Desktop app is very slow to open

Desktop application is very unresponsive when opening, most of the time It takes anywhere between~5-20 seconds for 1password windows to finally open (both mini and full view)

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:slow

Comments

• Could you share how you're opening 1Password, @Pe4enie? I know you mentioned both main and mini, but are you using your keyboard shortcuts? Clicking a shortcut on your desktop or taskbar? Using the icon in your notification tray? In theory, each of these should behave the same, but I've seen some recent easily corrected troubles with certain shortcuts so it could potentially be that simple, depending on your habits.

• Pe4enie
    Pe4enie
    Community Member

Hey @bundtkate,

Yes, I'm using keyboard shortcuts, but tried clicking on the app in the tray as well - menu appears instantly, but the app still opens after quite some seconds. I usually don't turn my PC off and restart actually helped, it's fairly responsive now. I'll try to monitor if application memory becomes heavy after a while or smth.

• If I were to hazard a guess, @Pe4enie, it's probably not application memory so much as that fairly nebulous tendency of computers to slow down generally without an occasional reboot. I know that anecdotal evidence is just about the worst evidence ever, but I've long found that if I don't reboot regularly, everything gradually becomes a sluggish mess. If I had to hazard a guess at why that tends to be the case, I'd say it's that all sorts of temporary nonsense gets saved, apps keep running without you knowing, your browser tabs slowly get totally out of hand (or, y'know, maybe that's just me ... 🙈) and it all adds up to delays until you reboot and everything gets cleaned up.

Of course, it totally could be that something is amiss and it's not your typical troubles, so definitely do keep an eye on it and if things start slowing down without significant system uptime, let me know. :+1:

• Pe4enie
    Pe4enie
    Community Member

Hey there @bundtkate,

thanks for an extensive answer! Was observing 1password behaviour for some time and now again i'm experiencing long response from the application. Uptime of the PC right now is just 4 hours, so it's not that. And it was working fine in the morning. One thing though, I just losts internet connection for some minutes, maybe that's related somehow (whether i think it shouldn't). Is there anything else I can provide from my side to investigate the issue further?

• I could actually see losing internet being relevant, @Pe4enie. I am admittedly a bit behind the times on the status of this issue, but I know that there were some special circumstances that could get sync caught in a bit of a loop which could certainly account for such a slowdown. And it stands to reason connection drops might make you more prone to such things. If you can, could you grab a diagnostics report while things are actively sluggish? Instructions are here:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com and include a link to this thread just in case someone else beats me to it. I am about to scoot for the weekend so chances of that are a bit higher than normal around this time.

If I'm right and it's sync bogging things down, we should see it right away and we can hunt down the right folks to get us an update on progress on that issue. :+1:

• Pe4enie
    Pe4enie
    Community Member

Sure thing @bundtkate , will do that tomorrow, thanks!

• Lovely, thanks so much @Pe4enie! Alas, that means I most certainly won't be around, but some of my teammates do work weekends and if they need a hand sorting things out, I'll be back Monday to take a look. :chuffed:

• Pe4enie
    Pe4enie
    Community Member

Hey @bundtkate, was finally able to get the issue again. Was doing bunch of changes, like adding missing 2FAs where possible, adding tags, etc and felt application was becoming more and more sluggish. Tried closing and re-opening the window and here it is, have to wait for ~10 sec now. Sent diagnostics report to the support email

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Pe4enie:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: AFQ-21564-513

This discussion has been closed.