Eliminate Kids' private vaults?? Kids only share vault with parents?

Momof2teensUSA
Momof2teensUSA
Community Member

Another user posted a question that I think might be similar to mine. Theirs: "Running 1Password for Families version 7.4.758 on a Windows 10 operating system. How can I change the Vault assignment of a login from Private to Shared?"

Mine: I'm a mom of two kids and my husband started our Family account. What I want to do is that the children/minors as they sign into their 1Password accounts (within our Family account) their PRIVATE vault (by default) could be changed to be a Shared vault with me and my husband. This is because: children are minors and all of their passwords should be open to their parents. If they are storing passwords in their own private vault, then we will have a harder time managing their digital citizenry. With the child's own private vault, I have to log into their 1Password account and move all their items into another vault.*

*The other vault has to be another vault that my husband and I (as managers of our Family account) set up that is shared between the child and both parents.

What would be great is that the child's default vault is not private, but in face shared with both parents/managers of the Family account.

Please help with any workarounds, ideas, or technical info that could help me with my goals. THANK YOU!!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Momof2teensUSA! Welcome to the forum!

What I want to do is that the children/minors as they sign into their 1Password accounts (within our Family account) their PRIVATE vault (by default) could be changed to be a Shared vault with me and my husband.

You can do this by changing the Default vault for saving in their 1Password apps, in the Preferences ;)

What would be great is that the child's default vault is not private, but in face shared with both parents/managers of the Family account.

While the Private vault cannot be removed, setting the Shared vault as the default vault for saving items is the closest thing to achieve what you described :)

• gadget78
    gadget78
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

@Momof2teensUSA could you make a "guest" account for them instead, and thus they can not then use a private fault..
    of course they would only be able to use one vault at a time ..
    a "kids/Guest" read only vault.. but would fulfil your needs :) ? or am i missing something ?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That is a good idea @gadget78, thank you for sharing it! Here is the relevant documentation page, in case it's useful:

Share with guests in 1Password Families

• gadget78
    gadget78
    Community Member

Thankyou...
    just for total clarification, is that 5 guest accounts per Family Account, ONTOP of the 5 normal Family member accounts ?
    so 5 guest + 5 family members = 10 in total...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gadget78:

That's correct.

• gadget78
    gadget78
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

excellent news, why is this not promoted more, made clearer, and featured ?
    advertised as a kids restricted account etc maybe ?

• Guests weren't really intended to be used that way. :) The intention from our perspective is that family members (including kids) be added as family members. Guests are provided to accommodate outsiders like the family attorney, accountant, distant relatives who might visit, friends who need your WiFi password, etc. That isn't to say that you can't use guests for your kids if that meets your needs for such situations, but it isn't something we're advertising.

One other reason this may not be an ideal solution is that all family members get access to the built-in Shared vault, whereas guests do not. It isn't really a solution if you:

• Have multiple kids
    • Use guest accounts for each of them
    • Want them to each have their own private vault (private from each other, but shared with the parents)
    • Want to share some items (e.g. the WiFi password, garage door code, etc) with all of them

In that case adding them as a family member, removing the built-in Private vault from their view and setting their default vault for saving to a vault that is shared between them and their parents (in the All Vaults settings), may be the better solution. I suppose the concern there is that they may find this Private vault and save some items there, particularly if they are tech savvy and are trying to work around the restrictions. In such a case they could also just as easily not save these passwords in 1Password at all, if they're trying to hide them from you. As such I'm not really sure guests accomplish the goal any better.

Ben

• gadget78
    gadget78
    Community Member

Think most of them points could/is covered by the guest account,
    only problem i can see would be having to have a Vault for each "guest" and thus not having entries linked, so say a Wifi entry on every Vault would need to be changed if the code changed, and the kids/guests not being able to share stuff with each other without 'parents' copying it over..
    but seems people are wanting to have these restricted type account for their kids!! so it DOES stop kids messing stuff up, getting muddled, sending stupid things to each other etc ...so the pro out-ways the con maybe ?

also on a different note, not sure the need for guest account if its only going to be to share minor details like Wifi Pass, as its just as easy to give them the actual code, than it is a Master Password, and Secret key for an account ?!

but i suppose it does give the option to then change the code at will etc, and i can totally see it being useful for more major details so do love the facility ! and keeps everything 'in-house' which is a bonus, more options the better !....

again Cheers !

• Indeed. If it works for you, have at it. :)

Ben

• asefoiashefou
    asefoiashefou
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

moving my comment to a new post, as it outlines very specific criteria! sorry!

• @asefoiashefou

:chuffed: :+1: No worries, sometimes you need your own space.

This discussion has been closed.