Copying a field from the 1Password app fails if done too quickly

komocode
komocode
Community Member

When I need to copy a OTP password, I would click on the 1Password chrome extension, quickly type in the first few characters of the site to filter it instantly, click on the result in the list, and click on copy next to OTP.

What happens when I try to paste is that nothing from 1Password was copied into my pasteboard, but instead my previous clipboard from a different app was pasted.

I would try multiple times quickly, and it would fail every time.

However, when I wait 5 seconds before clicking copy on my OTP password, it would work.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.15.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• komocode
    komocode
    Community Member

Forgot to mention, this is a dropbox sync.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @komocode!

I have taken the liberty to move your post to the Mac section, since I see that you are not using 1Password X ;)

I followed your instructions but I could not reproduce this. I am also using the latest version of 1Password for Mac, while I see that you are quite a few updates behind now, so I wonder if that might be part of the issue.

Can you try updating to 1Password 7.4.3 and see if that still happens to you? You might have to download and install manually from our website this time, since there was a bug in the autoupdater in an old version, which has since then been fixed.

• komocode
    komocode
    Community Member

I'll try 7.4.3 and I'll report back.

• :+1:

Ben

• komocode
    komocode
    Community Member

Doesn't work. Just happened now. I tried twice to copy a 2FA code but it never copied. I grabbed my iPhone to quickly take a video clip, but the third time seemed to copy fine.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@komocode:

Thank you for the update. I still cannot reproduce this here. We will keep an eye out to see if we receive other similar reports.

• dj5k
    dj5k
    Community Member

I wanted to weigh in here as I experience this issue as well for several weeks if not months now.

My workflow is as follows:
    In a terminal I need a OTP code for authentication. I will press the keyboard shortcut for the 1password floating windows to appear, move with the arrow keys to the element and within that element to the OTP entry and copy it via pressing enter. After which the floating 1password window disappears making me believe it copied successfully, but on using Command+v the last text I copied before is actually pasted.
    Order of key presses: Command+Option+\ Down Arrow Right Arrow Down Arrow Down Arrow Enter Command+v

As I do this multiple times a day you can imagine I got fast at doing it. Start to finish I can do this easily within 2 seconds, even faster when I'm concentrated or not trying to look at the watch.
    I can reproduce it at any time and multiple times in succession.
    I tried to reproduce it with a different attribute (password or username) but then it always copied correctly (only tried it 5 times).

System: MacOS, 1Password 7.4.3, active subscription with a cloud vault

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing this information with us @dj5k, that's very useful! I still am not able to reproduce this here, but I have shared your message with the rest of the team to see if anyone is able to make this happen :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2020

@dj5k:

We still have not been able to reproduce this, but I was told that we have an open issue to track feedback about this, since it was reported a couple of times before. I have added your experience to that conversation :+1:

ref: dev/apple/issues#4013

• dj5k
    dj5k
    Community Member

Thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome :)

• dj5k
    dj5k
    Community Member

Hello,

any news on the matter?

Thanks

• @dj5k

We have thus far been unable to reproduce the issue. We have about half a dozen customers who have reported similar experiences, but nothing that leads us to what may be causing it.

Ben

• dj5k
    dj5k
    Community Member

Hey Ben, thanks for the response!

If you have any leads on this or ideas, feel free to contact me for details or tests.

Dominik

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @dj5k :)

• dj5k
    dj5k
    Community Member

Just an update: On version 7.5 it's still happening.

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2020

@dj5k

Thank you for updating the topic. I wish I had news to report, but unfortunately, I do not.

• jemmyw
    jemmyw
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

I also experience this issue and it's very frustrating. In fact I did it just now as a test. Open 1password using the keyboard shortcut, type in a search phrase, click the one-time passcode field. The first time it did not copy. The second time it did.

I don't think its a timing issue because it happens even without being speedy. It's more like a focus problem. The first time the field is clicked it isn't really focused and doesn't get the click event or something.

• jemmyw
    jemmyw
    Community Member

@ag_tommy I have a video of the issue happening if that would be helpful. If you email me directly I will send a link to the video. I created a test login for this, but I had to use the search to replicate it so I cannot post to the forum.

• Hey @jemmyw,

It couldn't hurt. :) Please email it to us at support+forum@1password.com. You'll get an automated email reply from BitBot with a support ID. Please post that ID here.

Ben

• jemmyw
    jemmyw
    Community Member

@Ben the support ID is [#VGJ-33135-668]

Note that it happened on the third attempt. Before each attempt I copied "test" to the clipboard first. Doing the search seemed to be the trigger, but I think that might just be coincidence. I recorded about 30+ attempts to copy and it happened a few times but that was the only one I got a clean recording of.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2020

@jemmyw:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your email in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: VGJ-33135-668

• dj5k
    dj5k
    Community Member

Hey guys,

it's fixed for me! It seems the changes in version 7.6 did it for me.

I can now reliably and quickly copy the OTP again.

Thank you very much!

• @dj5k

Thanks for the update. I am glad to hear things are once again working as expected. :)

This discussion has been closed.