I need to install 1Password on 2 Windows User accounts on the same PC

I have 1Password installed on my Windows 10 PC in my Windows user profile. I need to install 1Password on the same PC in my wife's windows profile. Currently my wife has to log out of her windows profile and log in to the computer as me in order to access the 1Password application. We do not want to access through the web browser. We should be able to access the application regardless of who logs into the PC.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:windows profiles

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2020

Hi @Chuckswolves! Welcome to the forum!

Currently my wife has to log out of her windows profile and log in to the computer as me in order to access the 1Password application.

Has she installed the 1Password in her Windows user account already? It sounds like currently you have only installed it in your user account, which would explain why she has to use your account to use the app.

• Chuckswolves
    Chuckswolves
    Community Member

I have installed the app under my profile. When I try to install under the second profile it says 1Password is already installed on this machine. Although it says that it is already installed, there is no access to the application, no desktop icon, not found in search, and not found under windows start. The only access is from the other profile.

• Any chance you installed 1Password as administrator on your profile, @Chuckswolves? 1Password installs in the user folder so it should only install for the active user. By all indications, it seems that's the case, but Windows certainly seems to believe otherwise and the only thing I can think of that might cause that is if you installed as admin. I don't have others that use my PC, but I do have a ton of user accounts set up for testing purposes and I've installed for one of them as recently as a few days ago without trouble, so something is clearing going awry for you here.

• Chuckswolves
    Chuckswolves
    Community Member

My wife and I use accounts that have reduced privileges. I don't like to browse the web with an account that has full admin rights. When ever I install a new application I am prompted to enter the user name and password for the administrator account. I would have installed under the local admin credentials. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall with a different account? There is no risk of data loss when I completely uninstall is there?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2020

@Chuckswolves:

Are you syncing your data somewhere? If so, you can restore your data from your current sync method.

ref: AMU-46711-773

• Aquadoc
    Aquadoc
    Community Member

I am having exactly the same problem, so let me know if you figure it out

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Aquadoc:

Have you installed 1Password in both user profiles already?

• Aquadoc
    Aquadoc
    Community Member

Yes. I believe so, though maybe I just installed the extension in my wife's account. I'll check that. But I think I've tried to install 1Password in her profile already and got the same error message that @Chuckswolves reported above. And I am the administrator of our machine, too, if that is an issue?

• You would need to install both app and extension on both profiles, @Aquadoc. Just normal installs, too, not admin. Installing as admin could leave it in the wrong place and potentially lead to trouble of this sort.

• Aquadoc
    Aquadoc
    Community Member

OK, will give that a shot

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good! Let us know how it goes @Aquadoc :+1:

This discussion has been closed.