No way to Update for 1Password Extension in Safari?

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited May 2020 in Mac

I noticed my 1Password Extension in Safari is 1Password Extension 4.7.3 and the latest extension version is 4.7.5/4.7.6 (Beta). There isn't as far as I can tell, an update or auto update function in Safari to update extensions? Do I delete the old extension and install the new one?

I noticed I needed to click the 1Password icon twice after typing the Master Password for the first time occasionally. First time after clicking 1Password icon and entering Master Password, when I select the login, nothing happens. After clicking the 1Password icon a second time, it gets filled.

1Password 7.4.3
1Password Extension 4.7.3
Safari 13.1
MacOS 10.15.4

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

There isn't as far as I can tell, an update or auto update function in Safari to update extensions? Do I delete the old extension and install the new one?

You don't need to do anything manually: the extension is included with the 1Password for Mac desktop app. When you update the desktop app, the Safari extension gets updated too.

Version 7.4.3 is the latest stable version of 1Password for Mac from our website, so unless you want to switch to the beta, you are on the latest version and there are no updates at the moment for you.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

@ag_ana,

It confused me seeing the extension updates for Safari, Chrome and Firefox.

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPX4![]

(https://us.v-cdn.net/5020219/uploads/editor/u4/002e83h3wl7c.png "")

I seem to have encountered a bug with the 1Password Extension?

I noticed I needed to click the 1Password icon twice after typing the Master Password for the first time occasionally. First time after clicking 1Password icon and entering Master Password, when I select the login, nothing happens. After clicking the 1Password icon a second time, it gets filled.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Do you see the same behavior if you use the Cmd+\ keyboard shortcut to fill your credentials, instead of clicking on the browser extension icon?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

In addition to the 1Password icon, Cmd+\ will also fill only on the second attempt. I force locked (lock immediately) 1Password and it still happens. I can't find a pattern to consistently make the issue appear. I tried with the login field having the cursor and without the cursor.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @wkleem. If you do find a way to reliably cause the issue to appear please let us know - it may be a bug.

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

I may have been mistaken in thinking the bug could be solved v4.7.3 vs 4.7.5 if the latest version would have solved the issue? According to @ag_ana there is no latest stable 1Password Extension v4.7.5 for Safari.

Version 7.4.3 is the latest stable version of 1Password for Mac from our website, so unless you want to switch to the beta, you are on the latest version and there are no updates at the moment for you.

Agilebits App Update Server shows 1Password Extension 4.7.4, 4.7.5 and 4.7.6 Beta for Safari.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

Hi

1Password 7.5 for Mac stable updater appeared. I'll try the new version first. I'll keep an eye on the 1Password Extension.

With 1Password 7.5 Mac update, the extension follows so it's now 1Password Extension 7.5. It is not following the Chrome and Firefox Extension versioning.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, the update to 7.5 was not available when I last posted on May 4th. The update was released on May 5th.

With 1Password 7.5 Mac update, the extension follows so it's now 1Password Extension 7.5. It is not following the Chrome and Firefox Extension versioning.

That has always been the case in 1Password 7: because 1Password for Mac comes with the browser extension for Safari built in, it will follow the extension version number of the main app. But it's just a difference in the version number.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

I am still experiencing the issue with 1Password Extension v7.5. No success in finding the cause.

I tried to find a pattern with immediate lock. It seems it can appear the first time but not always.

Try with the Agilebits Forum or any login site:

1. If 1Password is unlocked, lock it immediately.
    2. Go to discussions.agilebits.com or any other login site.
    3. Be sure the cursor isn't showing.
    4. Click anywhere where there isn't a text box.
    5. Click on the 1Password icon or Cmd+\
    6. Select Login Autofill.
    7. If it the bug appears, repeat Step 5 to Login Autofill again.

