Opening 1Password 7 didn't unlock 1Password X in Chrome

Under previous versions of 1Password and browser extensions and 1Password mini I was able to unlock/open one of these and they would all open. This morning I opened 1Password 7 but it didn't unlock the 1Password X browser extension in Chrome. Is that by design? Can they work in sync when running on the same computer?

1Password Version: 7.0
Extension Version: X v1.7.3
OS Version: 10.13.4
Sync Type: 1Password.com and Dropbox I think?

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @chazzunokuthunuchtec. Right now, 1Password X doesn't have any connection to 1Password for Mac, so it needs to be unlocked separately. We are exploring ways to let 1Password X benefit from the presence of the Mac app without sacrificing the unique experience of a standalone browser extension. It's something we are definitely interested in and would definitely include some shared unlocking like the other extension has. (Actually, to be technical, the other extension is never locked or unlocked because it doesn't have any of your data. All it does is pass messages back and forth with the native app. This is the main thing that makes the 1Password X scenario different because it needs to safely perform a true unlock of your data.) Right now now, both the Mac team is riding the wave of a massive launch and the Windows team is preparing to do the same. Since this will require some coordination with both of them, it's a little ways out, which is about the most specific timeframe I can give you.

I hope this makes sense for the time being. Please do keep an eye on the release notes and our blog because this will be something worth shouting about when it is available. :chuffed:

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chazzunokuthunuchtec: And, alternatively, you can use the 1Password desktop extension, which integrates with the native apps on macOS and Windows:

https://1password.com/browsers/

Cheers! :)

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Community Member

If I use and unlock 1Password X in Chrome but forget to unlock 1Password mini in OS X (a situation when 1Password X is unlocked but 1Password main app is still locked by accident) then the ⌘\ shortcut doesn't fill in a password but instead prompts me to unlock 1Password mini. That's an easy fix. I can unlock the 1Password mini. But then I could reasonably presume that the shortcut won't be using 1Password X. Is there another shortcut for 1Password X? Or, as @brenty mentioned should I instead of 1Password X just use the alternative Chrome extension for 1Password?

I prefer Safari in general, but there are some few sites (ob.macu.com and their bill pay service or statement center, and the uvu.edu Canvas area, and sometimes Netflix) that work better in Chrome and so for those exceptions I use Chrome rather than Safari.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chazzunokuthunuchtec: In Chrome, the shortcut to open 1Password X is ⌘/Ctrl Shift X. In Firefox it's ⌘/Ctrl . (period) So you can select the login you want to fill there. But the inline 1Password X icon in username and password fields is really handy too. Cheers! :)

• Sajjon
    Sajjon
    Community Member
    edited June 2018

Beloved AgileBits!

I love 1Password I use it many many many times a day and I have been a loyal customer for over one year. I also love how fast you respond here in the support forums, thank you for this!

I am a macOS and Chrome user. Earlier I used 1Password 6 ("1P6" for short) with the Chrome extension ("CHEX" for short)

When you announced 1password X ("X" for short, so "CHEX" refers to the old Chrome Extension, "X" refers to the "1Password X" chrome extension) and 1Password 7 ("1P7" for short) beta I quickly switched over. I love both X and 1P7, you have made a lot of GUI improvements.

However, as OP, I find it EXTREMELY frustrating that unlocking 1P7 does not unlock X and vice versa. I have been frustrated with this since their release and been hoping and hoping and hoping that you might fix this / let them talk to each other (exactly like 1P6 and CHEX did!). But no such fix has come.

Do you plan to fix this, for me it is a regression bug since it worked beautifully with IP6 and CHEX?

