1Password Re-Installation Not Successful

Options

Hello:

I have been using 1Password for the past couple of years. I love the program!

I now purchased a new laptop (Windows10) and I'm re-configuring all programs, incl. 1Password.

Unfortunately, the reinstallation of the desktop version and syncing data to my Android phone is a challenge.

Please provide some assistance.

Thank you,
Tom

P.S. I've downloaded the latest version of 1Password and I transferred my data (from old laptop) into a subfolder on the new laptop. Again, I cannot open the desktop at this time. Frustrating!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ThomasBock301!

Unfortunately, the reinstallation of the desktop version and syncing data to my Android phone is a challenge.

What specific challenges are you facing when you try to reinstall the desktop app, and to configure sync exactly? If you could let us know the details we will be happy to give you some suggestions.

• ThomasBock301
    ThomasBock301
    Community Member
    Options

Hello ag_ana:

Below is a summary of the current process (which fails). Please see JPG (posted at: https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/8353/YHeHG6.jpg) which includes this summary + additional screenshots.

Step #1

• I moved all my data (incl. 1Password) from old to new computer.

Step #2:

• I downloaded the latest 1Password software version in order to install it onto new desktop.
    • As part of install, I chose “Sync using Dropbox” when prompted “Used 1Password before?”
    • I am not 100% if that’s the correct choice but I do have a 1Password “band_#.js” files in my Dropbox (online) account which have been updated as recently as yesterday.

Step #3:

• Once I picked “Dropbox” I am prompted to “Select a Folder” from Windows Explorer.
    • The window that pops up is empty though.

Step #4:

• If I were to “move up” one folder, I have the option to choose the 1Password.agilekeychain file (see snapshot shown in step #1).
    • So, if I were to select the agilekeychain file, I get the following dialogue box:
    • Once I enter my master password (which I’m using on old laptop and Android device) and then check “Convert vault to the OPVault format”, I get an error message:

I kindly request specific steps that enable me to a) first finalize the installation of the desktop software and then b) configure the sync between my existing 1Password data on Android phone and the desktop version on the new laptop.

Thank you,
    Tom

• Without knowing more about your sync method and what format your data on Android is in, @ThomasBock301, it's difficult to give you any proper advice. What version of 1Password were you using on your old device? If you unlock 1Password for Android and tap Settings > Sync, do you see Dropbox sync toggled on? If so, there should be a file path beneath that toggle – does it end in .agilekeychain or .opvault? It sounds to me like 1Password installed fine – you're able to select your sync method and choose a vault – and the trouble is instead with opening that vault so this will help me better understand what might be the problem.

Thanks!

• ThomasBock301
    ThomasBock301
    Community Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

Kate:

Thank you for your response. While I love 1Password, re-configuring the software on a new phone or laptop is a serious hassle. Anyhow, below are the answers to your questions:

Version of 1Password on "Old" Laptop: 4.6.2.626
    Version of 1Password on "Current" Android Phone: 7.5
    Android Sync: "Dropbox sync" / Apps/1Password/1Password_20180901.opvault

I am hoping you can/will provide me additional assistance. Getting 1Password up-and-running on the new laptop is a critical activity for me (work-wise).

Thank you,
    Tom

P.S.: Btw, I don't think the installation of 1Password on the new laptop is complete. I still have the install file on my desktop and the install must have stopped since I didn't get to select a sync method. Not sure if this makes a difference but I wanted to let you know since the software install has not finished yet.

• The installer isn't automatically deleted, @ThomasBock301, and that window where you select a folder is a part of the 1Password app – you wouldn't see it if install weren't completed. That said, I asked about version precisely because I suspected you'd installed the wrong one and it looks like I was on the right track there. You've installed 1Password 7 and if you were using 1Password 4 before, chances are you had a standalone license for that version. 1Password 7 isn't included with that license so if you'd like to stick with syncing via Dropbox and aren't interested in paying to upgrade, you'll want to uninstall the version you installed on the laptop and grab 1Password 4 here:

https://c.1password.com/dist/1P/win4/1Password-4.6.2.626.exe

From there, you can choose "Used 1Password before" on the Welcome screen and point it to the filepath on Dropbox you saw on Android and pasted above. :+1:

Now, if you're interested in easier setup on the next new device, I'd give strong consideration to a 1Password membership. All of this fuss of knowing your sync method and what version you purchased and where your vault file is living is a really great glimpse into exactly why we developed 1Password memberships. Managing sync on your own is complicated. Not always having the latest version of any app (1Password or otherwise) is also complicated. A 1Password membership includes all of the latest apps and we handle sync for you. Get a new device? Install the latest app, sign in with the information on your Emergency Kit. Done. No moving data around, no wrong turns on the version you install, not remembering sync methods. It's overall just a lot simpler.

