2FA scanner not scanning QR code [As of v7.4.4 no longer possible with App Store version]

Comments

• enzoru
    enzoru
    Community Member
    edited April 2020

May I ask two things?

1. I keep my 1Password regularly up to date, yet I haven't seen this issue until today. I have scanned a QR code just last week.
    2. What forced you into this: "We are not able to make use of the API we were using to get the contents of the screen under the QR code scanning window on the Mac" -- And do you have a Mac app downloadable from your website that doesn't have this restriction?
  • When downloaded from our website 1Password for Mac does not have this limitation:

Downloads for Mac

We were informed that App Store apps are only allowed to use the screen recording permission for actual screen recording/sharing, not for doing things like capturing QR codes.

Ben

• bsnyder
    bsnyder
    Community Member

Within the last three months, I used the QR scanner in the macOS version of 1Password successfully and now it no longer seems to work. Hence, I find myself here seeking a solution. In this case, my solution was to scan a QR code using the iOS app as well because the QR scanner in 1Password 7.4.4 for macOS is not working.

I find it bizarre that the recommendation to get the QR scanner working properly again is to download the app straight from the website. When I first purchased 1Password years ago, I downloaded it from the website. But then when iCloud came out, I discovered that 1Password would not work with iCloud. The solution to this issue was to purchase 1Password again from the App Store. Now, years later, the QR scanner seems to no longer work after working just fine a few months ago, and the solution is to download it from the website again.

This dance between the version available for download via the website vs. the version available in App Store as a solution for different issues is frustrating to say the least.

• @bsnyder

I can certainly understand that frustration but we have very limited influence over what is allowed in App Store vs non-App Store apps. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but for now if you'd like to use the QR code reader to scan on-screen codes on a Mac then downloading from our website is the only solution.

Ben

• bsnyder
    bsnyder
    Community Member

If this is true, then the documentation should be updated. Currently it says that the QR scanner should work on all versions:

https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/

• @bsnyder

I'm not seeing where it says that. Could you please point me to the specific language you're concerned about? Here is what I see:

Thanks.

Ben

• bsnyder
    bsnyder
    Community Member

The QR scanner on macOS does not work on Catalina. When I bring it up, it's just grey and won't allow anything to be dragged to it. As I mentioned above, my solution was to scan a QR code from the website using the iOS app as well because the QR scanner in 1Password 7.4.4 for macOS is grey and not working to scan or to drop the QR code onto it.

• Gotcha, thanks. The scanner does work when 1Password for Mac is downloaded from our website. We are aware of some issues with drag & drop that we hope to address.

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#4635

• kaffeeundsalz
    kaffeeundsalz
    Community Member

Apple's rationale, as logical as it seems at first, is obviously not consistent across different apps here. I have installed multiple applications from the Mac App Store that all use the screen recording feature for sampling a color from the current screen contents. This, too, is not actually screen recording but rather using information from the screen recording to do something with it (in this case, apply sampled pixel colors to objects or tools) and thus it's exactly the type of thing that Apple permits you to do. A typical color picker that you'd find in many graphics applications simply wouldn't work if you construe said App Store rule in a strict way. I really don't like how Apple seems to apply double standards here.

• I think they are trying to do the right thing here. Hopefully as time goes on it'll become more apparent how and why the rules apply.

BEn

• lloydde
    lloydde
    Community Member

Possibly consider updating https://support.1password.com/screen-recording/ that this feature does not work in Mac App Store or better yet document or disable the feature in the desktop application.

• Hi @lloydde

Possibly consider updating https://support.1password.com/screen-recording/ that this feature does not work in Mac App Store

That document was written to address the concern people have when they see this message:

But you'd never see that message if using the App Store version of 1Password.

disable the feature in the desktop application

Even with the App Store version it is still possible to drag & drop the QR code onto the scanner, which is handy compared to copying & pasting the text-based secret (if the website even offers you the text). As such I don't think we'll remove the scanner entirely.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ben

• lloydde
    lloydde
    Community Member

@ben I'd recommend checking the inbound search traffic to that page.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=1password+mac+screen+reading

As such I don't think we'll remove the scanner entirely.