Just so you understand how the non-linked-1P7-X messes up my day (as opposed to how beautifully iP6 and CHEX worked..):
    I use an external display as my only display for my Macbook Pro, I have my desktop closed so I cannot use the touch id for unlocking X or IP7 - meaning I have to enter my extremely long and secure master password when unlocking. Apart from this, I use multiple Chrome Profiles - meaning that Profile "Foo" has it own Google account and Profile "Foo" its own. This is part of my day, actually, I use 2-4 profiles. Each profile has 1Password X installed as a chrome extension. Every time I leave the computer I lock my computer of course. Which is often because I drink A LOT OF COFFEE. Earlier. using 1P6 and CHEX I JUST had to unlock 1P6 and that was it. Since CHEX for Chrome windows and profiles communicated with IP6 I just needed to enter my master password once in 1P6 and then I could use it in all my chrome windows for all profiles. Now with 1P7 and X, I need to enter my extremely long master password in 1P7 and in 2, 3 or 4 Chrome windows. This is extreeeeemly annoying. It is actually so annoying that I am thinking about either;
    1) Lowering my security by shortening my master password - something that I really do not want to do and something you security experts probably oppose too.
    2) Stop drinking coffee water - I might be more reluctant to this than 1)
    3) Revert back to 1P7 and CHEX

It is difficult to decide which of my three alternatives are the least terrible.

Or you could just make 1P7 unlock X and vice versa - for all/any instances of X (meaning Chrome Profile)

Now I sounded extremely upset, sorry about that. I still love you, your work and my life is dependent on you! :D But I do hope you understand my frustration?

Miscellaneous off-topic questions/thoughts about 1P7 and X:
    Miscellaneous 1: Why did you lower the security in the password generator in X to a maximum of 50 chars instead of 64?
    M2: Does IP7 work with CHEX?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

@Sajjon: lol I was really confused at first when I kept seeing "CHEX", so thank you for explaining. :lol:

Beloved AgileBits! I love 1Password I use it many many many times a day and I have been a loyal customer for over one year. I also love how fast you respond here in the support forums, thank you for this!

Likewise, thanks for your kind words and support, and taking the time to contact us here. It means a lot. :chuffed:

I am a macOS and Chrome user. Earlier I used 1Password 6 ("1P6" for short) with the Chrome extension ("CHEX" for short) When you announced 1password X ("X" for short, so "CHEX" refers to the old Chrome Extension, "X" refers to the "1Password X" chrome extension) and 1Password 7 ("1P7" for short) beta I quickly switched over. I love both X and 1P7, you have made a lot of GUI improvements.

I'm glad to hear that you're liking some of the new stuff we've been trying in 1Password X! It's been fun experimenting with some new ways of doing things, and you've probably noticed that some of this stuff is slowly making its way into our other apps too. ;)

However, as OP, I find it EXTREMELY frustrating that unlocking 1P7 does not unlock X and vice versa. I have been frustrated with this since their release and been hoping and hoping and hoping that you might fix this / let them talk to each other (exactly like 1P6 and CHEX did!). But no such fix has come. Do you plan to fix this, for me it is a regression bug since it worked beautifully with IP6 and CHEX?

I'm sorry for the frustration. This isn't something we can "fix" strictly speaking, as the reason 1Password X exists is so people have a way to use 1Password only in their browser, in cases where they cannot use one of our native apps. For example, folks using Chromebook, Linux, or unable to install apps due to company restrictions. So it's very intentional that 1Password X is "self contained" in this way. And, frankly, there's no Chrome (or Firefox) extension APIs that let us access stuff outside of the browser's sandbox.

However, in the future, in case where the 1Password native app is available, we would like 1Password X to be able to interface with that. I can't say if or when that might be possible, but it's on our wishlist too, even if our priority has to be giving folks without the apps a first class 1Password experience in their browser. :)

Earlier. using 1P6 and CHEX I JUST had to unlock 1P6 and that was it. Since CHEX for Chrome windows and profiles communicated with IP6 I just needed to enter my master password once in 1P6 and then I could use it in all my chrome windows for all profiles. Now with 1P7 and X, I need to enter my extremely long master password in 1P7 and in 2, 3 or 4 Chrome windows. This is extreeeeemly annoying. It is actually so annoying that I am thinking about either;
    1) Lowering my security by shortening my master password - something that I really do not want to do and something you security experts probably oppose too. 2) Stop drinking coffee water - I might be more reluctant to this than 1) 3) Revert back to 1P7 and CHEX It is difficult to decide which of my three alternatives are the least terrible. Or you could just make 1P7 unlock X and vice versa - for all/any instances of X (meaning Chrome Profile)

