Imported Credit card fields in random order [Need 1Password folks to assist]

sneas
sneas
Community Member
edited May 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I am trying to import credit card data into 1Password 7 for Windows. I started with a CSV file created from Excel, and I used Mr.C's Converter to create the 1pif file.
All of the data is importing successfully, but the fields seems to be in random order.

If I manually create a credit card entry, the primary fields of (1)"cardholder name", (2)"number", (3)"verification number", and (4)"expiry date" are always in that order and I can not re-order them.
With the imported data, they are all different. The first entry created has those fields ordered (1)(4)(2)(3). The second is (2)(1)(4)(3). Others have different combinations, with no pattern that I can see. I don't think I can change the order of these primary fields once they are created.

Could this be something I did wrong with the data conversion?

Also, the "type" field imports as a custom text field, not as the built-in field. Is this the expected result for this field?

-Steve

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2020

@sneas

The csv converter is not concerned about field (column) order in the CSV file. It cares only about the proper column labels, specifically named, according to the README. Check your column labels:

• sneas
    sneas
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick response @MrC.
    I think I'm good with the formatting of the CSV file. The data is ending up in the correct fields.

My issue is that the fields are being placed in random order within the records. I'm not sure why, or if this is something I can modify.

I attached an image of a sample credit card record that I created manually, and 3 records that I imported from the same CSV file.
    You can see that the fields are all in different order, and they can't be moved.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@sneas

Got it. I've never seen this before.

This appears to be a (recent) Windows 1PIF importing issue. I have no control over how the 1PIF importer orders the sections and fields for a category template. The converter simply constructs a 1PIF, and 1Password should be filling-in the category template in the same way each time since it controls the import and the template.

The order of the data in the "fields" array of the 1PIF has never been defined, nor respected. If I intentionally re-arrange the entries in the array, the records in 1Password appear the same on a Mac, but on Windows, I see the same issue you see, where the fields are based on the order in the fields array.

macOS:

Windows:

The 1Password for Windows folks will need to look into this.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Any 1Password folks care to cpmment?

• I'm so sorry, @MrC. I'm used to seeing your name and import and assuming things are sorted. Thanks for leaving a breadcrumb to break our bad habits.

That said, I don't think we've changed a darned thing about 1PIF import in a good long while. We did recently make some changes internally to it to correct an issue with attachments importing, but that hasn't been released to the public at all so I can't rightly blame those changes here.

@sneas, you can reorder those fields, if you'd like. Edit the item, place focus in the field you want to move, then hold alt and press the up or down arrow according to where you'd like to move it. That's probably the quickest fix if the number of impacted items is smaller. If you've got quite a few, you might try pulling just those items' data from the original CSV and formatting it appropriately to import via the web instead. Still some legwork, but potentially quicker with a larger number of items.

I also would like to track down the exact cause of this so I had a chat with Mike and he suggested that if this truly is a recent development, it could be migration issue rather than the import itself. To hunt it down, we'll need to test with a sample 1PIF that produces the issue (or a CSV we can run through the converter ourselves). To make sure I'm creating a proper test case here, I assume the field names in your screenshots match their order in the CSV that ultimately got converted and imported?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Thanks @bundtkate

I'll get a sample 1PIF that shows the issue this weekend.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good, thank you @MrC :+1:

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2020

Below is a link to a zip on my Dropbox, containing a Zip with two 1PIFs, differing only by a Title and one that has an entry in the Fields array in a different array position as the other. On macOS, these two have their field orders in the same position in the UI. On Windows, there do not follow the default 1Password template positions, and fields appear to be in array order.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ghodx43wn0q9syr/Archive.zip?dl=0

• Thanks, @MrC! Our development team is out today as it's a Canadian holiday, but I'll leave myself a reminder to ping them about this when they return tomorrow. A point of curiosity, too – does the app you use to import make a difference? That is, if you import these using the Mac app, does the Windows app still show the fields in array order?

Also, I did go ahead and download those samples and have them tucked away locally so if you need to clear them off your Dropbox, feel free. I can pass them along to the folks that need 'em. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.