Scanning QR code for 2-factor authentication won't work

Appfel
Appfel
Community Member

Hello!

I would like to enable 2-factor authentication for a website. Once I select to scan the QR code I get this window:

As you can see, it is non-transparent. So scanning a QR code is not possible. I uninstalled 1Password and tried again, unfortunatly this was not helpful. Any idea how I can solve it?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.5 (70500002) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Firefox 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.15.4 (19E287)
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2020

Hi @Appfel!

Please download 1Password from our website instead than from the Mac App Store: the QR scan feature is only available in the website version of the app.

• jasonmp85
    jasonmp85
    Community Member

Wooooooah, I've been wondering about this for a while… this explains it (at least it's not a "bug", I suppose?)

Is this a hard limit on what you all can do on the App Store? I seem to have other apps that can do some of the accessibility stuff, (and aren't there screen recorders in the App Store?)

Some sort of messaging around this might have been nice instead of me thinking something was up with my machine… :cry:

• @jasonmp85

There are rules about what App Store apps are allowed to use the screen recording permissions for, and unfortunately this appears to not be one of the allowed cases.

Some sort of messaging around this might have been nice instead of me thinking something was up with my machine… :cry:

I was under the impression we had already changed the wording on this screen so it would be clear the code has to be dragged and dropped onto the scanner (which should work even with the Mac App Store version). Could you please let me know what language you see on this screen?

Ben

• ToddJonker
    ToddJonker
    Community Member

After deleting the App Store copy due to this issue, I'm using a fresh install of:
    Version 7.5 (70500003)
    1Password Store

No 1Password in the Screen Recording panel, I can't drag and drop it into there (with that panel unlocked). The Scanner window doesn't ask for permission and seems to think it's working, but it doesn't recognize the code it's on top of. Drag and drop a code image onto that window does nothing.

• ag_tommy
    edited June 2020

@ToddJonker

Try quitting 1Password completely using the following simultaneous keystrokes, with 1Password the frontmost app. (Command Option Control Q) Open 1Password and Unlock. Does that help?

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member

I can see the code behind the Scan QR Code window, but nothing happens. What am I missing? It is for US T-Mobile website.
    I believe my 1Password app is from your website, how do I find out for sure? Version is below.
    I tried @ToddJonker step above, no change.
    I then copied the code, entered it in the One-Time Password, generated 6 digit code but I got the Invalid code message. T-Mobile is using Google Authenticator.
    Does Google Authenticator not link with 1Password?
    Thank you

Mac Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.6 (70600005) 1Password Store

• Appfel
    Appfel
    Community Member

Hello @Fairgame
    I would recommend to uninstall 1Password and make a fresh installation from the Link @ag_ana posted. But this only a good idea when you have a backup of your passwords, e.g. by sync.

Most OTPs normally working with Google Authenticator will work with 1Password

• Appfel
    Appfel
    Community Member

Or try the quitting steps from @ag_tommy before maybe

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Fairgame:

I then copied the code, entered it in the One-Time Password, generated 6 digit code but I got the Invalid code message. T-Mobile is using Google Authenticator.

Is the authenticator code rejected by the T-Mobile website, when you try to enter it?

And can I ask you to clarify what you mean by "T-Mobile is using Google Authenticator"? Are you using 1Password to generate your TOTP codes or Google Authenticator?

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member

Yes, the 6 digit code generated from 1Password is rejected on T-Mobile website during the setup - Invalid code.
    Per T-Mobile two factor authentication description they use Google Authenticator. I do not have this authenticator downloaded on my Mac, only 1Password is generating the codes.
    PS: I use two factor authentication with 1Password on several other websites. So it works, just not for T-Mobile.
    I just noticed that the time of any changes on T-Mobile website is given in Pacific Time, I'm Central time located. Could this be the issue? I cannot find on T-Mobile website any time setting.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Fairgame:

I just noticed that the time of any changes on T-Mobile website is given in Pacific Time, I'm Central time located. Could this be the issue? I cannot find on T-Mobile website any time setting.

This is indeed a possibility: 2FA is very time-sensitive, so any drift in time on any of your devices could cause the authenticator codes to be rejected. Therefore it's worth checking that the time is actually in sync on your devices, because a difference of just a few seconds could cause this.

A good resource that makes it easy to check this is the following website:

https://time.is/

After making sure the time is the same on every one of your devices, your authenticator codes should be accepted.

Please let me know if this worked!

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member

Update:

• I changed my Mac time zone to Pacific time
    • Closed and opened 1Password
    • Set up the two factor authentication for T-Mobile - no issues this time
    • Changed the time zone back.
      All seems to be working now.
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @Fairgame! That's great to hear :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member

So all is working fine. Thanks1

But my curiosity has a question. Why would T-Mobile website run only in Pacific time when I login from Central time? The time difference was not few seconds but 2 hours. Has anyone seen this with T-Mobile or any other websites setting up two factor?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Fairgame:

Why would T-Mobile website run only in Pacific time when I login from Central time?

Can you please share with us a URL where you see that the T-Mobile website is using Pacific time?

• @fairgame,

Rather than this being time zone related, its more likely that your time was just slightly out of sync and switching time zones caused it to trigger your computer to synchronize its clock with the time server.

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member
    edited September 2020

I have to login to see the times. But, for example, I changed the password and the history indicated that the password has been changed on this day and time in Pacific time. All other entries documenting any changes on the website were listed in Pacific time.
    That and your comment about time sensitivity gave me the idea to change my MacBook time to Pacific time during the 2FA setup. Right after finishing the setup I changed the MacBook time back to Central time, 2FA for T-Mobile still works including on my other devices such as iPhone that are syncing 1Password data.

https://my.t-mobile.com/Login/?r=1

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Fairgame:

From what I see in the screenshot, I think this was unrelated to the 2FA issue you experienced: it looks like the T-Mobile website simply shows times in Pacific time as a choice, but that's unrelated to the actual time on your device. I think that by switching back and forth between time zones, that actually helped fix the difference in time that you had on the device.

In any case, I am glad to hear that things are working fine now :)

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member

Makes sense, good observation. Thanks.
    I thought my Mac checks time automatically. I guess I have to find out where is the setting for it.
    Thank you

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Fairgame:

I thought my Mac checks time automatically. I guess I have to find out where is the setting for it.

It's under System Preferences > Date & Time > Select date and time automatically ;)

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member

It was checked, Apple Americas. Maybe T-Mobile had an issue with time. Who knows.
    Thank you for your help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.