Unable to establish connection with a 1Password desktop app

Comments

• hxgrp
    hxgrp
    Community Member

Fantastic, thank you @kaitlyn! I have one other quick question I'm not sure is worth its own thread: is there going to be a merging of the 1Password 7 and X "brands" at some point? I admit I was thrown off by the naming at first. I assumed the issue I reported above was due to me having the 1Password 7 app but X extension, and spent some time looking for a 1Password X app and wondering how in the holy hell I missed three major version bumps (assuming X = 10).

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@hxgrp โ€“ I think that's a really good question! As far as I know, there isn't any plan to merge 1Password 7 and X. 1Password X was really named that way because it's an eXtension, but Apple really changed the game when they released the iPhone X (10). I realize X is a roman number number as well, but I don't think it's what we were going for when naming 1Password X. Either way, 1Password 7 and 1Password X are different beasts, and I don't see them merging. I do see where you're coming from in regards to the naming though. Thanks for sharing things from your perspective!

• RowlandVale
    RowlandVale
    Community Member

When will this be available in the stable version? I was on the Beta but had to give it up on my work computer due to constantly requiring admin creds to update (which my IT dept has to provide). This feature has been in beta for months now?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@RowlandVale โ€“ I wish I had more info for you, but I honestly don't have anything new to share. Desktop App Integration is an extremely robust feature that we want to ensure works very well before we release it to the stable versions of 1Password X and 1Password for Mac. We'll likely make an announcement once it does become available in the stable versions, so stay tuned. :)

• bednar
    bednar
    Community Member

Hi All, seems like I too have the same problem and restarting Device Keys or anything else seems to be helping... My setup:

1Password 7 Version 7.5.1.BETA-0 (70501000) 1Password Beta
    1Password X 1.20.0.beta (build #20108)
    Chrome Canary Version 84.0.4143.7 (Official Build) canary (64-bit)

And the logs:

