1pwd X login at Fidelity.com gives invalid password error

Options

I have a very strange issue. I've been using 1pwd X for some time with no problems. But in the last couple weeks I've had an issue using it to log into one particular site, Fidelity.com. Not always, just mostly. It happens on my iMac and my Macbook, in any browser I've tried. It happens after I've safe booted, after I've uninstalled anti-virus and extensions, cleared cache, deleted cookies, and more. IOS is no problem, ever.

The issue: When I attempt to log in using 1pwd X, I get a bad username / password error from Fidelity. Again, this is most of the time, not all of the time. I just discovered today that if instead of using 1pwd X to fill the credentials, and I manually key the user name and password in, I can log in without the error. I've tested this multiple times. Somehow, the password I see in 1pwd X is not what gets put into the password field when I have 1pwd X fill it for me. Or Fidelity doesn't like having an extension paste a password in.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.19.0
OS Version: 10.15.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hey @slobizman! 👋

I'm glad you got in touch about this. I believe I found what appears to be the culprit after taking a look at the HTML on fidelity.com. What I noticed is that the password field has a max-length of 20. What I think is happening is when you copy and paste your password, the password is truncated to 20 characters (due to the max-length attribute). When 1Password fills the password, it doesn't take into account the max-length attribute, so the password in its entirety is filled. I'm hoping you can test this out for me. Would you mind shortening the current password you have stored in your Fidelity Login item to the first 20 characters (if it's longer than 20)? Please copy and paste the password elsewhere before testing this so you don't forget it. I'd just copy and paste it into a note within the 1Password Login item to make things easier (and make sure it's secure). Now that you only have the first 20 characters stored in your 1Password item, please try filling on fidelity.com, and let me know what you discover.

• slobizman
    slobizman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much for your input, Kaitlyn. But my password is only 13 characters in length.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting me know, @slobizman! In that case, I'd like you to simply try creating a brand new Login item and see if that one fills any better. Here are the instructions:

1. Type (or copy/paste) your username and password into the proper fields on fidelity.com.
    2. Click on the 1Password X icon in the password field to invoke the inline menu (if the inline menu isn’t already open).
    3. Click Save in 1Password.
    4. Add the word “new” to the title so you can distinguish it from your existing Login, select the correct vault, and click Save.

Go ahead and refresh the page and try filling the new Login you just created. Do you have the same trouble as you did before, or are you able to sign into your Fidelity account successfully?

• slobizman
    slobizman
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, I have done as you suggested. I'll be using both my old and my new login over the next couple days, trying them often, to see how it works out. Like I had said, it does not always happen (although I can consistently log in without 1pwd), so I have to do this many times over time.

Thanks!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good, @slobizman! I appreciate you testing this out for me. Please do let me know how it goes for you once you have time to test each Login throughout the next couple days. :)

• slobizman
    slobizman
    Community Member
    Options

Well, it looks like the original 1pwdX login works once in a while, the new one I made works 100% of the time. I don't understand why the old one would work sometimes, but I don't need to figure it out. I'm good.

Thanks for your help!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2020
    Options

I'm glad the new one is working better, @slobizman! You're very welcome. :lol:

The strangest part is that the issue is inconsistent. Either way, it's great you're able to fill with 100% accuracy now.

This discussion has been closed.