If you're at all interested in that, 1Password memberships are free for 30 days so you can give it a try. In that case, you could keep 1Password 7, sign up for a 1Password membership, then migrate your data on your Android device following these steps:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/?android

When you're done, sign in to your account in 1Password 7 on your PC – just select "Sign in to 1Password.com" on the welcome screen rather than choosing Dropbox and enter the data from your Emergency Kit you'll download during sign-up. Your data will sync right up and you'll be set from there, no more Dropbox required. :+1:

• ThomasBock301
    ThomasBock301
    Community Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

Kate:

Wow... I'm much already much further ahead. Thank you for the follow-up. Ok, here's where I stand:

What I have done after your last posting:

• Downloaded version 4.6.2.626.exe
    • Installed that version and opened up the existing OP Vault.
    • Now I can view all of my existing records on the new laptop. Great!

What is still missing:

• Now, on the new laptop (in desktop version), I created a new record "0000". Applying ASC sorting, this is now my first record.
    • Opened up the Android via finger print.
    • At this time, the record has NOT been synced down to my phone.

While I definitely will consider the membership, I'd like to first finish the existing process w/ my current license. That said, how can I ensure the syncing is configured properly between new laptop and Android?

Thank you,
    Tom

• While syncing can be a bit confusing to set up, @ThomasBock301, the behind-the-scenes is actually pretty straight forward. You save something your PC, that's incorporated into your OPVault and saved on Dropbox, Dropbox actually handles that sync process of sending the updated OPVault to its servers and thus your other devices, then 1Password will read that update next you unlock.

If ever something isn't popping up timely, the first thing to check is always those sync settings on the non-syncing device I mentioned before. Look at that path, make sure it matches the checked path you see when you choose File > Reopen 1Password vault on your PC (you don't actually need to reopen anything, it's just the quickest way to see that path). If that matches up, make sure that both devices have an internet connection (duh, perhaps, but gotta mention it :wink: ) and try WiFi specifically on the Android device, if you can. If all is well there, pull down in your Android app like you're refreshing a web page. That will force a sync with Dropbox. If still no joy, it's time for the behemoth troubleshooting guide here:

https://support.1password.com/dropbox-troubleshooting/

Though technically not intended for this purpose, I feel that thing is probably the best evidence of why we developed our own sync service. Dropbox is great, don't get me wrong. I use it for tons of stuff and would be lost without it. But, it's not explicitly designed to sync 1Password data and we have no real insight into part of that process as a result so it gets a bit complicated. Generally speaking, though, that guide will get you sorted out, though. And, of course, if anything is unclear along the way or you're just not totally comfortable doing a particular step, just let me know and I'd be happy to help. :chuffed:

• ThomasBock301
    ThomasBock301
    Community Member
    Options

Kate:

Thank you for the additional feedback. Again, I very much appreciate your continued/dedicated support.

Based on my previous experience, once I got the sync process with 1Password & Dropbox to work, it was solid and I never had to worry about it. It's just when I purchase a new laptop when it becomes an issue.

Anyhow, if you don't mind, I'd like to continue trying a few more things first. So, in response to your recommendations/questions, please see attached JPG. Does anything stand out which requires a change?

"...first thing to check is always those sync settings on the non-syncing device I mentioned before..."

• See attached JPG (section "File Paths")

"... make sure that both devices have an internet connection..."

• See attached JPG (section "Internet Connection")

Standing by for additional information.

Thank you,
    Tom

• You've still got an Agile Keychain open on the desktop, @ThomasBock301, so that'll need a tweak. The two are pointed to wholly different vaults. Which, if any, has all of your data – desktop or Android device?

• ThomasBock301
    ThomasBock301
    Community Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

Kate:

Still no luck... after posting my last reply, I ended up following the recommendations listed in https://support.1password.com/dropbox-troubleshooting/

Ultimately, I completely deleted all 1Password references on Dropbox. Not sure if this sets me back further or enables me to have a new baseline. So, right now, I have the following scenario:

1. No 1Password folder(s) on Dropbox
    2. Sync has been disabled on Android
    3. While I still have the "Apps" folder on Windows Explorer/Dropbox, it's currently empty (other file is Fulio... naturally, it has no correlation to 1Password
    4. 1Password on Desktop shows path without the "Apps" (see JPG).

What are the next steps you could recommend to get the sync w/ Dropbox re-established?

Thanks,
    Tom

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ThomasBock301:

Ultimately, I completely deleted all 1Password references on Dropbox. Not sure if this sets me back further or enables me to have a new baseline. So, right now, I have the following scenario:

Yes, if you removed your 1Password data from Dropbox, you won't be able to configure sync on any on your devices, since the data doesn't exist there anymore.

From one of your screenshots, I see that your 1Password data is now just on your Windows computer, under \Documents\1Password. If you want your other devices to see this data, I think you have to make sure you move it back to Dropbox, as it was before. You could start by creating a 1Password folder next to the Fullio one, for example, and making sure that your .opvault file is there.

May I however recommend an alternative? With our 1Password.com sync service, you don't have to do any of this, and data syncs automatically without you having to configure anything manually. Dropbox is an advanced sync method, and 1Password.com removes the need to troubleshoot things like this. I suggest you consider it as an alternative sync method for your needs.

This discussion has been closed.