Hmm. I definitely don't recommend using a weak password. And while I don't know what "coffee water" is, I think it's important to get lots of liquids, especially if you're in the northern hemisphere where summer is coming! But while I can't offer you a hybrid 1Password X solution right now, you can absolutely use the 1Password desktop extension in your browser, which 1Password for Mac (or Windows) can connect to:

https://1password.com/browsers/

So that's what I'd recommend at this time, given your desire to have them work together.

Now I sounded extremely upset, sorry about that. I still love you, your work and my life is dependent on you! :D But I do hope you understand my frustration?

We love you too, and believe me: every time we unlock 1Password X on a Mac or PC we experience the same frustration. Hopefully we'll be able to make all of our lives easier in that regard in the future, but for now, as they say, "there's an app for that": the desktop extension can help. :sunglasses:

Miscellaneous off-topic questions/thoughts about 1P7 and X:
    Miscellaneous 1: Why did you lower the security in the password generator in X to a maximum of 50 chars instead of 64?

Honestly, 64 characters is Super Hyper Overkill Extreme. It's literally off the chart. Granted, I'm not sure that 50 is a better arbitrary length, but the important thing is that it's more than sufficient. With a default "suggested" 20 character password 1Password X generates automatically, you end up with this:

(52)log2=5.7004397181 <- bits of entropy per character
    5.7004397181(20) <- length of password
    = 114.0087944 <- bits of entropy total

Where you're still talking billions of years to brute force it even at billions of guesses per second. So, provided you're using a random password that's roughly that length or longer, you can not worry about it at all and instead just make sure that the site will accept it. :)

M2: Does IP7 work with CHEX?

Yep! I went into more detail above, but please let me know if you have any other questions. have a great day! :chuffed:

• Sajjon
    Sajjon
    Community Member

@brenty, as usual, you (AgileBits crew) wrote an excellent answer, I REALLY DO appreciate that, thanks a lot!

I reverted back to CHEX and it works beautifully with IP7 and "synced unlocked" so now I am happy again and I will be looking forward to hearing news about X being able to unlock 1P7 (1P8?) and vice versa in the future. Thanks!

Nice that you linked to the image I myself use for educational purposes when I teach security, that is indeed a good chart. Actually using upper, lower case and numbers and special chars would be 6.55 bits of entropy each right? So a length of 50 is 506.55 = 327.5 literally of the chart and 646.55 = 419.2, I can see that even 50 is overkill.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brenty, as usual, you (AgileBits crew) wrote an excellent answer, I REALLY DO appreciate that, thanks a lot!

@Sajjon: You're very welcome! And that's very kind of you. Thank you! If I can live up to the high bar set by the other great folks here at AgileBits, I'm happy. :chuffed:

I reverted back to CHEX and it works beautifully with IP7 and "synced unlocked" so now I am happy again and I will be looking forward to hearing news about X being able to unlock 1P7 (1P8?) and vice versa in the future. Thanks!

Sure thing! Glad that the desktop extension is a good fit for you. :)

Nice that you linked to the image I myself use for educational purposes when I teach security, that is indeed a good chart. Actually using upper, lower case and numbers and special chars would be 6.55 bits of entropy each right? So a length of 50 is 506.55 = 327.5 literally of the chart and 646.55 = 419.2, I can see that even 50 is overkill.

