1password keeps creating duplicates

V__K
V__K
Community Member
edited May 2020 in Mac

1password keeps creating items with duplicate passwords for my new logins. I just created two logins and both of them created duplicates with the same passwords which are called 1password7 and point to agilebits website. I wouldn't care so much but it makes it difficult to separate actual duplicates from these fake ones.
My question is: is this behavior normal? If not can I prevent it? Is it safe to delete these duplicates? Here is what this looks like:

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: MacOS 10.15.4
Sync Type: icloud

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2020

@V_K

The left is a generated password. It's created when you create/generate a password. The right is a login created when you saved the login attempt. 1Password should be cleaning up the generated passwords automatically. We are aware that this removal can fail in certain situations, and we are tracking this for a bug fix.
    If you compare the left and the right items and the passwords match, then yes, you can delete the (left) generated password. You will notice the (left) generated password has the option of "Convert to Login" Don't remove the one on the right (login), as that's the actual login.

Generated password saving was designed as a safety net for those occasions when you accidentally fail to click the save dialogue. I speak for myself on that one. :) You can then return to 1Password and retrieve that generated password.

You can also use 1Password > Help > Tools > Remove Redundant Generated Passwords.

I hope I have not confused you.

• V__K
    V__K
    Community Member

Thanks! I'm sure this is exactly what's happened. It looks like most (maybe even all?) of the passwords I generate this way are not getting cleaned up. This seems like a bug which I hope will get fixed. Thank you for pointing how to remove them all at once. Somehow it didn't remove them all though. But I removed the rest by hand.
    Thanks again!

• @V_K

You're welcome.

The comparison using the removal tool errs on the side of safety. If correlations between the two do not match exactly, the generated password will not be removed. Oftentimes it's when the sign-up page has one website captured, but you need to login on a different page, or it could even be one is even missing a website address. In those cases, it's back to the old manual removal.

Hopefully we can build a little more flexibility into future version of the tool.

• KnnNike
    KnnNike
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

I'm having this issue as well; I hope it gets fixed soon.

I am using the Chrome version of the browser extension, but installed on the new Microsoft Edge browser. I'm also running Windows 10.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@KnnNike:

Have you seen the post from my colleague ag_tommy above already? Please let us know if you have any questions about it.

This discussion has been closed.