I want my brother also use 1Password, am I in the right direction?

r1ma
r1ma
Community Member

Hi guys, on the 1password website it's written:
"Five people can join in and have individual accounts on your single subscription. They don't even have to belong to the same household."

I have an individual account that I currently use. If I want my brother to join 1Password and have his own private account, I can do it by upgrading my account to the Family plan and then invite him by his email, right?

Is that way above, becomes cheaper than my brother himself to get himself an individual membership?

Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

I am also reading this https://blog.1password.com/family-organizer-tips/
    "Of great comfort to those who worry about forgetting their Master Password, a family organizer has the power to recover accounts for anyone who does so. Even if they lose their Secret Key, you’re covered."

It doesn't mean that I can access the private data of a family member I invited, right?

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

Also after I invited my brother, he also needs to have a separate Secret Key or he would just need to create a Master Password?

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2020

@r1ma

I have an individual account that I currently use. If I want my brother to join 1Password and have his own private account, I can do it by upgrading my account to the Family plan and then invite him by his email, right?

Yes.

Is that way above, becomes cheaper than my brother himself to get himself an individual membership?

Yes, plus you will get the benefit of https://support.1password.com/recovery/

It doesn't mean that I can access the private data of a family member I invited, right?

No, their data is private, you can't access it. Unless they share it in the "SHARED" vault.

Also after I invited my brother, he also needs to have a separate Secret Key or he would just need to create a Master Password?

He would have his own Master Password and Secret Key.

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

@ag_tommy Thank you so much. It helped a lot.

• Glad to help out. If you have questions along the way, feel free to ask.

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

Just a short question. The family plan is $4.99 per month for up to five people.
    The individual plan is $2.99 per month, per user.
    Right?
    So its economy that with little extra money, I can support my family members and friends to have 1Password too.

• Correct. :) A 1Password Families membership is definitely less expensive than each family member signing up for their own individual account.

Ben

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

The gift cards on https://1password.com/giftcards/ they activate both Family Plans and also Individual plan?

• They can be used for any level of membership, yes. :)

Ben

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

Great to know that, since the 1Password Giftcards are the only way, I can add balance in my account. Since I don't have an international credit/debit card like Visa or MasterCard, that supports recurring payments. I have a friend in Canada that buys the 1Password Gift Cards for me. So I deeply cherish the value of the 1Password gift cards. Thank you.

• On behalf of Ben, you're welcome.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

@r1ma: Keep in mind that your brother's data, even if unreadable by you or others, is still under your control. Should something happen to you or your relationship with your brother, his data could become inaccessible to him (or even deleted at any time by you). He should be made aware of such things before committing to your "family plan."

• Keep in mind that your brother's data, even if unreadable by you or others, is still under your control. Should something happen to you or your relationship with your brother, his data could become inaccessible to him (or even deleted at any time by you). He should be made aware of such things before committing to your "family plan."

That's a reasonable point. :)

Ben

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

Its called Family Plan and family members trust each other.

• It does require a level of trust between the parties, yes. :)

Ben

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

Hi again, by the way, if I want to recover the account of my brother, after I recovered, if I sign into his account, then he will get notification of a new device signed into his account, right?

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2020

@r1ma

For anyone else seeing this topic, to clarify, he (brother) would be the one to sign into his recovered account and set a new Master Password during recovery. You're assisting in the process of account recovery, acting as a facilitator. Then you will need to finalize the account recovery.

https://support.1password.com/recovery/

To answer the last portion, yes, he would get a sign-in notification, if you accessed his account.

This discussion has been closed.