Read Only data on my Mac

PaoloAlby
PaoloAlby
Community Member

I have 1Password on my iPhone, synchronized with iCloud.
From years I'm using also the Mac version (got from your 1Password Store, not from App Store).
Since few days everything worked well, I can add/modify data on my iPhone app and also on my Mac app.

But today I noticed that I cannot edit nor add data on Mac app.
I can still add / edit on iPhone 1Password, but on Mac 1Password it says "Read Only".

If I click on "Read Only" button, a popup will appear saying that I have to buy a license. But I don't have any account. I'm using 1Password with just iCloud sync, and it's free.

How can I fix that "Read Only" message?

Thank you!

1Password Version: Version 7.5 (70500003)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Catalina OS X 10.15.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @PaoloAlby

I'm using 1Password with just iCloud sync, and it's free.

I'm sorry but that isn't correct. 1Password is not free. To use 1Password you either need a membership (recommended) or a license (no longer advertised).

Ben

• PaoloAlby
    PaoloAlby
    Community Member

https://support.1password.com/it/sync-with-icloud/

Here I can read that, if I need to sync only 1 "Cassaforte" ("Safe" in english?) I don't need anything than iCloud sync.

Anyway, why for years I used 1Password, with iCloud sync on my iPhone and my Mac, and now it require membership or license?

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2020

@PaoloAlby

Did you perhaps recently update to 1Password 7 from something earlier, like 1Password 6. If so, 1Password 7 would require a separate purchase for a license or the use of a membership.

• PaoloAlby
    PaoloAlby
    Community Member

I don’t remember honestly.
    Do you think that, if I re-install 1Password 6 it will go back to work like in the previous months?

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2020

@PaloAlby

It is possible to return to 1Password 6 if you have your license for that version. I should note the following details.

In September 2019, Apple discontinued the Safari Extension Gallery which was required to install the 1Password 6 extension in Safari. Because of this change, you can no longer install the 1Password 6 extension in Safari. The last major update was in 2018. 1Password 6 is no longer being actively developed and will only receive critical security updates in the future.

1. https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/106771/1password-6-in-safari

2. https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/104999/1password-6-legacy-support-information

My recommendation would be to continue forward and use 1Password 7. If you go with a membership, you are always covered and never have to worry about future upgrades as they are always included.

• Perkins
    Perkins
    Community Member

Hi, I am having a similar problem.

I have the Mac and the iOS version of 1Password. I can still edit login and app passwords on the iOS version, but not on my Mac.

As of this week it says Read-only.

I can't figure out what to do. I upgrade to version 7 in fall 2019 and have an email confirmation, paid about $67 for it. Since it worked until now, I think it must not be a license issue.

What do I need to do? The browser menu bar extension isn't working today either, but was last week.

Thanks,

Perkins

• Perkins
    Perkins
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

Edit: comment posted twice, I deleted this second one by editing it thusly, but this is not really better

• Perkins
    Perkins
    Community Member

Also, I just noticed that it says Mac App Store in the window that opens after clicking About 1Password in the menu bar. But I also have a licence that was emailed to me, which I thought meant that I bought it on your web store, and I don't usually use the Mac App store, so I am confused about this.

• @Perkins

I'm sorry for the trouble.

Also, I just noticed that it says Mac App Store

That would be the problem. 1Password from the Mac App Store only works with 1Password.com membership accounts. It does not work with licenses. To use a license you'd need the version from our website. Please try these instructions:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Open and then quit 1Password completely — ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash, but DO NOT use a "cleaner" app to remove 1Password if you have one (MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, AppZapper, etc)
    4. Empty the Trash
    5. Restart your Mac
    6. Install 1Password from our website: Download for Mac
    7. Open 1Password
    8. Make sure the extension is shown and enabled in Safari under Preferences > Extensions (do not click "More Extensions")
    9. Verify that you're able to use the extension to fill logins

Let me know how it turns out. :)

Ben

• Perkins
    Perkins
    Community Member

How did the Mac App store version get on my computer? How do I prevent it from happening again?

