Unusually fast scrolling speed

Hi friends!
So, this isn't so much a problem as an observation. It seems that, when scrolling through the list of entries in 1Password, the scroll speed is almost uncontrollably fast. But the rest of my PC doesn't scroll anywhere near that quick. Is this something you guys have seen? Something I can remedy on my end? (this is the desktop app, btw...not 1Password X)

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1P

Comments

• Do you use a trackpad or touch screen by chance, @blubov? If so, this is something we're aware of, but not totally sure how to fix. .NET (or I think Windows Presentation Foundation specifically) has a way of handling various scroll inputs that doesn't work that well with 1Password so things are pretty smooth and normal with a mouse, but can behave somewhat erratically with a trackpad or touchscreen. It's something that we should be able to improve in theory as we're just relying on defaults right now, but we've not found anything that works quite as we'd like.

It's the sort of thing that comes down to personal preference, but I've found that I can cope with trackpad scrolling on my Surface while using the touchscreen just makes me want to cry. So, if you have the option of different inputs, I'd say mouse > trackpad > touchscreen. Your mileage may vary there somewhat, though. When running 1Password for Windows in a VM on my Mac, using the trackpad is awful and I have to hook up a mouse to avoid throwing things. In short, though, yes. Scrolling with any non-mouse input is inconsistent and often pretty bad. We do want to make it better and are consistently exploring options until we find something that works more consistently across inputs. :+1:

• blubov
    blubov
    Community Member

That answer is... Outstanding. While the news you delivered is unfortunate, the delivery, depth, and eloquence more than makes up. This is the first PC I've ever owned...been a Mac guy forever, but this PC was too good to pass up. I've faced challenges aplenty in this platform shift, scroll speed in 1P barely cracking the top 10. Thank you for the answer and the time spent typing it. If things improve at any point, drop me a note please? :-)

Take care!

• It's not trouble at all, @blubov, and truly I understand those struggles. I used Macs ever so briefly when I was really young – first computer I used was an Apple IIe, then we got a Power Mac – but my love for technology blossomed later in life when my family had swapped to Windows. It's what I know and where I feel comfortable. These days, I have a Mac and do use it from time to time, but it is still a really awkward experience for me. It's been a few years and I still find there are basic tasks that are so easy for me on Windows and I seriously can't figure out how to accomplish them properly on Mac. Just to give one example, "Save As". That's sometimes not an option on a Mac. Or, if it is, it's called something else that I can't quite figure out. I'm sure there's a way to get the same behavior, but this Windows gal hasn't figured it out and still exports Numbers documents to PDF in order to save an edited template as a new file because, hey, it works. Anyway, I generally consider myself rather self-sufficient with technology, but the two operating systems were clearly created by companies with very different philosophies and I definitely agree that adjusting from one to another is hard to say the least.

I'm glad to the scroll speed is fairly minor in the grand scheme of things, but we absolutely will keep it in mind and continue considering ways to improve. In the meantime, another thing that might help is that Pg Up and Pg Down both work in your item list, as do the arrow keys. Both can make for a suitable replacement for scrolling with the former used when you're trying to go quick and the latter when you're looking in more detail. Search can be helpful too. I use title: a lot when trying to find a specific item as I generally stick to some pretty well defined rules when creating titles meaning I can often search more efficiently than I scroll. title:gmail for example, will help me find all of my Google account Logins a lot faster than scrolling to the Gs. It's not a wholesale replacement for scrolling, but perhaps could help some in the meantime.

Otherwise, I hope the transition to Windows starts smoothing out a bit as you adjust. I doubt my Mac will ever be quite as comfortable as my PC for me, but I have come a long way in the 3 years I've been using it more and I'm sure you'll move even more quickly by making a wholesale switch. And, of course, if I can be of any help during the transition, I'll be here. :chuffed:

• dplatonoff
    dplatonoff
    Community Member

Just wanted to submit the bug report and found this. The insanely fast touch scrolling has been present in 1Password since version 6, and is observed on all our ThinkPads here. Touchpad scrolling is borderline unusable. Trackpoint+middleclick is OK.