That's funny! That chart comes up here on the forum a lot actually. And indeed, when we add digits and special characters that makes it even stronger. I just wanted to use the 1Password X default as a baseline for comparison since that's compatible with most websites. But no harm in even more entropy where you can get it. Cheers! :sunglasses:

• mctavish
    mctavish
    Community Member

Am I over simplifying this to say use 1Password X if you are in an environment that doesn't allow for the 1Password desktop app, and, otherwise, use 1Password extension (desktop required) for Chrome?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @mctavish,

It's kind of up to the user really. Some prefer the things 1Password X does and are willing to accept that it doesn't unlock alongside 1Password for Mac/Windows yet (it's something we're looking at). For those that prefer the consistency the companion extension is still available and does mean it's a single unlock. I suppose it's the case of it's nice to have options and hopefully at some point it won't be an extra decision that needs made.

• mctavish
    mctavish
    Community Member

Thanks littlebobbytables. So what does 1Password X do that 1Password extension (desktop required) doesn't do?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mctavish: Apart from the things discussed above, you can find an overview of the features of 1Password X here:

Get to know 1Password X

Cheers! :)

• mctavish
    mctavish
    Community Member

How about a feature list for 1Password extension (desktop required), so I can compare. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mctavish: We're not big on listmaking, but you can find a similar overview of the 1Password desktop extension on the same support site I linked you to in my previous reply:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

And if you have any specific questions, I'm sure I can answer them. :)

• Good news, @chazzunokuthunuchtec & @Sajjon & @mctavish!! 1Password X now has Desktop App Integration on Mac! 🎉

Check out our recent beta announcement for details on how to set things up so you can use Touch ID on your Mac. Support for Windows and Windows Hello will be coming in a future release.

If you're feeling adventurous, please give the beta a try and let us know how it goes. 😘

++dave;

• Demerion
    Demerion
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

Hey, I just found this old thread for the same reasons OP did, but after reading it, I'm confused.

The desktop extension @brenty linked isn't any different for me than 1Password X. I still have to manually unlock the browser extension after opening my browser, even if the desktop app is running (and 1P Mini is, too).
    According to @dteare, even 1P X should be able to sync to my Mac Desktop App, but it doesn't do so. Neither on Firefox nor on Brave.

Now, is this a bug? Or did I misunderstand @dteare AND the desktop extension for the browser now is the same as 1P X?

I'm getting a MacBook with a fingerprint sensor so I can use TouchID in the future, then I won't have to type in my password each time at least.

EDIT: The desktop extension is not the same for me, it took a (short) while to show up. After restarting the desktop app it is now working for me (even has a dark mode, nice) but some features aren't my cup of cake, like no fill button in the login field, auto pinning when editing, no way to change the icon,...
    Therefore I'll switch back to 1P X, so my original question still stands. Is it a bug that it is not unlocking with the desktop app? Or is that not a feature anymore?

EDIT 2: Figured it out. I just had to install both the 1P X beta and the 1P Desktop app beta to enable it. I assumed it would be out of the beta by now (it's been over a year). You should add a note to the beta version of 1P X that it requires the beta desktop version, it only says it can't connect and that I should install the app if you're using the normal version. :)
    Thank you for your hard work, and sorry for my stupidity here xD
    Now all I need is a dark mode for 1P X (y)

• Demerion
    Demerion
    Community Member

Since my other comment is under review (presumably because I edited it too much, don't know if it will be back):

After some issues I got the integration @dteare is talking about to work. I had to download both the beta version of 1P X and of the desktop app. I assumed it would be out of the beta now (as it's been over a year), so I first tried the normal versions.
    The option finally showed up when I installed the beta version of 1P X, but it asked me to install the desktop app, which I already had.
    Little did I know it had to be the beta version too, you should add a note to 1P X :)
    Now I only need a dark mode on 1P X xD

Thanks for your work!

Maybe this will be helpful to any future traveller coming this way.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for sharing your entire experience here, @Demerion! I'm glad you were able to get the 1Password X beta as well as the 1Password for Mac beta in the end. I'll share your feedback in regards to adding a dark theme to 1Password X. :)

If you run into any more trouble, let me know!

ref: dev/core/core#578

This discussion has been closed.