Delete local copy of pdf file

Options
LoriL2
LoriL2
Community Member

I saved a pdf file in 1Password and on my iPad clicked the "view document" and the only option was to allow 1Password to download it. I'm done viewing the document and do not want it saved to on my local iPad because it contains sensitive information. On the Mac, I have the option of "deleting a local copy" but I don't see that on the iOS version.

Did 1Password save this pdf file on my iPad or is it just in the cache which will delete it eventually?

1Password Version: 7.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @LoriL2!

In 1Password for iOS, I am not aware of a way to do this inside the app at the moment, but uninstalling and reinstalling the app should clear the cache of downloaded document. Keep in mind that everything stored inside 1Password is encrypted however, even documents.

• LoriL2
    LoriL2
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_ana - thank you. So, even if it's "downloaded", it's encrypted? I basically attached my 1Password Emergency Key pdf with my filled in password and viewed it on my iPad. So is it ok that 1Password downloaded it? I don't know if "download" in this case means it the downloaded file is within the 1Password container or if it means its somewhere unencrypted on my iPad.

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2020
    Options

@LoriL2

Yes, the document will remain secure and protected by your Master Password, or biometrics like Face ID, Touch ID, if used. You can only view the document within 1Password when you have unlocked 1Password. Another way to put it is, the download is only within the 1Password application.

• LoriL2
    LoriL2
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana @ag_tommy - Fantastic, thank you to clarifying about iOS files.

How about on the MacOS? It has the “delete local copy” option as I mentioned in my original post. Is that local copy referring to a copy within 1Password app too?

• ag_tommy
    Options

@LoriL2

Those attachments on the Mac are also encrypted. Everything is local within the app unless you save it to a different location. In short, as long as 1Password is managing the download, it is secured when you lock the app. Moving/saving the document to a different location will fall outside of 1Passwords purview.

Items downloaded on your Mac would also marked as noindex to prevent them from being cataloged by Spotlight or other such software. The Mac app goes one step further than the iOS app. If you lock the Mac app, it will automatically and securely remove the local copy. The iOS app will maintain the local copy unless removed because documents may need to be accessed, even while offline. Such as traveling in an area with little to no cell coverage. Generally speaking, when using your Mac, there is a high probability you will have access to the internet.

• LoriL2
    LoriL2
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_tommy Thanks so much for the detailed explanation. I’m all set.

• ag_tommy
    Options

Glad to help! :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.