13:33:41.989 background.js:2 Initializing 1Password X...
    13:33:42.715 background.js:2 Initializing Desktop App Integration. Attempting to connect to native app. ๐Ÿ’Œ
    13:33:42.716 background.js:2 ๐Ÿ–ฅ Looking for native app 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password
    13:33:42.857 background.js:2 Preparing hello payload for device uplcu54bdnkcawjm7yt75bkhce:
    13:33:42.857 background.js:2 (accountUUID, userUUID, server) => (, , 1password.eu)
    13:33:42.859 background.js:2 Signing payload for account with kid q2ckmivelnu3jpl4oegzo2f5pi
    13:33:42.865 background.js:2 Finished initializing beta 1Password X 1.20.0 in chrome (20108)
    13:33:42.866 background.js:2 Native app port disconnected. Error: Specified native messaging host not found.
    13:33:42.868 background.js:2 ๐ŸŒˆ Sending message to native app
    13:33:42.869 background.js:2 ๐Ÿ’ฅ Failed to send because our port was disconnected.
    13:33:42.880 background.js:2 crypto tests: 182.60595703125ms
    13:33:45.372 background.js:2 ๐Ÿ–ฅ Looking for native app 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password
    13:33:45.478 background.js:2 Preparing hello payload for device uplcu54bdnkcawjm7yt75bkhce:
    13:33:45.478 background.js:2 (accountUUID, userUUID, server) => (, , 1password.eu)
    13:33:45.478 background.js:2 Native app port disconnected. Error: Specified native messaging host not found.
    13:33:45.479 background.js:2 Signing payload for account with kid q2ckmivelnu3jpl4oegzo2f5pi
    13:33:45.479 background.js:2 ๐ŸŒˆ Sending message to native app
    13:33:45.480 background.js:2 ๐Ÿ’ฅ Failed to send because our port was disconnected.
    13:33:48.879 background.js:2 [model/old_user#deriveMasterKey] Error: Missing Master Password
    at t.n.getCredentials (background.js:2)
    at background.js:2
    (anonymous) @ background.js:2
    13:33:49.263 background.js:2 [action/auth#signInWithMpAndSk] Error: Missing password or srpX
    at e. (background.js:2)
    at Object.next (background.js:2)
    at new Promise ()
    at xb (background.js:2)
    13:33:49.263 background.js:2 [action/auth#signIn] Error: Missing password or srpX
    at e. (background.js:2)
    at Object.next (background.js:2)
    at new Promise ()
    at xb (background.js:2)
    13:33:50.480 background.js:2 ๐Ÿ–ฅ Looking for native app 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password
    13:33:50.585 background.js:2 Preparing hello payload for device uplcu54bdnkcawjm7yt75bkhce:
    13:33:50.585 background.js:2 (accountUUID, userUUID, server) => (, , 1password.eu)
    13:33:50.586 background.js:2 Signing payload for account with kid q2ckmivelnu3jpl4oegzo2f5pi
    13:33:50.586 background.js:2 Native app port disconnected. Error: Specified native messaging host not found.
    13:33:50.587 background.js:2 ๐ŸŒˆ Sending message to native app
    13:33:50.587 background.js:2 ๐Ÿ’ฅ Failed to send because our port was disconnected.
    13:33:57.196 background.js:2 PBES2g-HS256(100000): 40.416015625ms
    13:33:57.259 background.js:2 [LM] Started (minutes=2, lock on sleep=true).
    13:34:12.506 Unchecked runtime.lastError: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist.
    13:34:12.506 Unchecked runtime.lastError: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist.
    13:33:57.285 _generated_background_page.html:1 Unchecked runtime.lastError: The message port closed before a response was received.
    13:33:58.528 background.js:2 PBES2g-HS256(100000): 46.93798828125ms
    13:33:59.043 background.js:2 Signed in successfully to and loaded account details. Elapse time 1782ms.
    13:33:59.334 background.js:2 Ensuring device keys are available for 1 accounts now that we are unlocked.
    13:34:00.595 background.js:2 ๐Ÿ–ฅ Looking for native app 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password
    13:34:00.697 background.js:2 Preparing hello payload for device uplcu54bdnkcawjm7yt75bkhce:
    13:34:00.697 background.js:2 (accountUUID, userUUID, server) => (, , 1password.eu)
    13:34:00.698 background.js:2 Signing payload for account with kid q2ckmivelnu3jpl4oegzo2f5pi
    13:34:00.712 background.js:2 Native app port disconnected. Error: Specified native messaging host not found.
    13:34:00.716 background.js:2 ๐ŸŒˆ Sending message to native app
    13:34:00.716 background.js:2 ๐Ÿ’ฅ Failed to send because our port was disconnected.

Is it a known problem for these realeses? All of them are up to date.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@bednar โ€“ There are a couple extra steps you'll need to take to get Desktop App Integration working in Canary. Please give these steps a try. Let me know how it goes!

• bednar
    bednar
    Community Member

Woah, @kaitlyn, this actually works! Didn't realize there are different steps for Canary as everything else just worked. Thanks a lot :)

• On behalf of kaitlyn, you're welcome.

• stevenmchoi
    stevenmchoi
    Community Member

I'm getting a similar error and this message in my 1 Password X Beta:

I'm using Brave and 1Password 7 with beta builds on macOS 10.15.4.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@stevenmchoi:

What version of 1Password X beta and of 1Password for Mac beta are you currently running?

Also, do you see this account added in the 1Password for Mac app under Preferences > Accounts tab?

• stevenmchoi
    stevenmchoi
    Community Member

1Password X Beta: 1.20.0

1Password for Mac: Version 7.5.1.BETA-0 (70501000)

Yes, my account has been added in the Accounts tab of the Preferences.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@stevenmchoi:

Thank you for the confirmation! I would like to ask you to get some logs from 1Password X and email them to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• jorijnsmit
    jorijnsmit
    Community Member

Same here;

Unable to establish connection with 1Password desktop app.

