Problem after upgrading to 1Password 7

Options
kajo
kajo
Community Member

Hello,
I have been using 1Password for many years and I have a license for my MAC laptop which i synch with my android phone. Just this morning, after upgrading to version 7, my account was frozen. It's now Read Mode only and I need to purchase a new license? I wish I hadn't upgraded coz while in version 6 and the previous versions, it was ok.

Can you please assist?
Appreciate it much.
Thanks

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7.0.4
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: WLAN Server

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

It looks as though you had a standalone licence for 1Password 6 (or whatever previous version of 1Password you were using) and you've managed through the (frankly difficult) setup screens for 1Password 7 to end up with a trial subscription account at 1Password.com. Does that sound right?

If it does, you can follow this procedure to sort things out. That will give you the choice to stick with 1Password 6 for the time being (assuming that's what you were using before the current update) or to try again to navigate the setup screens for 1Password 7.

There's a rather poor AgileBits' guide here to upgrading to 1Password 7 for Mac but it's really rather vague in terms of how to get a standalone licence and there are no screen shots of the setup screens. If you do try to upgrade again and can't find your way through the setup screens do please post again here before you get too far in!

In passing, AgileBits for goodness' sake let's have a decent page guiding people through the update process, with screen shots—and including proper details for those poor souls who want to stick with a standalone licence (like me). There are far too many posts here at the moment from people who've got lost among the setup screens and have ended up with a trial 1Password.com account they don't want.

Stephen

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kajo - sorry for the trouble you've experienced. 1password.com accounts enter Frozen status only after 30 days (that's the free trial period). So, while I hate to disagree with @Stephen_C, if you upgraded to 1Password 7 for Mac on the morning of June 7 and your account was already frozen, that means you'd created it at least a month prior. Do you remember creating a 1password.com account a while back?

When you upgraded from your previous version of 1Password to version 7, your version 6 data should have been imported into 1Password 7. Was it? Do you see your Primary vault in 1Password 7 now, or only the frozen 1password.com account vaults? Please go to 1Password Preferences > Vaults and tell me what you see there? Thanks in advance -- and don't worry; we'll get you sorted out.

1Password 7 for Mac is indeed a new purchase for all users except those who bought previous licenses after March 27 of this year, or those who are already 1password.com members (for whom the upgrade is free). If you have an older standalone license, you'll need to either purchase a new standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac ($49.99 for a short time during this launch special), or subscribe to a 1password.com membership. If you don't want to do either of those things, you're welcome to continue using 1Password 6 on your Mac for as long as you continue to have hardware and versions of macOS that can run it. Let us know what you want to do.

• kajo
    kajo
    Community Member
    Options

Whew, good thing there was a backup on version 6 (1Password 6.app.zip) so i reverted back to the previous version (thanks @Stephen_C) . I don't plan any time soon to upgrade to v.7 since v6 works fine with me and I hate to lose my access again. I'm highly dependent on this tool to manage all my passwords. Anyway, I bought my license last 2013. I hope there's no more charge for an upgrade. Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kajo

I bought my license last 2013. I hope there's no more charge for an upgrade.

There is. 1Password 7 for Mac is a paid upgrade for all users except those who purchased a standalone license for 1Password 6 for Mac on or after March 27, 2018. If your last purchase was five years ago in 2013, then yes, there will be a charge to upgrade to version 7. And, as time goes on, the same will hold true for version 8, 9, etc. 1password.com members get all four of our 1Password applications included with the cost of their monthly or annual membership, but there will be no way to avoid an additional purchase if you wish to upgrade beyond 1Password 6 for Mac.

That said, you will never "lose access" to your data from a simple upgrade, even if you choose not to buy it. 1password.com accounts that are in Frozen status can be accessed either in-app (provided you've already added it prior to it becoming frozen) or in a browser at 1password.com. What "frozen" status means is not that your data is inaccessible, but that you cannot add, change or delete any of it. The same is true if you have a standalone app that's in Read Only mode because it hasn't been purchased: you can still unlock the app with your Master Password and see all your data inside. You can even copy individual items and paste them wherever you need. Or you can export your data to take with you elsewhere. Again, your data is yours, and you are never "locked out" for non-payment.

What you experienced sounds like a case of having created a 1password.com account some time ago, and having the switch from version 6 to version 7 not go smoothly for you. I'd still be happy to help you get that sorted if you like, so you can continue enjoying 1Password 7 for Mac -- or you can stick with 1Password 6 for Mac for as long as you have devices on which it will run. Let me know! :)

• cycleops
    cycleops
    Community Member
    Options

Sure would be nice IF THE INSTRUCTIONS MADE IT CLEAR THIS VERSION HAD TO BE PAID FOR! Epic fail Agilebits. Will start shopping a new password program.

• cycleops
    cycleops
    Community Member
    Options

Cannot find 1 pass 6 zip file. How can I revert to 1 pass 6?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cycleops - I'm sorry for the confusion! Which instructions are you looking at? Our pricing page lists the cost for 1password.com memberships, and the blog post announcing 1Password 7 for Mac covers the upgrade costs of the standalone license.

When you say "1Password 6 zip file," do you mean a backup of your data? Or just the application itself? When you upgraded to 1Password 7 for Mac, the first run should have zipped up the 1Password 6 for Mac application and left a copy in your Applications folder. You should be able to quit 1Password 7 for Mac, drag it to the trash, and just unzip that file. If you can't, however, you can always download a fresh copy of 1Password 6 for Mac from our downloads page down near the bottom under "Using an older computer?" Hope that helps, but let us know if you need help with anything else. :)

• cycleops
    cycleops
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the reply, I finally figured it out. But just like every other greedy company out there these days everybody wants to charge and charge and charge for something I bought in 2015 and was told it was a one time charge for 1Password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cycleops -

...everybody wants to charge and charge and charge for something I bought in 2015

If you'd like to enjoy the new upgrades and advances our developers and designers have made to 1Password since the time when you purchased their previous work, then yes, they do enjoy getting paid for their efforts since then. :) Obviously, it's incumbent upon us to demonstrate to not just you but everyone else that the changes/upgrades we've made in new versions is worth the price we charge for it, and opinions on that will certainly vary. That's why each person is free not to purchase a new full-version upgrade.

