Expiry Reminder

2»

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for weighing in as well, and for the kind words :)

• bellal
    bellal
    Community Member

Hey @Ben any updates on this feature?

We have similar stories here. Now without this feature we have to walk-around by storing the secrets in 1Pass and then use another tool to create a reference and set expiry notification for each secrets, which is hard to maintain.

It would help promoting 1Pass a lot. Thank you ahead for implementing it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bellal:

We don't have any updates to share about this at the moment. Thank you for weighing in as well though!

(And welcome to the forum :) )

• dotjay
    dotjay
    Community Member

I'd like to add my support for this feature, too.

Also note that you can partly emulate this using Smart Folders, just without notifications – instead you need to check the smart folder occasionally:
    1. Tag items that you want to change regularly (say monthly) with a special tag
    2. Create a smart folder to display items with that tag and filter with "Last password change" set as appropriate (like 30 days)

• @dotjay

Welcome. :) Thanks for letting us know of your interest in something like this, and for the workaround. That would only work in standalone vaults and only with 1Password for Mac, but certainly for someone with that setup I can see how that could be a boon.

Ben

• tmakaro
    tmakaro
    Community Member

I'd like to use expiry dates on secure notes and documents. I like to store things like coupon codes in 1password, and I'd like to be notified by watchtower before they expire.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for your feedback @tmakaro! :+1:

• gabz32
    gabz32
    Community Member

Please add "Expiry" field so we can use it with any entry we need it for. I agree: there are documents I put in 1Password such as my Trust that needs to be updated every couple years, I have medication documents that I would like a reminder to update, etc.

• Thanks for the suggestion, and for sharing your use case, @gabz32. :)

Ben

• knelson
    knelson
    Community Member

+1 from me. Agree with @gabz32 with ability to add to any field (at least any masked field) and for an item itself (like @gabz32 and @tmakaro suggest for document/note entries). In the case of teams it might also be useful to be able to set an expiration/reminder policy at a vault level so any record in a given vault automatically alerts to expiring (untouched) records.

• :+1: :)

Ben

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member

An expiry type field that could be applied as needed would be great. We were think if storing some personal safety certificates in the vault and they all have expiry dates. We know we can use Passport and even change the picture so they look like certificates but the rigid design of 1P still shows them as Category = Passports and reminds us that we have Passports about to expire.

• Thanks @iwaddo. :)

Ben

• usulkies
    usulkies
    Community Member

I vote up for this. Passwords with a long expiration time might surprise you when they eventually expired and this might break your production.

• Thanks for adding your voice @usulkies :)

• hawkin
    hawkin
    Community Member

I'm happy too see the wish for this feature are shared with many other users out there.
    But I'm sad to see there has gone 2 years since my first query and there has been little progress on this (even though there has been alot of other development of 1Password).

The need is still as relevant as in 2018 for me.
    I still have to reset my passwords now and then because I don't have a good reminder solution for this (some of the policies I have requires pwd change each month :/ )

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hawkin:

I appreciate you taking the time to share this update with us. While I understand this is a feature that you would like to have, we currently do not have any updated to share about this I am afraid (as you also noticed, we have been busy implementing several other features which have kept us busy all along).

• staile
    staile
    Community Member
    edited August 2020

I would also find this feature very useful. Enough so that I made the account to post here just for this request.

• Welcome to the 1Password Support Forum, @staile. :) Thanks for sharing you input on this issue.

Ben

• rfb
    rfb
    Community Member

Hi, we'd also be very interested in Order to store TLS and code signing certificates in 1Password. Having an expiry date would be awesome in order to remind us of expiring certificates :)

• Thanks for your input @rfb. :+1: And thanks for taking the time to register for the forum to weigh in here.

Ben

• I have just added some secure tokens to 1password which have an expiry and would love 1password to flag that this date is upcoming and I will need to refresh these tokens. Given this thread dates back over 2 years, has there been any progress made on this request? It seems like a pretty standard feature for a password vault, given that passwords and tokens have a limited lifetime value.

• Hi @jono@crayons.com.au

It isn't something we've committed to at this point, though we also haven't rejected the idea. I don't think anyone questions the usefulness of it, it's just a matter of getting enough traction behind it to get it on the roadmap.

Ben

• mmanning
    mmanning
    Community Member

I up vote all the previous mentions for the expiry feature to be applied to all the category items not just the obvious ones. Expanding this feature would enhance everyone's overall security capability. Many other password apps have this capability baked right in through the entire app, seems like if 1Password was serious about their users security they would make the necessary updates. I'm no programmer, so I'm shooting from this hip on this, but it seems like if the obvious categories have this capability then it shouldn't be a heavy lift to implement it for the remaining categories. In a landscape with so many password apps out there, it often is the little things that separate one from another. For instance, I switched from Lastpass simply because I no longer wanted to access a second (authentication) app to obtain my one-time passwords; 1Password has this feature built right in. Very cool. Just my $.02.

• Hey @mmanning,

You have a great point about the little things. :) Thanks for chiming in here.

Ben

• kraik
    kraik
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

This is an essential part of our enterprise security standard that needs to be adhered to (90 / 60 day) reoccurring revalidations that cannot be ignored, trying to work out how best to handle the notifications of multiple ID passwords in various shared vaults. The only way I see of doing this outside of the tool is to create calendar reminders which would be very cumbersome when you are looking at over 100 or so entries. Would very much welcome this feature if it gets implemented as would my colleagues.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback as well @kraik, noted :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#55

This discussion has been closed.