What are we supposed to do about browser extensions after a 1Password update is run?

siplhium
siplhium
Community Member
edited May 2020 in Mac

Confusion always seems to reign after an update (the most recent being 7.5). First, the browser extension stops working. 1Password suggests that I add the extension to the browser ("do you want to add 1Password to Google Chrome?"). It's not at all clear whether we have to remove and reinstall the extension, quit the browser and relaunch, both, or nothing, or what. Perhaps this varies by browser, but where can I find a concise explanation so that this doesn't keep happening every time there's an update? C'mon folks, please don't make us work any harder than we have to....

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.15.4
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:update extension

Comments

• Hi @siplhium

I feel your pain, and I'm sorry this doesn't work more smoothly. It turns out that securely communicating between a native Mac app and a host of browser extensions across various extension frameworks can be a bit of a challenge. 😆 The best solution is to quit any running web browsers as well as 1Password before updating 1Password. We've looked at the possibility of showing a message to this effect when an update is attempted, but it turns out that only makes things worse, as then 1Password is hung up from quitting automatically. If you forget to do so, in most cases a reboot will fix it. If a reboot doesn't do the trick then we have more in-depth troubleshooting we can do.

If you're using a 1Password membership, and any supported browser other than Safari, you may want to give our 1Password X browser extension a try instead of the traditional "1Password extension (desktop app required)" one. 1Password X does not communicate with 1Password for Mac, and as such does not have this problem. If you're a Safari user then the Safari App Extension (built into 1Password for Mac) is your only option, and as such the above quit-before-update procedure is the best solution. Please note that only one 1Password browser extension should be enabled in any given browser in order to avoid conflicts.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• siplhium
    siplhium
    Community Member

Thanks Ben. 1Password is already showing a message suggesting adding the extension to Chrome, which does users no favors. That message should be removed. What you're telling me suggests that running the update also updates the browser extension. Is that correct? Is there really no way to safely advise users either before or after updating what the procedure should be? I may try 1Password X, but it seems as though the updating instructions could be improved to save users time and aggravation.

• @siplhium

1Password is already showing a message suggesting adding the extension to Chrome, which does users no favors.

It is showing that because the two aren't communicating. 1Password doesn't know that the extension is installed in Chrome because the extension isn't talking to it. I think the best we could do here would be to add a link to the aforementioned additional troubleshooting steps with a note to try those if the extension is in fact installed.

What you're telling me suggests that running the update also updates the browser extension. Is that correct?

For Safari, yes. For the other browsers, no. But that's really not actually what's important here. What is important is the communication between the two (the app and the extension).

Is there really no way to safely advise users either before or after updating what the procedure should be?

Definitely not with the App Store. When updating through our website, we may have more wiggle room, but having the app itself provide such a message, as I said, has been tried and proven to cause more problems (as it prevents 1Password from quitting).

I may try 1Password X, but it seems as though the updating instructions could be improved to save users time and aggravation.

Understood. :) Thanks.

Ben

• siplhium
    siplhium
    Community Member

Just one more point of clarification: since the update does not update the Chrome extension, then we need to do that manually (presumably remove the old version and install the new one), correct?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2020

@siplhium

Ah, sorry for any confusion caused on that point. No: that shouldn't be necessary. There usually isn't a new version of the 1Password extension with each release of 1Password. In fact the last update to the Chrome / Firefox extension was this time last year. Your browser should be automatically be keeping the extension up to date.

The reason Safari's extension updates each time is because Safari's extension is integrated in the 1Password for Mac app. It isn't a separate installation. And so even if nothing changes, it gets updated each time 1Password updates.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.