This bug seems new, to me, to 1Password 7. I can try something as I have many vaults, over 60+, I could try disabling them and maybe the response will be quicker? There is Travel Mode disables all vaults by default.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

This report may or may not point to a similar bug. Please suggest to the poster to try double clicking on the 1Password icon to see if it works should the issue reoccur? Trying to be helpful.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/113502/1password-browser-extension-doesnt-work

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I read this 2 year old discussion. Nothing seems out of the ordinary so I still cannot figure out why I am experiencing the reported issue. 1Password 7.5 is in the Applications Folder.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/87953/if-youre-having-trouble-using-1password-7-in-safari#latest

rudy
    If nothing happens when you click the 1Password button in Safari, make sure the 1Password app is installed in your Applications folder.

To ensure that 1Password hasn't been tampered with, the Safari app extension and 1Password Extension Helper code signatures are checked. 1Password will only pass the check if the app is in your Applications folder.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I've found a different bug with the 1Password icon not working at times. It seems New Login might clash with Export As (Cmd + S) in Safari. No resolution, as far as I can tell?

1Password 7 New Login is not working for me in 1Password 7.5 Extension from Safari 13.1.1. I used the 1Password icon to try to save a New Login (Cmd + S) and it fails when I try it. I noticed when I tried Cmd + S, Safari's Export As dialog box can be shown.

When I select New Login it fails with a "thud" sound every time it doesn't work and it can be 5 or more times, successively.

There are other times when New Login does work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: ⌘ S to save a new Login item in the browser can work, but only if 1Password is focused, not the browser -- e.g. open 1Password mini from the menu icon or using ⌘ ⌥ \ first. If you're getting the "thud" sound, something else is stealing focus. I'm not sure why or what that would be though.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hi Brent,

That is just weird. I don't know what could be stealing focus. I just go to the 1Password icon, type in my Master Password when needed, click the gear icon and select New Login (Cmd + S). That is all and 1Password will work when it wants to.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

The New Login (Cmd + S) problem keeps appearing but I still cannot figure out why or how it happens.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have tested this in 1Password mini on my Mac, and following your instructions I was able to get the 1Password prompt to appear when I used the Cmd + S shortcut. Is this happening to you in Safari only? Are other browsers on your system behaving the same way?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have tested this a little bit more, and I think I see what is happening. I think that the problem is not that the keyboard shortcut doesn't work. Instead, the shortcut never works when you are not on a login page. So when the extension does not work, clicking on the New Login entry in the menu does not work either.

But both options (clicking on the menu entry or using the Cmd + S shortcut) work in Safari when you are on a page that has a login form.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited July 2020
    Options

@ag_ana,

I use Safari most of the time. I'll try this out on Chrome and/or Firefox to see what I will find.

Could you try it out on this Agilebits Login page? The keyboard shortcut didn't work on this page, for me.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin?Target=

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On that page, the shortcut did not work for me either, but only when I left the form completely empty (both the username and the password fields). In that case, the Save Login entry (with or without shortcut) did not work.

But when I entered credentials in the form, the 1Password prompt appeared for me, both when clicking on the menu entry and when using the keyboard shortcut. This is in Safari 13.1.1 on macOS 10.15.5.

Does the 1Password prompt appear for you if you enter any information in the username and password field?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited July 2020
    Options

Thank you for the confirmation. Initially, Save Login didn't but after I entered some characters and even after I Backspace/Delete the characters until Username was empty, Save Login (Cmd +S) now works. There needs to be some initial text entry for Save Login to work.

The 1Password icon is still necessary to be clicked twice to get AutoFill working.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear that I could help with saving the login.

I have never been able to reproduce the other issue however, here Safari works fine just clicking on the extension button once.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Is a Diagnostic Report necessary for diagnosing the 1Password icon problem?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem:

A diagnostics report might help. You are free to generate one from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Here is the ticket number:

[#EAS-69829-749]

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @wkleem. I'll have our extensions team review that and get in touch via email. :)

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Great!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2020
    Options

:+1: :)