• As I mentioned earlier in this thread, @dplatonoff, this isn't something that's fully within our control as currently designed, so it's just not the sort of thing with a quick fix. Odd that you're having so much trouble with the touchpad, though. I definitely prefer my mouse on my desktop over the touchpad on my Surface's typecover, but the latter has always been tolerable for me. I'd say it scrolls a bit too slow for my tastes, but not even close to the point where I start hunting for a dongle to use my mouse. I could potentially buy that Microsoft hardware is handled a bit better, but I have the same issues with touchscreen as others and with the popularity of ThinkPads generally, I'd expect to have heard more about this if it were truly that painful.

What is the exact behavior you see when scrolling with the touchpad – super fast? Super slow or skippy? If you could tell me a bit more about how your Thinkpads handle touch scrolling, too, that'd be great. Last one I had (ages ago), there was a side bit specifically for scrolling, but I don't know if the newer models maintain that or have moved on.

• dplatonoff
    dplatonoff
    Community Member

@bundtkate thanks for keeping the thread up. We're talking about two-finger touchpad scroll. It's way too fast and you typically overshoot by a page or two, making it hard if you just need to scroll a little. Gets worse if you have a few hundred logins in there. It's definitely not ThinkPad specific, it behaves like this on any Windows device I had my hands on, and the number of search results on this forum supports that. I expect most people just shrug it off instead of reporting (look how it took me over two years to bring it up, and I'm a 7.0 beta early adopter). But the fact that 1P is the only app that behaves like this makes you think that maybe there's something product specific that can be fixed. Could the notoriously wonky MS HiDPI support be the one to blame?

• That could be an idea, @dplatonoff. I'm not totally sure whether my Surface qualifies as hi-DPI these days. Poor little guy is getting a bit long in the tooth so far as technology is concerned. Still curious, though, as I truly would say scroll speed is a bit slow on that thing if anything and I definitely have a two-finger scrolling habit on a trackpad.

Ultimately, we leave scrolling (or, more accurately, any behavior related to mouse-like input) up to Windows itself. I won't say that's not a product-specific thing because there are many options on Windows and who knows how many choose our path vs. custom input implementations vs. something like UWP. But it does mean that changes to that involve a fair bit of work changing how we handle such things completely regardless of whether we build something custom or rely on a different framework entirely.

We honestly do want to start moving towards some more customized code in a lot of areas. We recently built our own network due to work around some limitations in what we were previously relying on and I'd expect that general trend to continue even if I can't give any specific ETA on when scrolling might be part of that process. For the moment, I'll freely admit I have no good solution. It's one of things that just doesn't work as we'd like and needs more attention than we can presently give it to get it up to snuff. But, if you're able to adjust to the keyboard at all, up/down arrows, PgUp and PgDn, as well as targeted searches like the tite: search I mentioned earlier can truly be a huge help. I'll also touch base with on of our development team I know has access to not only a trackpad, but a ThinkPad specifically and see if he has any further suggestions and let you know if I learn anything of use. :+1:

• mgargan1
    mgargan1
    Community Member

I did a search and found this thread... I'm running into the same issue with version 7.6.787 for Windows.

I know I can use a mouse, and I normally do, but it's almost unusable with my notebook's touchpad. I've found similar threads that are asking the same thing... I just find this really puzzling. Has there been any update to this issue recently?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@mgargan1: We do not have anything to share at this point, I am sorry about that.

The current version of 1Password 7 for Windows uses Windows Presentation Foundation (and .NET) and we leave scrolling and any other mouse-like input up to Windows. We are not sure how to proceed here, as the behaviour you described is out of our hands to fix.

What laptop do you use now? Please let us know. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• mgargan1
    mgargan1
    Community Member

@Greg
    Thanks for the reply.

I have a Dell XPS 9570 and a Dell Inspiron 7370. Both have Windows 10 Pro v2004. Also, it only happens on the desktop app, with the touchpad. Mouse works fine.

Interestingly, I used to have a subscription to https://shadow.tech/. They provide a hosted virtual gaming PC. For whatever reason, the scrolling in the scrolling speed was way too fast too. I wonder if there's something in common,

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mgargan1,

If they have an application for Windows, it is possible that their app is also built using Windows Presentation Foundation and .NET. If it is built based on the same technologies and frameworks as 1Password 7 for Windows, you will see the same issues with scrolling there (for example, I found this).

I am not sure if it is possible for us to fix this behaviour without changing the underlying frameworks that we use in the app, but I will make sure to pass your suggestions to our team. Thank you for your feedback!

If you have other questions, we are always ready to help and answer them. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.