Full Password Entry Search for 1Password X

Options

Hello,

I have been using 1Password X for a few months now and I am very pleased with it. One feature I believe that is missing is the ability to find a password entry using data stored in any field of the password.

For example in the notes section of a password entry I might type "MBP" for my MacBook. When I search using 1Password X, using the keyword MBP, my password is not returned since it doesn't appear to be searching the notes field.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 1Password X
Extension Version: 1.19.0
OS Version: OS X 10.15.3
Sync Type: 1Password Sync

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Archer36! 👋

Thanks for bringing up your thoughts here. It's always great to know how folks are using 1Password X as well as how they'd like to see it improve. As of right now, 1Password X isn't decrypting items until you click on them, and that's when you'd be able to see the notes inside. So searching contents of the notes section would require us to decrypt every item. I'm not saying it's impossible, by any means, but it would definitely require a rework of some of the code.

All that said, I'm curious why you wouldn't use a tag for a note like MBP. It seems like that would be extremely useful to you in this situation, and MBP is short enough that a tag would make the most sense, in my opinion. To test it out, I added a tag of MBP to one of my items then searched for "MBP" in 1Password X. The item that I added the tag to appeared right away. Could you give that a try and see if it'd work better for your situation? If I'm misunderstanding something, please let me know!

• Archer36
    Archer36
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kaitlyn,

Yes tagging might be an option. Do you know if it's in the pipeline to improve the user tagging experience similar to how the full 1Password was just updated?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Archer36 – I'm not sure what you mean by that. What are you looking to be improved in regards to the tagging experience in 1Password X?

• Archer36
    Archer36
    Community Member
    Options

On 1Password for Mac, when you start typing a tag, it pops up a drop down list of similarly named tags. I would love to see that in 1Password X, otherwise I tend to get multiple variations of the same thing. For example MI-TF1 vs MITF1.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I see what you're saying, @Archer36! It's not possible to edit items directly within 1Password X, so that would be a potential feature for the 1Password web app. I bet you'd be interested in trying out what we call Desktop App Integration, which allows 1Password X and 1Password for Mac to communicate. With that comes the ability to create an item in 1Password X and have 1Password for Mac open. Then, you'd have the same functionality as 1Password for Mac when it comes to adding tags. Here's a screen recording showing what I mean.

If you're interested in that, you'd need to install the 1Password X beta for Chrome or Firefox as well as the 1Password for Mac beta.

This discussion has been closed.