thank you again Ben

side note does Alchemy mean anything. If not thank you again for the help

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Elowe228:

On behalf of Ben, you are welcome!

side note does Alchemy mean anything.

Can you please clarify what you mean by this?

• jfdf5
    jfdf5
    Community Member

I presume there's no work around for this?
    We have a family computer and don't have the need nor desire to create multiple users on that iMac.
    This family accessed device works just fine for everyone, 90% of the time it serves as convenient browser access for all....this computer has its own 1Password family account and for much of our use that works fine.
    Where 1Password falls down for us, is that (obviously) I don't want whoever uses this computer to have access to credit card details, nor my and my wife's various other sensitive data, such as bank logins, Amazon accounts etc etc.
    Its frustrating not being able to login to my account on that computer to complete a purchase or for any other reason.

Another solution would be an option to have Vaults that required inputing the Master p/w a 2nd time (I see this as a recurring issue in the Forum).
    That way we could leave my or my wife's account logged into that computer with all the logins that are "family public" ie good to use, add to & edit for any family member, but if we needed access to or form fill something more security sensitive, it would require that user's P/W to open the requisite volt.

This would have an additional security benefit for me and I'm sure many others. I'm often working in airports or some public space (back in pre-covid times...) & if I was to have my computer stolen whilst the App was open - it would be a very significant event - with 2ndry sign in protection, it removes that heartburn of access to those very high sensitivity logins. Things like credit cards, my 1Password password, passport, Social security numbers etc etc.

I'm a long time user of a couple of your competitors and have really come to appreciate the benefit of having 2ndry input options. As an Apple-centric user, 1Password has a number of appealing factors and family subscription/administration is amongst those benefits, along with various well implemented options & behaviours. The lack of this option does have significance for us.

• Hi @jfdf5

The only other option I'm aware of would be to use multiple browser profiles with 1Password X installed in each profile. This is primarily a feature of Chrome, though I think Firefox has some limited options, and other browsers may as well. You'd forgo using 1Password for Mac on this computer, but you'd each be able to access your data by switching to your respective browser profile.

1Password X

That might be an easier to adjust to setup vs entirely separate macOS user accounts?

Ben

• Pymzola
    Pymzola
    Community Member

Hi,

I've setup 1PW on my daughters PC however I signed in with my details first, I'm now unable to login with her family account. Can you please advise how I do this on 1PW ver7 on windows?

Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Pymzola:

Please sign out from your account in the 1Password for Windows app first: select Accounts from the menu bar > Select your account > Sign Out. At this point you will be able to add your daughter's account to the 1Password app.

• Pymzola
    Pymzola
    Community Member

Awesome thanks so easy! Was hidden away there, the sign into another account under the root of Accounts menu threw me.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @Pymzola! I am glad I could help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• Family_Guy
    Family_Guy
    Community Member

On this same note, couldn't I just add my wife's account under the preferences-accounts tab in the 1Password for Mac application? If I do that, couldn't we both use the same OS X login/account and have both 1Password accounts available under that login?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Family_Guy:

You can only add one account from the same 1Password Membership to a 1Password app: this means that you can add multiple accounts, but if you and your wife are part of the same Families account, only one of you can be logged into the app at the same time.

• Family_Guy
    Family_Guy
    Community Member

OK - sorry, I'm new to 1Password and still trying to get this all set up. But I'm still a bit confused...

You said you can only add one account from the same membership... we have set up a family plan and each have a secret key and master password, so those are different account from the same membership?

Confused, because you then said only one of us can be logged into the app at the same time. So we could add each of us to the app under the same OS X login and just log in and out of the app as needed? That would be easier/preferable to having separate OS X logins, but only if you don't need to log in with the different secret keys each time and only the master password.

Or, if we're on the family plan, we can only have one of us registered in the app? Again, sorry, but it seems like you're saying different things, probably because I'm not understanding correctly.

Bottom line - can we have both users in the OS X app under one OS X login and switch back and forth in the app as needed by using the different master passwords?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Family_Guy:

You said you can only add one account from the same membership... we have set up a family plan and each have a secret key and master password, so those are different account from the same membership?

That's correct.

Confused, because you then said only one of us can be logged into the app at the same time. So we could add each of us to the app under the same OS X login and just log in and out of the app as needed? That would be easier/preferable to having separate OS X logins, but only if you don't need to log in with the different secret keys each time and only the master password.

You could add yourself to the app and logout whenever you need to switch users, but that's not going to be ideal. You would have to login with all your credentials each time, including the Secret Key. 1Password is not built with this use case in mind (different users using the same 1Password app).

In your case, the best solution would be to use separate user accounts on your computer, so each of you can install their own 1Password app, with your own credentials.

Or, if we're on the family plan, we can only have one of us registered in the app?

That's correct.

• emclain
    emclain
    Community Member

Or, if we're on the family plan, we can only have one of us registered in the app?

That's correct.

This is very disappointing to hear. Like the other people above, I share a macOS user account and browser with people in my family. I'd like my kids to be able to pull up the passwords for the non-sensitive sites they sign into, without giving them access to my sensitive bank accounts, etc. I tried to set up 1Password X and 1Password with Mac with both my account and theirs, only to run into the same restrictions as @Family_Guy. I don't see why this is so different from having work and home accounts in the same 1Password app.

I hope the 1Password team will consider this use case to be important!

• With separate business and family accounts the Master Password of the one first added unlocks both - which seems to be different than what you want here.

The recommended solution is separate macOS user accounts. If that is impractical for some reason then using a web browser that supports separate profiles, each with 1Password X installed, may work. The only browser I'm aware of off-hand that handles that smoothly at the moment is Chrome.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.