Exporting iCloud Keychain to 1Password

Options
crazyitalian041
crazyitalian041
Community Member

Hi everyone,

New 1Password user here and I find myself trying to figure out how to export my iCloud keychains to 1password. I downloaded the suite of utilities MRC converter but none of the utilities seem to do the trick, even the Safari one appears to be limited to version 12 (I'm on safari 13) and coping / pasting my iCloud Keychain to a new local keychain just gives me the error, "An error has occurred. Unable to add an item to the current keychain. One or more parameters passed to a function are not valid". Does anyone have any fixes for this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2020
    Options

@crazyitalian041 ,

The GetSafari12Passwords script works on version 13. 12 is the minimum. Watch the example video ConvertSafariPasswords.mp4 in the download location under Extra Help > Videos. The video show how to use GetSafari12Passwords.

The other method to get iCloud Keychains no longer works in the past few macOS updates (this is mentioned in the README).

• crazyitalian041
    crazyitalian041
    Community Member
    Options

So there is no way to retrieve the iCloud keychains? That's very unfortunate. I'll try watching the video but when I ran it yesterday, Safari's password section looked to have "relocked" while the script was running.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@crazyitalian041 ,

The GetSafara12Passwords script will pull whatever passwords are available to Safari. If you have iCloud Keychain sync enabled on your devices, specifically on your Mac, then it will pull those passwords directly from Safari. In other words, if Safari has access, so does the script.

• crazyitalian041
    crazyitalian041
    Community Member
    Options

Got it- thanks for the info and also thanks for authoring all the scripts. VERY helpful.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2020
    Options

@crazyitalian041 ,

My net is being worked on, so missed being able to post an answer to part of your question:

The script should be closing Safari, and then re-opening it. Please be sure to lave Safari closed and let the script open it. This works around the bug you see where Safari prematurely closes the passwords dialog. Let the script run, and don't use your Mac while it is running.

This discussion has been closed.