Secure note displays empty on Android

mattymattmatt
mattymattmatt
Community Member

I have a secure note which renders and edits normally in 1Password X across all my browsers. For some reason the same note, when opened in the Android 1password app, renders a completely empty text area. The title field and tags are shown, but the body is completely empty. Clicking edit displays an empty note with "Enter your note".

Even more oddly, the preview of the note, when searching for it in the Android app does show the correct contents of the start of the note. I even verified this by editing the note in 1Pass X. The preview in the Android app updated to the new edit, but opening the note still displays nothing at all (not even the preview).

I don't seem to have any other problems with the Android app; most of my passwords work just fine.

I tried uninstalling the Android app in hopes of purging anything stored locally, but the issue persists after reinstalling and signing back in.

1Password Version: 7.5.1
Extension Version: 1.19.0
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @mattymattmatt

I don't often stray into the Android world (Apple guy), but your issue sounds remarkable like you have invisible characters embedded in the note, and it's causing problems with markdown support. As a test, can you disable markdown support? Does the note now appear correctly?

https://support.1password.com/markdown/#manage-your-settings

• mattymattmatt
    mattymattmatt
    Community Member

I think you hit the nail on the head. No idea about the invisible characters, but disabling markdown does make the note content reappear.

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2020

@mattymattmatt

As I said, Apple guy here. If you're on a Mac, I would suggest BBEdit for searching out those characters. I am not familiar with the other OS's. Often times it's a hidden line break in my experience. Maybe someone else will have another suggestion if you're on a different OS.

• mattymattmatt
    mattymattmatt
    Community Member

This gets a bit stranger in that even attempting to empty the content of the note (select all, delete) still causes it to exhibit the same behavior. Also, editing the "blank" text field in the Android app seems to save successfully, but it stays blank on refresh!

• @mattymattmatt Can you let me know what sort of markdown formatting your note begins with? I assume the entire note is formatted somehow if it's not showing up at all. I'd like to test this out on my end.

• mattymattmatt
    mattymattmatt
    Community Member

Looks like I narrowed my reproduction down to the following note content (entered on 1Pass X and viewed on Android):

# Part 1

Section 1

#|+`<c

# Part 2

Section 2

• Thanks @mattymattmatt! It looks like 1Password for Android doesn't like #|+<c`. I've created an issue for our developers to look into.

ref: dev/android/onepassword-android#1160

This discussion has been closed.