Feature request: Intergration with SSH and terminals

Hi,

So, I use 1Password for work to keep track of hundreds of ssh logins. It's probably not exactly what the devs had in mind when it was created, because there is little integration there.

So I use "Add new item - Server" to create my entries, and it gives a field named "URL". There I put my login-line i.e. "ssh me@theservername.com", but how about a more sexy way to do this? A field linked to my terminal of choice (iTerm in my case), so I can find the server I want to login to, and just hit one button, to open a terminal/terminal tab, and the password is chosen from the password-field and I'm logged in?

I wouldn't be very surprised if not to many people use 1Password like this, however I think it's a pretty good idea. I know Revelation for Linux is a password manager that has this support already, and it seems like a real time saver.

// Daniel

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2011
    This suggestion has come up a number of times in the past. We've had similar thoughts with SSH. We considered SSH Account items that will open Terminal when clicked and run the appropriate command, but I'm not sure how useful this would be. We think SSH has already solved this issue by using keys to avoid passwords. In other words, it would be easier to just type `ssh server.com` than opening 1Password to find the entry.

We've evaluated some other options in this regard as well. I know AppleScript is far too insecure for our needs, for example. I'll mention your request to the developers, though! :)
  • Oh believe me, if it was up to me we'd use keys for all our servers at work, but the decision was never mine, and things are what they are at the moment. And since this is how I work, 1Password always open anyways :)

Thanks for mentioning my request to the devs :-)

// Daniel
  • dubkat
    dubkat
    Community Member
    This would be great. Or if not built-in, perhaps a Quicksilver or Alfred plugin that lets me search for a login and copy the password to the pasteboard.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    There is a Quicksilver plugin, but I think it only works with Login items (not Account items). I'm not sure that there is a secure way to copy passwords to the clipboard with a third-party plugin, but I will pass your vote along for some additional SSH/terminal capabilities!
  • No traction on this yet?
  • castellan
    castellan
    Community Member
    Can I echo this? It would help in my life, too. I'd also like somewhere convenient to store my various git & mercurial passphrases.

...this is how I work, 1Password always open anyways :)

Thanks for mentioning my request to the devs :-)

// Daniel
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the additional vote and welcome to the forums, castellan! If we can find a convenient, secure way to do this, it would be great. We don't get many requests for this, so we need to prioritize our development resources, but I'll be sure to pass your vote along to the developers as well. :)
  • joe_woodward
    joe_woodward
    Community Member

+1 I would also love this, it would make my life a lot more bearable. I do have ssh keys setup but I still need to use the password for sudo and other tasks on multiple servers.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Vote added. Thanks for your feedback on this, @joe_woodward! :)

• Leonty Deriglazov
    Leonty Deriglazov
    Community Member

+2!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Leonty Deriglazov,

I'll add your votes to the stack :) Thanks for letting us know!

• m4gr01ino
    m4gr01ino
    Community Member

+2 :)

• brandont
    brandont
    Community Member

+1 here, this would also be very helpful for me.

• Forinsteve
    Forinsteve
    Community Member

+1! We have this integrated into a web based client which allows 1Password to generate passwords for my terminal that I am unable to remember! Thanks!

• drewhammond
    drewhammond
    Community Member

+1! This would be incredibly helpful. I am coming from KeePass where there was a plugin to integrate with Putty's SSH agent to provide automatic authentication using the private keys stored securely in the database.

I think this would really make 1Password the ultimate tool. It's a prime opportunity considering the mac port for KeePass is awful and I'm sure there are plenty of sys admins out there like me who are new to OS X and trying to fill the void.

• Shy
    Shy
    Community Member

+1 If 1password would be able to launch the Mac terminal and would put the user name and password that would make my life easier.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi all,

Thanks so much for adding your thoughts here! It's great to know what users want to see in 1Password - keep the feedback coming :)

• scaldewi
    scaldewi
    Community Member

+1

• Bartosz Blimke
    Bartosz Blimke
    Community Member

+1

• tidrion
    tidrion
    Community Member

+1