Right, only do something about the part that doesn't work ;-)

• Thanks for the feedback @lloydde. I'll suggest to the team that we take another look at this whole situation.

Ben

• matyas_ka
    matyas_ka
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

Hi @Ben

Just reporting that the QR screen reader still not working for me (1P v. 7.6 AppStore, macOS 10.15.5). It simply shows a grey area where there should be the screen output behind it.

Thanks
    Mattia

• @matyas_ka

App Store apps are only allowed to use the screen recording permission for actual screen recording/sharing, not for doing things like capturing QR codes.
    The best solution for using the scanner is to switch to the version we offer on our site without those restrictions.

https://support.1password.com/switch-from-mac-app-store/

• NickX
    NickX
    Community Member
    edited August 2020

I don't have the Mac AppStore version, and the QR scanner doesn't work for me on Catalina
    Trying to enable 2FA on my Twitter account right now and yeah, no work-o
    Check for update in the app says I'm at the latest version
    Shrug...

Is there no way to scan the code from the iPhone companion app? I don't see an option for that. That would work (if it's available)

EDIT:

There is! It's called "one-time password" though not 2FA
    Kind of weird verbiage but hey, it works... so I'm a happy camper

• @NickX

Have you given 1Password permission to record the screen? If so, you must also restart 1Password for those changes to take effect. To restart 1Password look in the menu bar and locate our helper. It will be in the vicinity of the wifi icon and the clock. Right-click on it and select quit 1Password completely and then open 1Password.

https://support.1password.com/screen-recording/

I am glad to hear you're up and going. :chuffed:

• acomputerengineer
    acomputerengineer
    Community Member

Ive run into a similar issue, but I think the issue could be with the actual qrcode in question. Ive tried both the mac app but also the mobile app to physically scan the screen. In both cases there is no response from either the mac app or mobile app. The code is coming from protonmail which has worked for other protonmail accounts, but this one wont scan. I also have access to the key needed for manual entry, but im not sure how to do that with 1pw.

• Hi @acomputerengineer

On the item you want to add the TOTP code to you can create a new field, change the type from 'text' to 'one-time password', and then paste the code you're given into that field. Then save the item. Please let me know how that turns out.

Ben

• dmshaw
    dmshaw
    Community Member

FWIW, I was experimenting with the Yubico Authenticator app (a TOTP app that stores the codes on a Yubikey) and noticed that it can read the QR codes directly from the screen. The Yubico Authenticator app is from the Mac App Store (the only way to get it, actually). If Apple is allowing one but not the other, that would seem to be inconsistent enforcement of the rules.

• For what it's worth, it is actually possible to get the Yubico Authenticator app directly from Yubico:

https://www.yubico.com/products/services-software/download/yubico-authenticator/#download_here

Ben

• dmshaw
    dmshaw
    Community Member

Interesting. I didn't see that before. Nevertheless, the App Store version of the Yubico Authenticator can certainly read QR codes from the screen.

• Interesting. :)

Ben

• Sinclaire
    Sinclaire
    Community Member

macOS here (Big Sur 11.2.3). Since this thread is almost a year old, I'd like to confirm the solution posted here.

The App Store version of 1Password does not allow scanning of QR codes (it displays a black window).

Completely uninstalling the App Store 1Password version, downloading the one offered on 1password.com (I chose the beta, which, at this point, was 1Password-7.8.1.BETA-0.pkg) and installing it solved the problem right away:

Working QR code scanner

Thanks for your help, guys.

• Zane
    Zane
    Community Member

The UI on the Mac App Store version of the app is still super confusing, over a year later. The UI implies "I can read your screen", which sends a much stronger signal than whatever is written below the grey square. I would love to see a more elegant solution to this issue.

• Thanks for letting us know how you worked around this, @Sinclaire

Ben

• @Zane

I can appreciate that perspective. I'll be happy to pass that feedback along so we can brainstorm on it further as we develop future versions of 1Password.

Ben

• Ashkaan
    Ashkaan
    Community Member

Is there an ETA for the App Store Version to get this feature?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Ashkaan:

If I remember correctly, the App Store version used to have this, it had to be removed from it though after a change Apple made. In that case, I don't think we will see this back in the foreseeable future :(

This discussion has been closed.