1Password 7 Application in Lauchpad Shows As a Generic Icon

Options
mistersurefire
mistersurefire
Community Member

How do I get back the iPassword icon?

1Password Version: 7.5 (70500002)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G12034)
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:1Password 7 Application in Lauchpad Shows As a Generic Icon

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @mistersurefire

I'd be happy to help with that. First: I noticed you mentioned you're using macOS 10.13, which is two major versions out of date. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If at all possible I'd recommend upgrading to macOS 10.15.

That said, I think you can likely resolve the issue with the icon by reinstalling 1Password. Please try these instructions:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Open and then quit 1Password completely — ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash, but DO NOT use a "cleaner" app to remove 1Password if you have one (MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, AppZapper, etc)
    4. Empty the Trash
    5. Restart your Mac
    6. Install 1Password from our website: Download for Mac
    7. Open 1Password
    8. Make sure the extension is shown and enabled in Safari under Preferences > Extensions (do not click "More Extensions")
    9. Verify that you're able to use the extension to fill logins

Let me know how it turns out. :)

Ben

• mistersurefire
    mistersurefire
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben. Thanks for your reply.

Just to be clear, before I follow your advice, the icon I'm talking about is the icon of the App not of the toolbar. Correct?

Also, does it matter that I have a subscription?

• ag_tommy
    Options

@mistersurefire

Just to be clear, before I follow your advice, the icon I'm talking about is the icon of the App not of the toolbar. Correct?

Yes, the above procedure will allow you to change out the main application. It goes on to make sure the extension is working properly.

Also, does it matter that I have a subscription?

No, it does not matter.

• mistersurefire
    mistersurefire
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. BTW, how do I backup my password data?

• mistersurefire
    mistersurefire
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Reinstalling works. I have my icon back. :)

• Ben
    Options

Glad to hear that worked. You can read about backups here:

1Password backups

Additionally 1Password always caches your data locally, regardless of how you're syncing, and so if you're backing up your Mac with something like Time Machine you're backing up that cache as well. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.