Problem updating to 7.5

Comments

• johnnygoodface
    johnnygoodface
    Community Member

Hey guys, trying to update to version 7.5 and "still" got the same problem we started runing into back in november 2019. Will you ever gonna fix it guys? Apple's to blame or what? Everytime I see that 1password update icon in App Store my heart is skipping a beat! This app is critical for me, and having an update process always that flaky is really scary!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @johnnygoodface!

Can you please elaborate on what the issue is exactly? We haven't received reports about this for a while now.

• johnnygoodface
    johnnygoodface
    Community Member

Hello ag_ana. It's pretty straight forward: I get the update warning from the App Store, sees the 1password update request in there, click the update button, then it starts downloading the new version and at the very end of the update circle, it stops and complains that "Unable to Close "1Password 7" The update for 1Password couldn't be completed. Try again later"
    See picture
    I'm on a subscription, running on Catalina, and using the 1Password extension in both Firefox and Safari.
    Of course I close both of them and 1Password itself before the update just to be on the safe side
    This shouldn't even be necessary: the update process should take care of all that itself, without me having to control-option-command-q 1Password before the update process, everytime since November.
    Thx

• victora
    victora
    Community Member

My system: iMac, running Catalina 10.15.4. I'm on a subscription (1Password7). Today got an update request for which I was requested to give permission (which I did). Now my 1Password-app is not responding, the icon replaced (see attached image); starting 1Password from Program-map has no visible effect. Forced stop command does not show 1Password as one of the active ones. I am lucky to have 1Password running on my iPhone, otherwise I would not have (critical!!!) access to my passwords. I am truly WORRIED!!!

• victora
    victora
    Community Member

Update: I stopped synchronisation on my iPhone (just to be sure nothing would mess up my passwords etc.).
    Then I installed 1Password7 (downloaded on Agile website).
    And... (pfff...relieve!) 1Password7 loaded and ran with all my data intact.

• Thanks for the update @victora!

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2020

@johnnygoodface

This shouldn't even be necessary: the update process should take care of all that itself

I would agree, however we have very limited control over the update process through the App Store. That isn't necessarily to say Apple is to blame here, but our ability to troubleshoot and resolve this is more limited with the App Store version than the version downloaded from us directly.

We've had reports of good success with these instructions:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Open and then quit 1Password completely — ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash, but DO NOT use a "cleaner" app to remove 1Password if you have one (MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, AppZapper, etc)
    4. Empty the Trash
    5. Restart your Mac
    6. Install 1Password from our website: Download for Mac
    7. Open 1Password
    8. Make sure the extension is shown and enabled in Safari under Preferences > Extensions (do not click "More Extensions")
    9. Verify that you're able to use the extension to fill logins

Again I do agree this shouldn't be necessary, and I'll certainly speak with our development team again to see if we have any further options to explore for improving this. In the meantime please let me know how those instructions turn out. :)

Ben

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2020

In speaking with development the biggest challenge here is that with Safari's new(ish) "Safari App Extension" framework, Safari must be quit before apps that have App Extensions can be properly updated. Ideally we would be able to show a message to that effect, but unfortunately doing so would further compound the issue. The best I could suggest at this point would be to make sure both 1Password and Safari are fully quit before trying to install an update. You'll note the first two steps of the instructions I mentioned above are to do exactly those things, which is likely why we've had so much success with them.

The only code-based solution we're aware of here would be to force quit Safari before the update process, but that is a non-starter. It could cause people to lose their active tabs, which I would imagine would be looked upon unkindly.

Ben

• mark24332
    mark24332
    Community Member

Hi all, I am experiencing the same. New update (7.5) available through the Mac Appstore. Downloaded it and tried to update several times but every time it says it failed (did close 1PW app/safari but still no luck).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mark24332:

(did close 1PW app/safari but still no luck).

Closing the main 1Password app might not be enough, if 1Password mini is still running in your menu bar. Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and see if you are able to complete the update in this case?

• mark24332
    mark24332
    Community Member

Followed the steps from Ben and works fine. Thanks.

• On behalf of Ben, you're very welcome @mark24332! We're always here to help if you need it :chuffed::+1:

This discussion has been closed.