I didn't download it, unless there was an old version from the App store that somehow update in the background?

Thanks.

• Perkins
    Perkins
    Community Member

It works! Until now I thought that 1Password 7 was a greatly diminished app vis a vis 1Password 6 without many of the features I used to enjoy, but it might be because right from November when I started using it there was an issue with the app store version and your web store version somehow both being installed or something to do with this.

Now I can use the autofill and generate password feature again - it was weird and just this click to pin function before today.

I am very happy to see 1Password 7 works now as I expected it to and thank you for the help.

• @Perkins

The only way I'm aware for a Mac App Store app to be on your system would be for you or another user of your system to have installed it.

Ben

• Melchior_ca
    Melchior_ca
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem. I purchased a license years ago and last week upgraded my MacBook Pro to 1Password 7. I got it all installed, it seemed to work fine, then suddenly it switched to "Read Only." I uninstalled, followed your instructions above and reinstalled, but it still stuck in Read Only mode. It's possible trying to install the Safari extension, which I belatedly realized I don't really need, may have caused the problem. In any case, can you please suggest how I can get this working again? Please don't suggest I get a subscription; I'm perfectly able to DIY my synchronization to my iPad and iPhone. Thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Melchior_ca:

Have you applied your license to the 1Password 7 app already?

• Melchior_ca
    Melchior_ca
    Community Member

So I'm trying to figure out how to apply my license to 1Password 7. I have the version from the web site, and there's a button to "Add license..." But when I click on it, the computer just chirps at me and does nothing ("Buy License" is my other option). Before I embark on a long hunt to unravel that problem, can you please tell me what a license file might be named? It's possible that my license is old enough to require a new one. Can you help me identify what the license file would look like (file extension)? Thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Melchior_ca:

The file extension for a license for 1Password 7 would be .onepassword7-license-mac :+1:

• PatriciaW1943
    PatriciaW1943
    Community Member

Recently I have been having a number of problems with 1Password. Today I saw that my site is read-only. I have 1Password 7
    Version 7.6 (70600006) Mac App Store
    I also keep getting prompted to buy 1Password 7 several times a day.
    The other problem I have is that when I use the extension it never lets me enter the data directly like it used to.

• @PatriciaW1943

1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store requires a 1Password membership:

About 1Password membership

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• PatriciaW1943
    PatriciaW1943
    Community Member

I have never had to have a membership. When did this happen?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@PatriciaW1943:

Around 2 years ago, when we released 1Password version 7 :+1:

• PatriciaW1943
    PatriciaW1943
    Community Member

I have used 1Password since version 3 and it is only recently that I have had these problems.

• @PatriciaW1943

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty, but that's the state of things. 1Password 7 from the App Store requires a membership.

Ben

• PatriciaW1943
    PatriciaW1943
    Community Member

Perhaps the problem is that I mistakenly installed the App Store version when I was trying to fix the browser problem.

• @PatriciaW1943

That could certainly be the case, if you have a 1Password 7 for Mac license. Licenses are only applicable to the download from our website, and not the App Store. If you have a license you'd need the version from our website. In that case please try these instructions:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Open and then quit 1Password completely — ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash, but DO NOT use a "cleaner" app to remove 1Password if you have one (MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, AppZapper, etc)
    4. Empty the Trash
    5. Restart your Mac
    6. Install 1Password from our website: Download for Mac
    7. Open 1Password
    8. Make sure the extension is shown and enabled in Safari under Preferences > Extensions (do not click "More Extensions")
    9. Verify that you're able to use the extension to fill logins

Let me know how it turns out. :)

Ben

• PatriciaW1943
    PatriciaW1943
    Community Member

I downloaded it from the website (before I read your comment) and now it isn't in read-only mode. I hope I don't make this mistake again. BTW I didn't do anything other than download it and install it. Will that cause more problems.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@PatriciaW1943:

I believe you are good to go now :)

This discussion has been closed.