We have never said publicly that there was a one-time charge for 1Password that entitled users to free upgrades forever, however, mostly because that's never been true. What has been true, and what you may be remembering, is that 1Password licenses never expire: you can use the license for the version you purchased it for, forever...assuming you have hardware and versions of macOS on which it will run. For example: people who bought 1Password 3 for Mac in 2010 could still use that eight-year-old license to install and license 1Password 3 for Mac on as many Macs as they still had that are still running OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) or 10.7.5 (Lion) -- the versions that were current when 1Password 3 for Mac was also current. But most people are no longer running Snow Leopard or Lion, and 1Password 3 for Mac doesn't run very well at all on macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”). And that eight-year-old license for version 3 does not entitle its owner to license a copy of version 7 for free.

• cycleops
    cycleops
    Community Member
    Options

All I’m saying is that the instructions before I downloaded or not clear that it was going to cost me another 50 bucks. And so I get version seven downloaded and I’m all excited and ready to go and it keeps asking me to put in all these numbers for this new account never was explained that this was a pay for version. So now I’ve got version six and version seven and I spent about four hours trying to sort it out. You could’ve saved me a whole a lot of wasted time and aggravation by first letting me know there was going to be a charge. I’ve had 1password for three years now and there’s never been a charge for software upgrade until now so why would I think this is going be any different. You’ve never charged me again since my initial payment.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cycleops

I’ve had 1password for three years now and there’s never been a charge for software upgrade until now so why would I think this is going be any different. You’ve never charged me again since my initial payment.

Indeed, and that's partially on us. If you bought 1Password in 2015 then you would've been purchasing version 5.x at the time, and you got a FREE full-version upgrade to version 6, just like everyone else. In other words, you've had a pretty good deal, and we're glad to have provided it to you. :) I apologize that the absence of any additional charge over three-plus years led you to believe there would never be another charge, and we plan to be more consistent in our paid upgrades from now on. When we do, we'll try to make sure users are aware that we follow the industry-standard upgrade policy I outlined earlier regarding paid full-version upgrades.

If you're the kind of user who prefers no surprises when it comes to upgrading as well as syncing your data, I'd suggest you look into a 1password.com membership -- it gives you access to all four of our native apps (not just Mac, but also Windows, iOS and Android), including all future upgrades for as long as you maintain your account. No messing with upgrade license purchases, lost license keys or switching platforms and having to purchase another license. Just install the most-recent version as soon as it's out, and continue right along. Let us know if you have any remaining issues or questions, and thanks for taking the time to drop by and let us know of your experience. Have a great rest of your week! :)

• Brazad
    Brazad
    Community Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

I just installed version 7 and was surprised to see that my account was frozen. "Not to worry," I thought, "I don't mind at all paying for developers to upgrade the software so I will purchase another standalone license."
    I have spent the last hour trying to figure out how to purchase another standalone license. The process is buggy at best and dishonest at worst since it feels like you trying to force a monthly subscription on me. Please help me figure out how to buy a license for 1Password 7. Agilebits can create amazing software (I'm a huge fan and tell others often), but they can't create a solid, straightforward license upgrade process? Come on.
    Thanks,
    Tired, cranky, and frustrated.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Brazad - I'm sorry for the trouble! If you got a message that your account is frozen that means you created a 1password.com account at some point more than 30 days ago in the past. All 1password.com accounts come with a free 30-day trial, but if you don't subscribe after that point, the account enters Frozen status.

Is your data in the 1password.com account vaults, or still in standalone vaults? If you're not sure, please open Preferences > Vaults and tell me what you see there - the number of vaults, and their names. Thanks.

• Brazad
    Brazad
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for jumping in to help @Lars , even though you could sense my frustration. Well done.

You are correct, I did start a 1password.com trial several years ago. For me there was little additional benefit, so I went back to my standalone vaults hosted on DropBox. It makes sense to me now regarding what happened, although I still thing Agilebits could do a much better job of helping someone like me transition for V6 registered standalone to V7 registered standalone. Instead, am I talking to you who will eventually help me fix this.

To be clear, I am currently signed up for a month to month (which was the ONLY option I was given to unfreeze my account) and I would like to buy a standalone license instead. Since I had to put my credit card info on file with Agilebits, this should be fairly simple.

Thanks,
    Brad

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Brazad - thanks for the additional information. To get a better idea of what's where in your 1Password setup, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#ZDZ-55887-338]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @Brazad only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: ZDZ-55887-338

• Brazad
    Brazad
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Done! Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• hja
    hja
    Community Member
    Options

So now the rules have changed!!! I don't dispute the economic argument but I purchased this product with the stated and operational understanding that upgrades would be free. I think you do disservice to your early supporters. I fear now you will change the rules again whenever economically convenient. So I will continue to use 1password 6 as long as feasible then will find an alternative.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2020
    Options

@hja

Our license agreement has never included upgrades. I'm sorry if something we said lead you to believe upgrades were included. In fact licenses not including upgrades was one of our motivations for building the 1Password.com membership service. We want people to be using the latest version, and so holding off from that due to a large lump of money being needed to upgrade was a barrier to that. That's why memberships do include upgrades.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.