• 1Password 7 Version 7.6.BETA-0 (70600000)
    • 1Password X 1.20.0.beta (build #20108)
    • Google Chrome Version 83.0.4103.61 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  • @jorijnsmit

Try completely quitting the browser and then quit 1Password completely by right-clicking on the helper icon, and selecting 'Quit 1Password Completely'. Finally, start 1Password and then the browser.

• jorijnsmit
    jorijnsmit
    Community Member

Hmm so it appears to be connected (no error message) but when try to unlock with Touch ID it doesn't do anything and going into the menu again it does display the error message.

Is there any accessibility or other permission I am missing?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

I'm curious what your 1Password X log has to say, @jorijnsmit. Would you mind grabbing a copy of that for me? You can find our guide here. Please either paste the log here or email it to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread as well as your forum username. We'll take a look and go from there!

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue of no connection to 1Password Mac desktop app. Running all the latest 1Password betas, on MacOS Catalina 10.15.5.

Microsoft Edge 83.0.478.37
    1Password 7 Version 7.6.BETA-0 (70600000)
    1PasswordX beta 1.20.1

Ideas?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2020

@TravelSD:

I have found the logs you sent us via email, thank you! We will take a look and continue the conversation via email :+1:

ref: JMS-54161-655

• monsieurfunky
    monsieurfunky
    Community Member

Same issues here. Latest beta versions on OSX and Chrome browser but it says 'no connection"....

• Sorry for the trouble, @monsieurfunky. We'd like to take a look at the logs from your instance of 1Password X. Instructions for gathering the logs can be found here. Please email the logs to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread (https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/564216/#Comment_564216) as well as your forum username. Once we have the logs we'll be in a better position to see what is going on 'under the hood.' Thanks!

Ben

• monsieurfunky
    monsieurfunky
    Community Member

@Ben Yaron (customer service) helped me out and with the following procedure it's working again!

"I've investigated the log you sent and it looks like the desktop app is quitting whenever 1Password X tries to connect to it. Can you please try the following:

1. Restart your Mac.
    2. Open and unlock the 1Password 7 desktop app.
    3. Open your browser, then right click the 1Password icon on the top right corner and select "settings".
    4. Turn desktop app integration off and then back on"
  • ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad I was able to help, @monsieurfunky :)

I do believe the Restart there did the trick and the rest of the steps are unnecessary, but thanks for posting it here as well!

• Stanzilla
    Stanzilla
    Community Member

Did all the steps but the browser extension still can't establish a connection

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Stanzilla ,
    Please follow Ana's instructions here to grab the logs and send them over via email to us.

• Stanzilla
    Stanzilla
    Community Member

Done! It's [#DLH-62145-672]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! We'll continue the conversation via email. :)

• monsieurfunky
    monsieurfunky
    Community Member

@Ben The problem returned. I tried to do the same steps as mentioned before. But the option 'turn desktop app integration' is not there anymore when I right click on the icon in the browser. I'm using the latest and up to date beta builds of the exension and app

1.Restart your Mac.
    2.Open and unlock the 1Password 7 desktop app.
    3.Open your browser, then right click the 1Password icon on the top right corner and select "settings".
    4.Turn desktop app integration off and then back on"

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @monsieurfunky ,

We've temporarily removed the Desktop App Integration feature, you can read the official announcement here.

• monsieurfunky
    monsieurfunky
    Community Member

@ag_yaron I've read the post, thanks for the quick reply. So please explain to me how I can prevent that within Chrome, I have to fill in my master password each time when loggin into a site. Touch Id is not working anymore. I enabled the apple watch integration but that doesn't seem to make any difference. This is a major downgrade in user friendliness...

• @monsieurfunky

At present the supported way to use Touch ID / Apple Watch to unlock 1Password in your browser is to use our companion extension instead of 1Password X. Please uninstall 1Password X and install the companion extension here:

https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers

We are working on a solution for 1Password X to do this, and it was in beta testing, but we hit a roadblock and it has been removed. It will be back (in beta) and better than ever, hopefully before the end of the year.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.