1PasswordX does not use my local vault

I have a local vault on my laptop for things I don't want uploaded to the 1Password cloud vaults. Is there a way to enable this with the 1PasswordX extensions for both Chrome and Firefox? It's the same issue on both MacOS and Windows 10.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @mikecico

Welcome to the 1Password Support Forum. 1Password X only supports membership-based vaults. Would you mind elaborating about what your concern with 1Password.com vaults is? Maybe we can help?

Thanks.

Ben

• mikecico
    mikecico
    Community Member

I have a membership, with a cloud-based membership vault, but I also have a local vault on my machine. The old 1Password extension would search both my online and local vaults for secrets before, but the new one does not seem to do that.

• mikecico
    mikecico
    Community Member

Some version info:

1Password version:
    1Password 7
    Version 7.4.3 (70403002)
    1Password Store

Extension version: 1PasswordX 1.19.1. (Firefox)

I'm able to use the old extension (1Password extension version 4.7.5.90) ok on Chrome now. Is the newer extension not able to interact with the Desktop app and local vaults?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@mikecico – Your last point was exactly right. 1Password X only supports vaults that are within your 1Password account. Local vaults will either need to be moved to a vault within your account or you'll want to use the 1Password companion extension instead.

I hope that clears things up, but let me know if you have any other questions!

• mikecico
    mikecico
    Community Member

Thanks Kaitlyn. So, the companion extension is a desktop extension, and not a browser extension? I use local vaults for some things that I can't or don't want to put in the cloud, so moving those secrets to the cloud-based vault isn't an option.

Why was local vault access removed from the browser extensions? Seems like a regression in terms of features. If the companion extension is as seamless as the browser extension, I'll look into it.

• mikecico
    mikecico
    Community Member

Looks like the companion extension is browser based, it's what I'm using now. But it looks like it's no longer being updated? Is it deprecated?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mikecico:

The companion extension is indeed a browser extension like 1Password X, and it has not been deprecated. You are free to choose which of the two extensions to use, but if you need local vault access, the older companion extension will be the one for you.

This discussion has been closed.