1Password V7 Randomly Stops Working

Options

I have been using 1Password for a couple years without issue, but in the last couple months I noticed that when I would click on my browser extension to open 1Password (either Firefox or safari) nothing would happen, then I would check in the windows tray and see that the 1Password app had closed. If I start 1Password again everything works fine for a little while, then some time later nothing again on the browser and sure enough the app is closed again. I have uninstalled both add ins, and removed and reinstalled 1Password, but I get the same issue?

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90 firefox and safari
OS Version: Windows 10 1909
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Before diving in too deep, @chub_rock1, could you clarify whether you are using Safari on Windows with 1Password? Thinking back, I actually remember using Safari on my PC a long while back, but 1Password 7 for Windows has never supported Safari and no version of 1Password for Windows has for several years so if you are still trying to use 1Password in that browser, my first suggestion would be to remove that add-on only and see if that helps. I can't account for what might happen if 1Password is attempting to connect to an extension there.

Of course, if you aren't using Safari on Windows and are either seeing the same trouble on macOS or you're using a different browser entirely, let me know and we'll take things from there. :+1:

• chub_rock1
    chub_rock1
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, sorry was a mistype, am using Firefox and Chrome on Win 10 that have the issues.

• chub_rock1
    chub_rock1
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate did you need more details? It sounds like you were ready to dive in deep... : )

• Diving deep and getting more details are generally one and the same with this sort of stuff, @chub_rock1 so that'll be a yes to both most likely. And my apologies for the delay in response. I had a giant pile of meetings yesterday so I didn't quite make it to the forum. Thankfully, they were genuinely productive meetings none of which would have been as useful were it an email so I'll not complain too much. :wink: I do apologize, though. I rarely have more than one meeting a day and most days I don't have any, so they definitely throw me off my game.

So, a few questions as this sounds an awful lot like some other issues I've seen recently. Does this behavior at all align with with 1Password locking? Keep in mind, there are a few things that can trigger a lock. There's a idle timer where it will lock automatically that you set in your security settings, a setting to lock when Windows locks, and of course, you can lock 1Password manually whenever you'd like. If it does seem to be triggered by locking – any anti-virus or similar on this PC? Thanks!

• chub_rock1
    chub_rock1
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate no sweat on the timing, I know we are all busy and doing things a bit different these days... interesting on the Locking issues, I had not put that together before, but just tried it and I do think it is triggered by the lock. I opened 1P and left it locked and it stayed in the tray and available from the browser. Then I unlocked it and used it for a bit, again no issues. Then I manually locked it from the browser app and boom gone from the tray and no longer accessible from the browser. I tested same thing again and same exact results.

• What about the AV, @chub_rock1? Any installed on this PC besides the built-in Windows Defender? The way 1Password 7.4 works is that processes are started and stopped as needed based on what bits of 1Password need to be running at any given point. This sounds like the UI process quitting (which it should), but without the lock process properly starting. This could be an AV preventing 1Password from starting new processes.

• chub_rock1
    chub_rock1
    Community Member
    Options

Ah sorry @bundtkate, yes I do run malwarebytes, but I did whitelist 1P in the past and i just exited malwarebytes completely and did my 1P test again and same results (granted not sure if something with AV stays resident even when closed)

• AVs can be a bit fussy about that, @chub_rock1. Not that this is a bad thing – they're trying to help by not undoing anything already done or by starting up again in case you forgot and that's honestly legit. We humans forget things, y'know? A few things:

1. Expressly check for updates to Malwarebytes. There was an issue recently that they fixed that wasn't actually related to this, but could possibly be playing a role and it'll help regardless. You've gotta check for it to get it. If you have an update, install it, reboot, and try again. See if you're still having trouble.
    2. Try rebooting into Safe Mode with Networking:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Safe Mode is generally a nice shortcut to "Could most things on my PC just stay out of the way for a sec?" and can help determine whether something is a third-party interference issue. It's not a totally perfect test, but generally good enough a bit easier than trying to fully disable your AV and make sure it lets go of whatever restrictions it already put in place.

If Safe Mode works, check your whitelisting. Things have changed and depending on how long ago you whitelisted, that might need a tweak. Generally, I suggest whitelisting the entire 1Password folder (%LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password) as that will cover most anything 1Password will try to do. :+1:

Of course, if none of the above works and/or the issue remains in Safe Mode, let me know. :chuffed:

• chub_rock1
    chub_rock1
    Community Member
    Options

HI @bundtkate, I did check and I was running the latest version of MBAM and was able to test in safe mode and I got the same behavior of 1P closing on lock. Granted it looks like Malwarebytes is loaded even in safe mode so not sure if that test worked as hoped.

• Yea, @chub_rock1, that's probably Malwarebytes being helpful and demonstrating why it's a decent test but not always perfect. :wink: In theory, Safe Mode keeps started apps to a minimum so you are only working with those you launch yourself, but there are ways around it and sometimes perfectly good reason to make your app start anyway so there's always that chance you won't get the totally clean environment you want.

With that said, I've seen a few more cases of this since we first starting talking, actually, so I brought it up to our engineering team today. Rumor has it there are some changes coming up in beta (no ETA just yet) that might help here, so for now let's just grab some logs and see if they can tell us a clearer story. If they help, we might be able to come to some more reliable conclusions about how helpful those changes are likely to be and maybe get a few more in progress if we think they might miss the mark.

So, to that end, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com and include a link to this thread in the body of your message so that if someone else sees it before I do, they know what's up.

If you can drop a note here that you've sent them when you have, that'd be great as it'll complete that link up and ensure we know we've got goodies in our inbox no matter where we're looking at the time. Thanks! :chuffed:

• chub_rock1
    chub_rock1
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate I just sent it in. Thanks

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chub_rock1,

Found it! We will take a look and get back to you via email soon.

Stay safe,
    Greg

ref: EQS-18775-373

This discussion has been closed.